• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Painted Inside of Saddlebags

72r60/7

I have some very nice Black Aluminum Saddlebags. I recently painted the inside of the bags white w/ a rattle can spray paint.

Excellent !

For the upcoming month long (I hope) trip it's going to make a huge difference as to seeing the stuff inside, as I will be looking in there frequently, not to mention in low light conditions.

Wonder why I didn't do this years and years ago ?

Charlie

I used Rustoleum (sp ?) enamel that dries in 15 minutes. $4 @ Wally World and $6.58 at the local hardware. No prep except for a vacuum.

I really don't expect a lifetime paint job for $2 a bag. I'm more after function than performance, but $2 per bag/per year will be fine with me if it works as good as first impression suggest "Excellent".

I hope that it works so well that I will remember to report later.

I'm still reminded of the time a boss told me of one of my good ideas that "even a blind Squirrel will find a nut every once in a while."

Not related, but, that boss also told me on my last day before retirement "You'll be back"
Now I send him Postcards once a week from everywhere. For 6 years.
Motorcycles make me do that.

Charlie

Hopefully that works out as aluminum can be a tough item to paint.
I ended up glueing bunk carpet for boat trailers inside my Zega cases. It held up great over the years and provided a bit of protection for the insert bags I had.

I've been using the bags w/ the newly painted white interior, multiple times daily, for 2 1/2 weeks now and it's working out just fine. Im still "tickled pink" with the way it has worked out.
My wife even likes hers. Imagine that !

I failed to make it clear that I was painting over painted aluminum on the inside of the bag. (powder coated-black ?)
I would definitely do it again for any of my top loading bags that had a black interior. Just a lot earlier.

Charlie

I have always wondered why most motorcycle gear (saddlebags, etc.) is most always black. It is like looking into the abyss. It would be simple for the manufacturer to make the inside white. I have more than once dropped a black object into my black Jessi Bags, only to have it "disappear" :banghead. EVERYTHING is against me :).

Reporting back after a season of white paint on the black inside of saddlebags:

I don't keep the bags on full time, but did cross the country once (slow route) and did a week+ trip. Also the usual 2-3 day rides that end up somewhere beside home.

It has worked out great. Functionally the "difference between black and white". Still think that I should have done this to all of my bags for the last 45 yrs. There are plenty of scratches and may need recoating ater 2-3 yrs but foresee maybe 4 yrs service for me. That's 25 cents a bag per year for the bean counters.

Eliminated the "Abyss" so accurately described by Shortythorne.

Charlie

Back