• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ride Like a Pro Videos - Anyone used them? Thoughts?

skibumwi

All,

After watching this amazing demonstration of riding skills (on a Harley for goodness sake):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iq2ExxmNc

I've decided that I need more practice, just wish I could figure out how to have someone else pay for repairing any mistakes.

I came across the Ride Like A Pro series (https://www.ridelikeapro.com/) and was wondering if anyone had any experience using the techniques described? Any other useful guides out there?

Thanks,
Ski

Ski -

What's your goals? To become more like a professional racer or increase your awareness and skills while riding on the street? I think the two goals have a different path. What about the basic riding course or more advanced courses offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation?

You could also pursue some education through the MOA Foundation:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/general/custom.asp?page=streetstrategies

I've taken the MSF Basic course and was, frankly, not impressed. I figured I could use the insurance discount and it would be a way to work on the basics when I went to renew my license and skip the drivers test after a 35 year lapse. I couldn't believe how any of the people actually passed the class, there were some really bad riders.

I had been a pretty active rider back in the early 80's, when I averaged about 10K miles/year before being rear-ended by an 18-wheeler and giving up riding until about a year ago. My goals are to increase low-speed driving skills and improve my twisty road skills/confidence. Just general improvement.

I can't seem to find any advanced riders classes in my area (Milwaukee) but keep hoping something will come up at Road America.

Ski

Here are a couple of possibilities for you.
Total Control, LEVEL 1
May 27, 2017 - Madison, WI w/ Lee Parks
May 28, 2017 - Madison, WI w/ Lee Parks

Here are a couple of possibilities for you.
Total Control, LEVEL 1
May 27, 2017 - Madison, WI w/ Lee Parks
May 28, 2017 - Madison, WI w/ Lee Parks

I actually looked at the Total Control website in the past but did not (and do not) see anything listed in Madison. Do you have a link you could share?

Thanks,
Ski

Ride Like a Pro concentrates on tight, mostly low speed maneuvering, great for tight quarters and U-turns on narrow roads. I found that with a DVD and an empty parking lot you can learn the techniques on your own with some regular practice, reviewing the disc between sessions. You may not even need the disc, as Jerry Palladino has many of his videos on YouTube. Take your time, start with large turns and gradually tighten the radius as you develop the feel and balance. Eventually you will find yourself on the steering stops, controlling the lean with the throttle, brake and clutch. I won't win any police rodeos, but it is fun to embarrass my brother-in-law as I smoothly flip a U-turn and wait for his Gold Wing to complete a K-turn using reverse.:laugh

Total Control covers more areas, oriented more toward typical road speeds (though it also is taught in parking lots). They cover body positioning, throttle and brake control, line selection, gear selection, visual awareness and other areas, as well as some low speed work and classroom lectures on related topics. There was a good student/teacher ratio with lots of feedback when I took the course a few years ago in Maryland. I'm glad I went, even with the extra costs of gas, meals and lodging.

Both are worthwhile, but I think Total Control is a more complete package. The MOA Foundation's Paul B. Scholarship can eliminate much of the cost.

If you are going to the SLC Rally, there will be training available, with partial rebates courtesy of the MOA Foundation. Details are in the May issue of the Owner's News, and should be on the website soon.
I took the Streetmasters course in Hamburg last year. They covered quite a lot in four hours, doing an especially nice job teaching line selection.

If you are willing to read some quality food for thought, get a copy of David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling. I try to review it every year, usually learning or remembering something worthwhile each time.

All,

After watching this amazing demonstration of riding skills (on a Harley for goodness sake):

I've decided that I need more practice, just wish I could figure out how to have someone else pay for repairing any mistakes.

I came across the Ride Like A Pro series (https://www.ridelikeapro.com/) and was wondering if anyone had any experience using the techniques described? Any other useful guides out there?

Thanks,
Ski

More fluff than substance. He never stops the sell.

I agree with taking courses like Total Control or an MSF advanced course. The BMW road training is also OUTSTANDING. You will be doing slow cone work as well as track work. I highly recommend it. I have done both the road and off road one day courses. Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to use the MOA scholarship to help offset the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great input - Thanks.

I downloaded the Ride Like a Pro and think it's going to be real helpful at low speeds.

I order Proficient Riding and the Total Control books today, I also see that Lee Parks is going to be at my local dealer later this month signing books so I'll probably stop by and have my copy signed.

