Thread: Stalling

Stalling

I have a 2000 RT. 45k miles. Very well maintained. Occasionally (frequency increasing) when I pull in the clutch the engine immediately dies. It will restart right away with no problem, while I'm still rolling. I can prevent this by keeping the revs up while downshifting.
    The bike starts and runs perfectly; no issues.
    Recent new battery and synching the throttle bodies and slightly increasing the idle.
    I use super gas.
    Anyone out there experienced this?
    Thanks, Bil

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mine did the same thing and I really don't know the exact solution. First, mine would only do it once after the very first start and then fine all day. I changed the plugs which was no big expense as I run the Autolites and then I bumped up the TPS to 1.9V.

Hasn't done it since.
    Last edited by dieselyoda; 05-04-2017 at 03:34 PM.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Bluenoser
    It likely has something to do with the clutch interlock/side stand switch. The way these switches work is as follows. If bike is in gear it won't start until you pull in the clutch or if the bike is idling and the side stand is down and you pull the clutch in to put it in gear it will stall. If yours doesn't work that way then one of these is likely your culprit.

A few years ago I had a 2000 R1100R that I shorted out the side stand switch as it was know to cause problems. Simple to do by locating the connector under the seat, disconnect it from the plug going to the side stand switch, and short out the contacts of the plug end that goes into the wiring harness, not the end that goes to the side stand switch. If you don't short it out the bike won't start. You do have to be careful as you can ride the bike away with the side stand down once you do this mod. When I sold the bike I removed the short and hooked the plug up properly. I never had any problems with the clutch interlock switch.

Something you can check out.
    1995 R100Rt with Kenna Sidecar, 1986 K100RT

Quote Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
    or if the bike is idling and the side stand is down and you pull the clutch in to put it in gear it will stall.
    This may be true for some oilheads but my 2000 RT will neither start nor run with the sidestand down, and I believe that is the stock behavior.
    - Glenn
    2000 R1100RT (current)
    1982 R100RT (traded)
    1970 BSA A65T, 1969 Honda CB350, 1967 Honda CB160 all fondly remembered

Quote Originally Posted by K7GLE View Post
    This may be true for some oilheads but my 2000 RT will neither start nor run with the sidestand down, and I believe that is the stock behavior.
    Same on my 99 RT. Will not start with SS down, clutch in or out. Just checked it.

The way the R1100 (not S) is wired, the engine will not start with the side stand down. If it does, the bike has been modified.

Left Coast Rider
    BMW obviously knew that S riders were "a cut above" other riders and knew that they could trust them to start the bikes on the side stand.

Yes, I know - not helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    BMW obviously knew that S riders were "a cut above" other riders and knew that they could trust them to start the bikes on the side stand.

Yes, I know - not helpful.
    They may have believed that but the reason that the 1100S behaves differently from all other 1100 bikes is that it uses the R1150 electronics platform, in other words it could have been called an R1150S.