• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'97 Funduro, Flooded Air Box

VTGS1200

I guess I should drain the oil, remove the air box and clean and rebuild
the carb, new oil and air filter?? :dunno
The airbox looks like a PITA to get off?
Can you direct me to a 'how to' on this specific chore. (yep, tried search
and got more than I can sift through)

I bought the bike, did an oil/filter change and rode it about twenty miles
to a gas station that sells non-ethanal gas. I added fuel but did not top it
it off, maybe 3/4 full. I rode it back home, oiled the chain and parked it
on the center stand on a sheet of cardboard to catch the drippings.
It stayed there for more than a week until yesterday morning when I
went to the garage to find the cardboard soaked in fuel. It was running out
the airbox drain tube.
I'd neglected to turn the fuel petcock off....... But, maybe it exposed an
issue I need to deal with anyways.

I picked up the bike for a friend to learn on later this summer after she
recovers from shoulder surgery, so I have some time to deal with it.

I take it that the air box got flooded or shake with gas? I take it you suspect it was because the file petcock was not turned to off?
If this is the case, the gas will evaporate and probably do no harm in the carburetor air box area. If the tank is almost empty, it would be a good idea to check for oil in the engine. You can do this by a read on the stick, a sniff of the oil or even placing a little in a safe spot and trying to light the fluid. If the crankcase did get filled, an oil and filter is in order.
The flow of gas should be held in check by the float in the carb, sometimes they are weak from age. I have seen gas get pushed by a float in perfect condition for the fuel tank being left in the sun and just "give up" due to the pressure.
If the bike has sat a while, I'm willing to bet the problem will take care of itself. The bike is 10 years old so that is a factor. I have had this happen on a number of engines and found it to be more of a general PITA than a real problem to the machine itself.
Let us know how you make out.
Gary

Thank you for the reply, I'll wait and see when I get back from vacation in
a couple of weeks. It took a week to get to that point and when I moved it
to role it out of the garage a stream of gas poured out the tube. Because the
drain is on the right side I tipped it more to rain.
I'll follow up then.

Mike

Cool :thumb
I'm not specifically familiar with that carb setup. Some versions of carbs actually have an overflow drain tube which helps prevent any infiltration to the engine.
OM

Before you attempt to start the bike remove the spark plug and crank the engine. Stay away from the spark plug hole while doing so. If fuel filled the cylinder you need to get it out of there or you will get a hydrostatic lock - fuel will not compress!

Back