• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yet another newb from Alabama

michaellong63

Hi, all!! I'm Mike Long, from Huntsville, Alabama. Owned my one and only BMW (for now) for about 6 years, 3 of which were spent acquiring parts and working within my budget. "Scrappy" was found and rescued in very raw form and needed complete rebuild. I have my oldest Brother to thank for performing the initial bulk of the work. I then took possession and finished it with some updates for reliability. It is a 1977 R100/7T with matching numbers, updated Alpha electronic ignition, Blue spec coils, Mikuni carbs, and pea shooters on Mac headers. It was a budget build from the start, but I am pleased with the outcome. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it draws lots of attention everywhere I go. As for me, I am retired Active Army and now work for the Army as a Senior Analyst with the Army Material Command. On a side note, I also do side work as a photographer for a small magazine which features cars, trucks, bikes and rods. Will NOT do the shameful plug as don't want to overstep my bounds. Hope to meet other members along the way and look forward to a lot of miles! Cheers!

Attachments

• bmw.jpg
    bmw.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 69
Welcome to the forum! Nice little project there. The red frame kinda makes it pop, huh? Did the bike make it into your magazine shoot?

Welcome aboard!!! Nice bike and yes, lots of work there especially if you did it all yourself. Love it when a fella truly does that instead of hiring it out. Lots of Airhead folks there in Huntsville as I am sure you already know. Tell Mike Robinson that I said hey and get him to join so you aren't quite the newgy.......See you down the road......Dennis

Welcome to the forum! Nice little project there. The red frame kinda makes it pop, huh? Did the bike make it into your magazine shoot?

Thanks! We did have to use it one month when we were just starting to perform bike features (an idea I had, of course hahahaha).

Welcome aboard!!! Nice bike and yes, lots of work there especially if you did it all yourself. Love it when a fella truly does that instead of hiring it out. Lots of Airhead folks there in Huntsville as I am sure you already know. Tell Mike Robinson that I said hey and get him to join so you aren't quite the newgy.......See you down the road......Dennis

Thanks! It was a combined effort for myself and my oldest Brother. He has a lot more experience with the big stuff. I will say that all work was performed in a garage, including the paint, though. The number of Airhead owners has grown since I got here. I know Mike quite well (he's also a member of the North Alabama Vintage Motorcycle Club, which I am very involved with), but wasn't aware he wasn't a member. Will have to work on that!

Hi, all!! I'm Mike Long, from Huntsville, Alabama. Owned my one and only BMW (for now) for about 6 years, 3 of which were spent acquiring parts and working within my budget. "Scrappy" was found and rescued in very raw form and needed complete rebuild. I have my oldest Brother to thank for performing the initial bulk of the work. I then took possession and finished it with some updates for reliability. It is a 1977 R100/7T with matching numbers, updated Alpha electronic ignition, Blue spec coils, Mikuni carbs, and pea shooters on Mac headers. It was a budget build from the start, but I am pleased with the outcome. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it draws lots of attention everywhere I go. As for me, I am retired Active Army and now work for the Army as a Senior Analyst with the Army Material Command. On a side note, I also do side work as a photographer for a small magazine which features cars, trucks, bikes and rods. Will NOT do the shameful plug as don't want to overstep my bounds. Hope to meet other members along the way and look forward to a lot of miles! Cheers!

Hey Mike, Ride that cute airhead up to Dunlap, Tennessee on Memorial Day weekend and make some Beemer friends at the annual BMW owners of Alabama rally. You are probably familiar with the rally once held at Ditto Landing there in Huntsville. If you don't care to camp you can get a day pass for Saturday and have a good time. You aren't far away from there up US 72 and TN 28.

Hello!

Hey Mike, Ride that cute airhead up to Dunlap, Tennessee on Memorial Day weekend and make some Beemer friends at the annual BMW owners of Alabama rally. You are probably familiar with the rally once held at Ditto Landing there in Huntsville. If you don't care to camp you can get a day pass for Saturday and have a good time. You aren't far away from there up US 72 and TN 28.

Thanks for reaching out. Rodger Williamson has actually been approaching me to attend the Chicken Rally. Trouble is, I will be in Deals Gap the whole week prior attending the 2-stroke rally with my Suzuki Titan. May have to swing through for Saturday as will probably be on my way back about then. Right now, the BMW is down for a transmission issue, but expect to have it back together before I leave for the Gap. May see you there!

Mike

Back