• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Love the new protection

ballen262

Well Im feeling a ton better getting these awesome protective items on the new baby.
Nothing like pipping out the ride.20170428_004719051_iOS.jpg20170428_004729769_iOS.jpg20170428_010618335_iOS.jpg

Many of the cylinder head protectors I've seen fit closely enough that cooling airflow is reduced about the head. I know these are "water boxers", but the total engine cooling is accomplished with water+oil+air. If one of these - air - is restricted, how much hot weather tolerance is lost?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Many of the cylinder head protectors I've seen fit closely enough that cooling airflow is reduced about the head. I know these are "water boxers", but the total engine cooling is accomplished with water+oil+air. If one of these - air - is restricted, how much hot weather tolerance is lost?

I thought the same thing hence the reason I did a crap load of checking them out online seeing if any known facts it they hamper the cooling of the heads, I did notice that their is an air inlet where air gets in but would love to see any test showing motor runs hotter.

I've had the same head covers on my bike, for a year now, and haven't seen any increase in engine temp.

You might want to consider a front fender extender. I chose the MachineartMoto Avant 12 since it requires no drilling and looks great.

You might want to consider a front fender extender. I chose the MachineartMoto Avant 12 since it requires no drilling and looks great.

I was thinking about doing that, I will take a look at the Machineartmoto Avant 12.:thumb

Only question is will there be enough clearance between my protection bracket I installed on head cover and that extender.
Gonna be tight.

Those are valve cover protectors, the heads are cooled by water, the cylinders by air. The valve covers don't get that hot, they don't even need heat resistant paint. They only serve to keep the oil from splashing out. There would be very little cooling effect from the small amount of oil contacting the cover.

Back