Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cyclops LED Bulb Replacement

Left Coast Rider

Cyclops LED Bulb Replacement

If any of you noticed what looked like a nuclear flash in the Pacific Northwest this afternoon, don't fret - its just the new high beam on my bike.

Based on the experience and postings of "lowndes", I ordered the H7 replacement unit for my S. Received and installed today. Installation is as simple as replacing the standard bulb. But the results are, in two words, "HOLY SH*T!"

I can't wait to go for a ride when the sun goes down. And if I run into any Left Lane Louies (or Louises), they'll be getting the paint on their trunk blistered.

Ha!!

If you really want to have some fun, put a modulator on it.

The real test will be time this LED lasts.

"We'll see."

Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
    Ha!!

If you really want to have some fun, put a modulator on it.

The real test will be time this LED lasts.

"We'll see."

The real test would be to record the lumen output at regular intervals from new.

I was amazed at the output reduction over 4 years with my hid low beam. The new lamp was noticeably brighter.
    Output lumens had dropped almost 30%
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post

The real test would be to record the lumen output at regular intervals from new.

I was amazed at the output reduction over 4 years with my hid low beam. The new lamp was noticeably brighter.
    Output lumens had dropped almost 30%
    Ive had the Cyclops since last year...one of the best upgrades I've done...it's a flame thrower at night...
    1999 R1100R
    "Big Blue"

Did you get the 3800 lumen or the 7000 version.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Honda XL600R

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
    Did you get the 3800 lumen or the 7000 version.
    4,000 lumens.

I think that equates to a zillion candlepower.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...Bulb_p_86.html

4000 lumens / 12.57 = 318.21 candlepower
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Left Coast Rider
    4000 lumens / 12.57 = 318.21 candlepower
    That being the case, what would be the candlepower of the stock headlight - 27 ?

H7 Incandescent - 1450 lumens / 12.57 = 115.35 candlepower
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Left Coast Rider
    H7 Incandescent - 1450 lumens / 12.57 = 115.35 candlepower
    Wow, the new bulb is 275% brighter. That's a number worth knowing.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    If any of you noticed what looked like a nuclear flash in the Pacific Northwest this afternoon, don't fret - its just the new high beam on my bike.

Based on the experience and postings of "lowndes", I ordered the H7 replacement unit for my S. Received and installed today. Installation is as simple as replacing the standard bulb. But the results are, in two words, "HOLY SH*T!"

I can't wait to go for a ride when the sun goes down. And if I run into any Left Lane Louies (or Louises), they'll be getting the paint on their trunk blistered.
    What bulb did the Cyclops LED Bulb replace? Hope that it could be a replacement bulb in my bikes.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    What bulb did the Cyclops LED Bulb replace? Hope that it could be a replacement bulb in my bikes.
    Hey, Paul_F,

The Cyclops is just a brand or manufacturer. They have a variety of bulbs for lots of different applications, vehicles. There are a lot of different bulb types, H4, H7, H11, 9005, etc. They vary mostly by the socket or mount in the rear of the reflector. The reflectors all have different pattern sockets that the bulb sits in. In fact most of these LED headlight bulbs are the same with different mounting plates. It makes them much easier to install, too.

You can look up your bike's bulbs (headlight, brake, turn, instruments, etc) here:
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle

They make a dandy little programmable modulator for brake lights for $6.95: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...mer/1082/2573/

There is a bunch of info on LES's, canbus etc, too.

Usually you can select the brightness (lumens) and color of the light (Kelvins) in a bulb type.

If you decide to get LED's for your brake or turn signals, get the red LED bulbs for red lenses and amber for the amber lenses. Colored lenses block all the light except that color so you might as well make just that color light.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I can't add anything to what lowndes has said except to say that I replaced my H7 high beam with this.... http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...Bulb_p_86.html

Not sure which replacement unit you need but if its for your R1100, this thread could be helpful (just scroll down to post #9 where the LED replacement is discussed - with pics!)..... https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ment-Procedure

One last thing - the folks at Cyclops Adventure Sports are a joy to deal with.
    Last edited by BC1100S; 05-01-2017 at 01:16 AM.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
    Hey, Paul_F,

The Cyclops is just a brand or manufacturer. They have a variety of bulbs for lots of different applications, vehicles. There are a lot of different bulb types, H4, H7, H11, 9005, etc. They vary mostly by the socket or mount in the rear of the reflector. The reflectors all have different pattern sockets that the bulb sits in. In fact most of these LED headlight bulbs are the same with different mounting plates. It makes them much easier to install, too.

You can look up your bike's bulbs (headlight, brake, turn, instruments, etc) here:
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle

They make a dandy little programmable modulator for brake lights for $6.95: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...mer/1082/2573/

There is a bunch of info on LES's, canbus etc, too.

Usually you can select the brightness (lumens) and color of the light (Kelvins) in a bulb type.

If you decide to get LED's for your brake or turn signals, get the red LED bulbs for red lenses and amber for the amber lenses. Colored lenses block all the light except that color so you might as well make just that color light.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I can't add anything to what lowndes has said except to say that I replaced my H7 high beam with this.... http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...Bulb_p_86.html

Not sure which replacement unit you need but if its for your R1100, this thread could be helpful (just scroll down to post #9 where the LED replacement is discussed - with pics!)..... https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ment-Procedure

One last thing - the folks at Cyclops Adventure Sports are a joy to deal with.
    Thank you gentlemen! There is a replacement LED headlight available for each of my bikes.

Although I seldom ride at night and I do have auxiliary lights, the headlamps on both bikes leaves much to be desired. As well, these should make me more visible to daytime drivers.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Wow, 275% ! Thats definitely going to get someone's attention!

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk