• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need a map

franko

Hi: I'm trying to layout a bimble route for some friends.
I think some of you are from the Waukesha area.
I'm looking for a plain paper map of Waukesha County. The maps I have been able to find are glossy and multi colored. I need to be able to highlight the route.
I was able to find plain paper maps of Jefferson County at the Sheriffs office and Walworth County maps at the visitors center in Elkhorn.
I've tried the office for Waukesha near the strip mall off of I94 and hwy 83. Glossy and colored.
Different map stores, same choice.
I've started stopping at hotels to check out the tourist brochure racks. They have maps for Milwaukee and Chicago, but nothing for Waukesha.
I ordered maps from the Wisc D.O.T.. They were plain paper but not detailed enough.
If someone know where I could buy the maps I need, I would appreciate the heads up.
Thanks Frank Coleman

Map

Rockford Maps has lots of maps listed for county not cheap probably not what you need also can get Delorme Gazetterr $7 to $15 on amazon
P.S. what is bimble Route spell check wants bumble, bing wants bible, going to sheriff office makes me think bimbo route

The map store formerly Milwaukee Maps is at 3720 N 124th, just south of Capitol Drive in Wauwatosa. They have "Everything"
Google them. I know they're going out of business soon but not sure when their last day is.

Ah, but as Daniel Boone puts it "I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." I wonder when a bimble becomes a serious journey?? :wave

Hi All: Success. Short story...... Waukesha County Parks and Recreation printed them for me a $5 a copy. Long story.....shortened..... Palmyra hardware store......to BP station. Bought a paper map, but it had the county chopped up into sections. Try the municipal building in Eagle. No joy. Follow HWY 59 to North Prairie, have a look around. Spot sheriff substation and see deputy getting in his squad. Ask a couple questions and he directs me to 515 Moreland boulevard. get lost on the second floor, then pointed to the right department. Told the lady what I wanted. $25 dollars later I had the 5 maps. About 32' by 32" in size, almost all map, no ads.
JIGGIN, you had the right direction.
179212, I looked for a copy place nearby, but the Kinkos and Staples have left the area and the maps that I had to copy had the county cut up into municipalities. Rockford maps was a bit more than I could talk myself into spending.
Womanridge, I called them. I think they are Milwaukee Map Service now. They couldn't help.
20774, Kurt, that was about the best definition I have seen. I should try to get the mug.
I'm on britbike.com so I guess that is how BIMBLE worked its' way into my vocabulary. It fits though.
Another thing I have noticed is that it is common for Norton owners to also own Airheads.
If some of you in the area are interested in the route, here it is. http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=64856&Number=599781#Post599781
Now you can see why I wanted to get it onto a map.
Thanks for the suggestions. Frank Coleman

Last edited:
Frank,

If you had a buddy that was a AAA (insurance) member, you could have gotten all the maps you needed for free (or maybe a couple of beers for your buddy). Great non-glossy paper maps in all different levels of detail: state, sectional, regional, city, recreational, etc. I prefer the regional series as it has the areas between the towns with all the back roads even down to unpaved roads if they go for any distance.

:dance:dance:dance

map source

I know I'm way late to this party, but if anyone is still looking for County Maps in Wisconsin, here is what I use:

http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/travel/bike/bike-maps/county.aspx

Yes, it is in color, but you can print in B/w.

This is from the wisconsin DOT and is designed for bicyclers, so it emphasizes the roads that are safer for bikes. These maps also point out which roads are gravel although my experience is that this is not always 100% accurate. If you want to avoid gravel (or find gravel), i would use these as a starting point, then go to Googlemaps and do street view or satellite view to verify.

another cool feature about these maps is that they also point out the Rustic Roads.

good luck

Dale

I also found similar maps for Iowa and Minnesota (color coded by surface type).

I have worked with the Eastern Iowa maps quite a bit.

https://iowadot.gov/maps/digital-maps/city-and-county-maps

click on a county, then select City and County maps. you can then open up either a color copy or B/W.

I just found the Minnesota county maps last night.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/bike/maps.html

at the bottom of this page, you can select the county and the map will be displayed.

However, I just found these and I'm still trying to figure them out. the legend is a bit confusing because of how they call out the different roads.

Back