Thanks to the heads up on the scholarship - I'll apply and see if I can offset the TC course later this month in Madison.

Ski

Ride Like a Pro concentrates on tight, mostly low speed maneuvering, great for tight quarters and U-turns on narrow roads. I found that with a DVD and an empty parking lot you can learn the techniques on your own with some regular practice, reviewing the disc between sessions. You may not even need the disc, as Jerry Palladino has many of his videos on YouTube. Take your time, start with large turns and gradually tighten the radius as you develop the feel and balance. Eventually you will find yourself on the steering stops, controlling the lean with the throttle, brake and clutch. I won't win any police rodeos, but it is fun to embarrass my brother-in-law as I smoothly flip a U-turn and wait for his Gold Wing to complete a K-turn using reverse.:laugh

Total Control covers more areas, oriented more toward typical road speeds (though it also is taught in parking lots). They cover body positioning, throttle and brake control, line selection, gear selection, visual awareness and other areas, as well as some low speed work and classroom lectures on related topics. There was a good student/teacher ratio with lots of feedback when I took the course a few years ago in Maryland. I'm glad I went, even with the extra costs of gas, meals and lodging.

Both are worthwhile, but I think Total Control is a more complete package. The MOA Foundation's Paul B. Scholarship can eliminate much of the cost.

If you are going to the SLC Rally, there will be training available, with partial rebates courtesy of the MOA Foundation. Details are in the May issue of the Owner's News, and should be on the website soon.
I took the Streetmasters course in Hamburg last year. They covered quite a lot in four hours, doing an especially nice job teaching line selection.

If you are willing to read some quality food for thought, get a copy of David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling. I try to review it every year, usually learning or remembering something worthwhile each time.

Nice recap. I have Ride Like a Pro and Proficient Motorcycling. Agree with your assessment of both. Will have to look into Total Control as well.

I've taken the MSF Basic course and was, frankly, not impressed. I figured I could use the insurance discount and it would be a way to work on the basics when I went to renew my license and skip the drivers test after a 35 year lapse. I couldn't believe how any of the people actually passed the class, there were some really bad riders.

I had been a pretty active rider back in the early 80's, when I averaged about 10K miles/year before being rear-ended by an 18-wheeler and giving up riding until about a year ago. My goals are to increase low-speed driving skills and improve my twisty road skills/confidence. Just general improvement.

I can't seem to find any advanced riders classes in my area (Milwaukee) but keep hoping something will come up at Road America.

Ski

Not sure my advice will be of help to anyone who describes the Basic Rider Course as "not impressed."

Not insulted - just not sure what is motivating you, reference motorcycle safety.

As Lead RiderCoach at Road America, I designed two customized courses entitled Street Skills 1 and Street Skills 2. Both are for riders who are already endorsed, but wish to enhance certain skill sets. It's not taught in a parking lot, but rather on a mile-long course (the MotorPlex Track) that features a 60' change in elevation, 16 curves and opportunities to practice everything from starting and stopping on grades to group riding to delayed apexes in curves to picking up heavy bikes, etc.

It's taught by Andy Van Herwynen, an MOA member and commentator on this Forum from time to time, and an extremely experienced instructor.

As for "Ride Like A Pro" ..... I've watched two of them and will only say that it's like trying to learn how to play tennis by reading a book. Proper riding technique is a motor skill best honed on the seat of a motorcycle against pavement, interacting with a live instructor. If you think Jerry can improve your riding, by all means enrich his bank account. Nuff said. :dunno

I agree with Kevin on one point (and I never agree with Kevin). The only valuable training is on a motorcycle in a parking lot or track with an instructor. To me slow speed riding is the most overlooked aspect of everyday motorcycle riding. I cringe every time I see someone duck walking a motorcycle away from a traffic light, in stop and go traffic, or making a u-turn. To me there is a difference between technique (road speed riding) and basic control (slow speed riding). I see more lack of basic control than technique.

It seems that everyone learns differently from different approaches. I thought the Ride Like a Pro DVD was very good. If I took a class with him, it would no doubt be better. I have the Lee Parks Total Control book, thought that was good as well.......DVD would probably be better and a class, better yet.
If any of you go to these classes, try to a bit of a write-up for the forum. I'm sure we could all benefit.
OM

Kevin,

What's the difference between Street Skills 1 and 2?

