• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

05 1200RT Fuel Strip

drummer

Frieden mit uns allen
I am on my third fuel strip and it has not functioned correctly since the day it was installed. It would register a full tank when only a gallon was left. Well tonight it did the opposite, it now shows a completely empty tank and I know that other than 45 miles, it is full. My question is, will this bogus reading affect the on board computer or any function of the bike? Also, is there anyway to permanently shut off the flashing fuel pump and the yellow triangle? Damn annoying ...

I am on my third fuel strip and it has not functioned correctly since the day it was installed. It would register a full tank when only a gallon was left. Well tonight it did the opposite, it now shows a completely empty tank and I know that other than 45 miles, it is full. My question is, will this bogus reading affect the on board computer or any function of the bike? Also, is there anyway to permanently shut off the flashing fuel pump and the yellow triangle? Damn annoying ...

Yes - the OBC will not show remaining range correctly. It will show average speed and average/instantaneous MPG. There are some posts out there about using a few resistors in place of the fuel strip to fool the computer into thinking you always have half a tank. I prefer to have what's supposed to work - work. So I keep going back and getting it replaced on BMW nickel.

Talk to your dealer soon. The fuel strip warranty was extended to twelve years, but yours might still have some time left.

Thanks everyone, I just think of it as time is money and I have wasted a great deal of it waiting for them only to get the same result. I have better things to do than to constantly deal with taking this thing to and from the shop or waiting in the show room. Believe me, if the intent is to wet my appetite to purchase new, it will not be BMW at this point.

If you take it back to the dealer, make sure to tell them you want a NEW strip. Apparently, some people have been getting OLD stock and those had issues. As for the mileage counter. I use the trip odo and I believe that some people have jury rigged the plug at the tank, to always show FULL and stops the light from flashing. I think a search on here might bring up that "fix". If you cannot find it, PM me and I will send you the pictures and document.

Back