• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Perhaps stupid, but not unreasonable question re: 600 mile break-in service

rick601

I now have 716 miles, and am scheduled for service on May 10. The dealer is about 75 miles from here, I'd like to take about a 200 mile trip before then, probably highway and secondary roads. Any educated opinions on whether that is pushing the limit of break-in oil etc. In other words, I'd be doing the 600 at about a thousand. I know it won't BREAK anything, but I like to do recommended things at recommended intervals!! Is there that kind of leeway in the first service? BTW its a 2016 R1200RT

One the Similar Threads given below sort of touches on the subject.

Have you called the dealer? What about the possibility of taking the long way back after the service?

Back when Red was brand new, I'd taken a trip to Connecticut and wanted to hit Deal's Gap on the way home, but it would have put me past the 6,000 mile service. I called the dealer and they assured me, it would all be fine!

I can guarantee it was. Fine! Very FINE!

Voni
sMiling

The operator's manual for my 2015 GSA says that the running-in check has to be performed between 500 and 1200 km, or 310 and 744 miles. What does your manual say? And, ask your dealer's service department.

600 mile service

If your dealer suggests the additional mileage will be fine you might want to ask them to email you the response so you have documentation for potential warranty repairs.

Not performing the required maintenance may place you at some risk for warranty. My '15 manual states " The BMW running-in check has to be performed when the vehicle has covered between 311 miles (500km) and 746 (1200km)."

There is no requirement to have the initial, or any other service, done by a dealer. You can find the tasks to be performed online (Sierra BMW generally has them posted) and do them yourself.

My dealer wanted me to hold off until 1K miles. I split the difference and got it done @ 900 miles.

Harry

My dealer wanted me to hold off until 1K miles. I split the difference and got it done @ 900 miles.

Harry

When I made the appointment, they said between 600 and a thousand. All things considered, I just as soon hold off on any trips till the service. It'll be close to 800. It's not like I can't ride, I have 2 other bikes, it's just that the rt is so nice. The riding season upstate NY is short, so time seems precious. I can save the trip to Newburgh for another day. here are all kinds of great day trips from here in Cooperstown..

There is no requirement to have the initial, or any other service, done by a dealer. You can find the tasks to be performed online (Sierra BMW generally has them posted) and do them yourself.

I love servicing my own, but I want the first service done by them. Just get off on the right foot, hopefully- assuming they go through it thoroughly.

I love servicing my own, but I want the first service done by them. Just get off on the right foot, hopefully- assuming they go through it thoroughly.

I did the same thing, even though it was basically a $275 engine and final drive oil change... :eek:

"engine start supression test" means "Will the engine start in gear (1) if the clutch is out OR (2) if the sidestand is down?" If either of those conditions is true, it shouldn't start.

I got my 600 mile service done at 1,000 miles. My worst miss was having the 24K service done at 26,221. But that was an accumulation of 6500+ miles between 6000 mile services. I figured if I was within 10% on the INTERVAL I was good, even if the actual mileage was not on the nose. Resetting to the recommended service interval was annoying as it was only 3500 miles to the 30K service. It's out of warranty now so it's all academic.

Just to wrap this up: I called the service desk at the dealer and he said even up to 1100 would be fine. It sounded as if they like to see them a bit higher than the mere 600. I asked if I should stick to the break-in 5K RPM, even though I'm past 600, and he said yes- which is fine with me- even with the 5K limitation, the gearing seems to still allow speed and power- even being gentle. Did I say I love this bike?? well....i do.

so... the information specifying the mileage range acceptable, is in our GS owners manual... but is not in the RT document?
I think I'd have "break in oil" concerns at 1,000 plus miles... and that phone call dealer recommendation wouldn't help my worries much.

john

so... the information specifying the mileage range acceptable, is in our GS owners manual... but is not in the RT document?
I think I'd have "break in oil" concerns at 1,000 plus miles... and that phone call dealer recommendation wouldn't help my worries much.

john

It'll go in under 1K, which doesn't particularly worry me.

john

Do we really know what BMW installs at the factory? Is it actually break in oil and if so how does it differ from regular oil? I certainly have no idea other than some urban legends or internet scuttlebutt I have heard. Has anybody sent some of this stuff to Blackstone or another lab? Curious!

Back