• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

6000 Mile Service Call Rant..

erkj79

John Erkan
While removing tupperware around my 2014RTW bike to hook up a new power supply for my tank bag, i noticed that the a vacuum connection was not installed going to my right cylinder inlet connection on the rubber boot and the tabs were broken off the left side tupperware. The last service the bike had seen was during the 6k service interval where they had to remove the engine to fix a leaking gasket. So it would seem that whenever i drop off the bike for maintenance, I would need to go over everything with a fine tooth comb to verify they did not forget to tighten something or reinstall connections. I am so sick of this lack of attention to detail. I know the techs have a hectic job in servicing all these wonderful bikes but whatever happened to self checking and verification and ensuring the bike is good to go! OK, done ranting, but i guess i am talking myself into doing all the maintenance myself as I am the only one with a personal relationship with it....

If your bike was serviced at Max's I would address this with them. This is not how they normally operate!

Wow, I'd be pissed. I bought my 2016RT from Max in East Windsor, CT last September and haven't reached the 6000 mi. mark yet. Busted tabs on the tupperware without informing you would make me crazy. I'd give them a call.

If I'm not mistaken the tupperware tabs are flawed and easy to break. Most dealers are aware of this and should proceed with care on disassembly. My buddy's 2014, while getting worked on at the dealer, also had the tabs broken on one side and they tried to 'cover it up'. He noticed and raised a stink. They bought him a new piece of tupperware.

i bought the bike at max and they were great. i had it serviced elsewhere. Guess you are right, the squeaky wheel gets oiled....it is just the principle here, don't these mechanics take pride in their work. I mean, i am a pretty good wrench, but not perfect. I do make mistakes, but i really try to self check myself and try to be thorough and knowledgeable in the things that i do on the bike.

I pick up my brand new 17 RT in 2 weeks. Where do you check to see if the panel tabs are broken - is it obvious without pulling the plastic?

It was not obvious on mine.

Once you pull the panel once, and see it, you will have no problems with getting it on and off.

I came home and pulled mine and found it broke. The dealer was very cool and did not fuss one bit. I am sure these have been broken a lot by dealers and owners alike.

Copy that. I will inspect closely on delivery. Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken the tupperware tabs are flawed and easy to break. Most dealers are aware of this and should proceed with care on disassembly. My buddy's 2014, while getting worked on at the dealer, also had the tabs broken on one side and they tried to 'cover it up'. He noticed and raised a stink. They bought him a new piece of tupperware.

I don't see the tabs as flawed, though clearly not idiot-proofed, and if you examine one they're actually quite robust. Having read about people finding them damaged I asked the shop if I could observe the correct way to remove and replace these whereupon putting the left panel back on the senior mechanic proceeded to take the heel of his hand and bash the top of the panel directly into its tab as if it needed to be 'popped' into place (!!), which of course broke its neck. He literally showed me the correct method to break the tab off! He's very experienced and highly respected mechanic but I think his mind was elsewhere or else got away with it previously and never learned what he had done. They bought a new panel which retailed at $600 I believe--very unfortunate mistake I'm sure he won't forget.

I don't see the tabs as flawed, though clearly not idiot-proofed, and if you examine one they're actually quite robust. Having read about people finding them damaged I asked the shop if I could observe the correct way to remove and replace these whereupon putting the left panel back on the senior mechanic proceeded to take the heel of his hand and bash the top of the panel directly into its tab as if it needed to be 'popped' into place (!!), which of course broke its neck. He literally showed me the correct method to break the tab off! He's very experienced and highly respected mechanic but I think his mind was elsewhere or else got away with it previously and never learned what he had done. They bought a new panel which retailed at $600 I believe--very unfortunate mistake I'm sure he won't forget.

I haven't started popping my tabs on my new RT, but on another bike, it was recommended to put a little Vaseline om the male member (!?!) to help it slide into the rubber insertion point easier, it didnt reduce the effectiveness of the hold, but made it easier to pop in.

I haven't started popping my tabs on my new RT, but on another bike, it was recommended to put a little Vaseline om the male member (!?!) to help it slide into the rubber insertion point easier, it didnt reduce the effectiveness of the hold, but made it easier to pop in.

I can't decide if this is vaunted German "engineering" or "technology".

While removing tupperware around my 2014RTW bike to hook up a new power supply for my tank bag, i noticed that the a vacuum connection was not installed going to my right cylinder inlet connection on the rubber boot and the tabs were broken off the left side tupperware. The last service the bike had seen was during the 6k service interval where they had to remove the engine to fix a leaking gasket. So it would seem that whenever i drop off the bike for maintenance, I would need to go over everything with a fine tooth comb to verify they did not forget to tighten something or reinstall connections. I am so sick of this lack of attention to detail. I know the techs have a hectic job in servicing all these wonderful bikes but whatever happened to self checking and verification and ensuring the bike is good to go! OK, done ranting, but i guess i am talking myself into doing all the maintenance myself as I am the only one with a personal relationship with it....