Thanks,
Ski

Street Skills 1 (SS1) was geared (pun intended) for those recent graduates of the Basic Rider Course (BRC) who struggled or feel their skills were minimal at best. That was sort of referenced in one of the posts, where an attendee couldn't believe some of the BRC participants actually passed and earned an endorsement. Like so many national training venues, they are tailored for the 'lowest common denominator.'

SS1 reviews all basics of safe motorcycling (proper braking, curve entry and negotiation, low-speed maneuvering, smooth shifting, etc.), but at higher speeds and on grades, rather than a flat surface. It also visits starting and stopping on hills, picking up a bike, escape path strategies and other tasks not in the BRC curriculum. The course (nearly a mile long) replicates hills, blind curves, switchbacks, changes in elevation, straightaways,etc. - all without the danger of intersecting traffic.

SS2 is for the experienced rider (often, the 'returning rider') who knows the basics, but wishes to polish certain skill sets. There is 'chalk talk' time with Andy VH before taking to the range, and the needs of individual participants (passengers permitted) are incorporated into the day, if possible. Speeds again are higher (i.e. braking exercises) than a BRC, but know that speed is not what is stressed. Heck - the Russian Circus teaches polar bears to ride motorcycles fast - that isn't much of a talent ....... simply a twist of the wrist. Slow riding with precision - therein lies true motor skills, an opinion validated by my Motor Officer training.

Whether a novice with a recently earned endorsement or someone looking for something more challenging, understand that all motorcycle skills are useless, unless you are motivated to make them habits. FYI, you can bring your own motorcycle to either course, or rent one from the facility.

Take a look at the Road America website ( www.roadamerica.com ) for details of the courses, to see if they interest you.

Ride safe and ride often. :wave

It seems that everyone learns differently from different approaches.

Well said. Just like visualization seems to help many pro athletes (golf, baseball, free-throw shooting, ski racers)I think that reading/imagining can help Some people learn better. No doubt that experience is the best teacher but study can help you prepare.

Ski

Street Skills 1 (SS1) was geared (pun intended) for those recent graduates of the Basic Rider Course (BRC) who struggled or feel their skills were minimal at best. That was sort of referenced in one of the posts, where an attendee couldn't believe some of the BRC participants actually passed and earned an endorsement. Like so many national training venues, they are tailored for the 'lowest common denominator.'

SS1 reviews all basics of safe motorcycling (proper braking, curve entry and negotiation, low-speed maneuvering, smooth shifting, etc.), but at higher speeds and on grades, rather than a flat surface. It also visits starting and stopping on hills, picking up a bike, escape path strategies and other tasks not in the BRC curriculum. The course (nearly a mile long) replicates hills, blind curves, switchbacks, changes in elevation, straightaways,etc. - all without the danger of intersecting traffic.

SS2 is for the experienced rider (often, the 'returning rider') who knows the basics, but wishes to polish certain skill sets. There is 'chalk talk' time with Andy VH before taking to the range, and the needs of individual participants (passengers permitted) are incorporated into the day, if possible. Speeds again are higher (i.e. braking exercises) than a BRC, but know that speed is not what is stressed. Heck - the Russian Circus teaches polar bears to ride motorcycles fast - that isn't much of a talent ....... simply a twist of the wrist. Slow riding with precision - therein lies true motor skills, an opinion validated by my Motor Officer training.

Whether a novice with a recently earned endorsement or someone looking for something more challenging, understand that all motorcycle skills are useless, unless you are motivated to make them habits. FYI, you can bring your own motorcycle to either course, or rent one from the facility.

Take a look at the Road America website ( www.roadamerica.com ) for details of the courses, to see if they interest you.

Ride safe and ride often. :wave

Thanks Kevin - signed up for SS2

All,

Thanks,
Ski

I purchased "The New Ride Like a Pro" DVD and I'm quite happy with it. I found the exercises shown to be quite useful to improve my slow riding. The "Exercise Guide" that comes with it was especially valuable because it laid out the exercises that should be practiced to improve control at slow speeds.

That was my impression of the BRC as well. In my class, on the second day, one student grabbed the throttle such that her wrist was cocked forward and when she was pressed to the rear by the acceleration, it rolled the throttle on even more. She ran into a small Bobcat loader that was parked off toe the side of the range, and went down fairly hard. She jammed her thumb and bent the crash bar on the bike back about 30 degrees. She was able to continue and although she performed poorly on the test, passed the course.

I can't remember where I read it, but the stats show that there is no significant difference in accidents (maybe it's in the fatality rate) between those who have taken the basic course and those who have not.

Back