• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How old is too old for riding gear?

riderr1150gsadv

I have a BMW Rally Pro 2 suit that has 100K miles on it and is 10 years old. It's been in the closet for the past 7 years as I stopped riding and just got back into it.
Besides a bit of fading it is still in excellent shape. Seams are good, armor is flexible and not ripped etc... Even the Gore-tex is waterproof. How long is the life expectancy of good gear???:scratch

If the UV has gotten to it and the integrity of the materials including armour are still intact, then I'd say it comes down to a style and fit choice.
Having said that, the technology and detailing of modern gear makes some older (even the premium stuff) function well below what is now available.

I look at my old leather jacket that I keep mostly for nostalgic purposes and although it still fits, it looks like a 30 year old bike jacket. A bit faded and a little out of style - a lot like me actually.
But I can't bring myself to take my 2015 R1200GS out dressed in it. It would be like turning up on a date with a younger woman wearing your old flared jeans and paisley shirt.

I don't have any way to test the integrity of my riding gear. If I were to put it on and did not feel perfectly comfortable with it, just a feeling you know, than I would start considering new gear.

Choosing new gear - a head scratcher for sure. This year I decided to go with Motoport. Should hear from them any day now that they are ready to ship ...

Thanks guys! So far it fits right and I'm comfy in it as well. I lost some weight and it fits better...:dance
I also think it is about fit, style however..... I don't care about fashion statements so that part is out.:ha I was just wondering when anyone would say enough is enough with a garment that is designed to protect us.

Back