I've been in the business for 35 years and getting technicians that are both knowledgeable and caring is darn near the impossible dream. I'm exceptionally lucky as the tech I have is both. He also happens to be the most expensive technician I have ever worked with and gets paid more than almost all dealerships and gets paid more than myself and I own the store, an independent repair facility. But he's worth every penny!!

Ultimately the cost is borne by the customer as I'm not independently rich. We experience almost no comebacks and no damaged parts. Is he perfect? Of course not. But after all these years he is the best I've ever worked with.

As to your particular problem... every dealership on Planet Earth goes through these types of problems. And, almost guaranteed the dealer principal does NOT want these things going on but it is so difficult to control and, almost impossible to resolve. What is critical here is to have a calm conversation with the service manager explaining the problem(s). Then stop talking and let the service manager take control of the conversation. See how he/she proposes to resolve the problem. That will give you a clue as to the integrity of the dealership. If you're not happy with what the service manager proposes take it up the ladder to the General Manager if they have one or the dealer principal if need be. If they broke something they need to either repair it to like it came in with or replace it.

The problem with demanding it to be done your way initially is you never allow the dealership to prove their level of integrity. You can always get upset and mad at the end of the calm person period. But to me I want to see how a store reacts to my problems without being prompted by me.

Lastly, and a critical step in all of this: when a customer says nothing about an issue that occurred almost guaranteed the powers that be will never know it even happened. Which means they cannot take steps to address the source of the problem; typically the technician. Possibly more training is required for example. Or, an attitude adjustment. It can be a number of things but if management doesn't know about it nothing is going to fix itself.

Another extremely important concept and the proof that the previous paragraph is an important element in resolution. Every single business going, motorcycle or otherwise, makes mistakes. If we all stopped dealing with companies that made a mistake there would be no one to turn to. Look at your own place of employment for example. How many mistakes take place there? What happens in the real world when a mistake takes place is many customers take it personally and react poorly. It's ok to get mad but get mad after you attempt to resolve it through peaceful means. Or, the customer never returns vowing to go elsewhere. "Elsewhere" has their own share of mistakes.

Most dealer principals care about what goes on in their store. Give them the opportunity to prove it. If you don't you'll never know their level of integrity.

I've been in the business for 35 years and getting technicians that are both knowledgeable and caring is darn near the impossible dream. I'm exceptionally lucky as the tech I have is both. He also happens to be the most expensive technician I have ever worked with and gets paid more than almost all dealerships and gets paid more than myself and I own the store, an independent repair facility. But he's worth every penny!!

Ultimately the cost is borne by the customer as I'm not independently rich. We experience almost no comebacks and no damaged parts. Is he perfect? Of course not. But after all these years he is the best I've ever worked with.

As to your particular problem... every dealership on Planet Earth goes through these types of problems. And, almost guaranteed the dealer principal does NOT want these things going on but it is so difficult to control and, almost impossible to resolve. What is critical here is to have a calm conversation with the service manager explaining the problem(s). Then stop talking and let the service manager take control of the conversation. See how he/she proposes to resolve the problem. That will give you a clue as to the integrity of the dealership. If you're not happy with what the service manager proposes take it up the ladder to the General Manager if they have one or the dealer principal if need be. If they broke something they need to either repair it to like it came in with or replace it.

The problem with demanding it to be done your way initially is you never allow the dealership to prove their level of integrity. You can always get upset and mad at the end of the calm person period. But to me I want to see how a store reacts to my problems without being prompted by me.

Lastly, and a critical step in all of this: when a customer says nothing about an issue that occurred almost guaranteed the powers that be will never know it even happened. Which means they cannot take steps to address the source of the problem; typically the technician. Possibly more training is required for example. Or, an attitude adjustment. It can be a number of things but if management doesn't know about it nothing is going to fix itself.

Another extremely important concept and the proof that the previous paragraph is an important element in resolution. Every single business going, motorcycle or otherwise, makes mistakes. If we all stopped dealing with companies that made a mistake there would be no one to turn to. Look at your own place of employment for example. How many mistakes take place there? What happens in the real world when a mistake takes place is many customers take it personally and react poorly. It's ok to get mad but get mad after you attempt to resolve it through peaceful means. Or, the customer never returns vowing to go elsewhere. "Elsewhere" has their own share of mistakes.

Most dealer principals care about what goes on in their store. Give them the opportunity to prove it. If you don't you'll never know their level of integrity.
Bwalker, very thoughtful feedback from the other perspective, thank you for weighing in.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Back