Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps stupid, but not unreasonable question re: 600 mile break-in service

Perhaps stupid, but not unreasonable question re: 600 mile break-in service

I now have 716 miles, and am scheduled for service on May 10. The dealer is about 75 miles from here, I'd like to take about a 200 mile trip before then, probably highway and secondary roads. Any educated opinions on whether that is pushing the limit of break-in oil etc. In other words, I'd be doing the 600 at about a thousand. I know it won't BREAK anything, but I like to do recommended things at recommended intervals!! Is there that kind of leeway in the first service? BTW its a 2016 R1200RT

One the Similar Threads given below sort of touches on the subject.

Have you called the dealer? What about the possibility of taking the long way back after the service?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Back when Red was brand new, I'd taken a trip to Connecticut and wanted to hit Deal's Gap on the way home, but it would have put me past the 6,000 mile service. I called the dealer and they assured me, it would all be fine!

I can guarantee it was. Fine! Very FINE!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

The operator's manual for my 2015 GSA says that the running-in check has to be performed between 500 and 1200 km, or 310 and 744 miles. What does your manual say? And, ask your dealer's service department.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

"read the manual"
    "ask the dealer"

works for me!

600 mile service

If your dealer suggests the additional mileage will be fine you might want to ask them to email you the response so you have documentation for potential warranty repairs.

Not performing the required maintenance may place you at some risk for warranty. My '15 manual states " The BMW running-in check has to be performed when the vehicle has covered between 311 miles (500km) and 746 (1200km)."

Sounds like there's nothing wrong with some patience here. I don't HAVE to ride down to motocycleopedia in the rain this saturday!! It can wait!
    http://www.motorcyclepediamuseum.org/

There is no requirement to have the initial, or any other service, done by a dealer. You can find the tasks to be performed online (Sierra BMW generally has them posted) and do them yourself.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

My dealer wanted me to hold off until 1K miles. I split the difference and got it done @ 900 miles.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    My dealer wanted me to hold off until 1K miles. I split the difference and got it done @ 900 miles.

Harry
    When I made the appointment, they said between 600 and a thousand. All things considered, I just as soon hold off on any trips till the service. It'll be close to 800. It's not like I can't ride, I have 2 other bikes, it's just that the rt is so nice. The riding season upstate NY is short, so time seems precious. I can save the trip to Newburgh for another day. here are all kinds of great day trips from here in Cooperstown..

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    There is no requirement to have the initial, or any other service, done by a dealer. You can find the tasks to be performed online (Sierra BMW generally has them posted) and do them yourself.
    I love servicing my own, but I want the first service done by them. Just get off on the right foot, hopefully- assuming they go through it thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    I love servicing my own, but I want the first service done by them. Just get off on the right foot, hopefully- assuming they go through it thoroughly.
    I did the same thing, even though it was basically a $275 engine and final drive oil change... :o
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

found this...breakdown of what exactly is done on the break in service: Never heard of an "engine start supression test"
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B17...JUWXFuU0E/view

"engine start supression test" means "Will the engine start in gear (1) if the clutch is out OR (2) if the sidestand is down?" If either of those conditions is true, it shouldn't start.

I got my 600 mile service done at 1,000 miles. My worst miss was having the 24K service done at 26,221. But that was an accumulation of 6500+ miles between 6000 mile services. I figured if I was within 10% on the INTERVAL I was good, even if the actual mileage was not on the nose. Resetting to the recommended service interval was annoying as it was only 3500 miles to the 30K service. It's out of warranty now so it's all academic.
    2016 R1200 GSA

Just to wrap this up: I called the service desk at the dealer and he said even up to 1100 would be fine. It sounded as if they like to see them a bit higher than the mere 600. I asked if I should stick to the break-in 5K RPM, even though I'm past 600, and he said yes- which is fine with me- even with the 5K limitation, the gearing seems to still allow speed and power- even being gentle. Did I say I love this bike?? well....i do.