• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adding Velcro to Roadcrafter

RBEmerson

Kein Nasebohrer
I want to add two or three pieces of Velcro loop material to my Roadcrafter. I sent Aerostich a note asking (and I repent me of my attempt at humor) if stitching on bits of Velcro would cause leaks, loss of structual integrity, or allow passage of zombie infection germs. I added (I thought prudently) "only one of these concerns is real". The reply was stitching on Velco would compromise structural integrity. :huh ("I kid you not." -- Jack Paar)

Gee, drop $25-50 each way for shipping, wait out a week of shipping each way, wait out a roughly three week wait for adding ~12 sq. in. of Velcro. When the good riding time is here. :rolleyes

What are my real options?
  • Whip out my Pfaff sewing machine and stitch (damn! - I keep writing "stich"!!!) on the loop patches and stop worrying about the tiny holes and stitched together liner
  • Take the suit to a nice Korean lady to open the seams on the liner, top-stitch the patch on, and close the liner seams
  • Find some kickbutt adhesive (Liquid Nails sounds good...) to glue the things on, lasting until the suit has disintegrated around the patches

Why not put the patches on directly? Who knows, I might get PO'ed at some patch donor, stop finding the Aerostich Road Grimed Astronaut patch funny... that sort of thing. :dunno

Iron-on has never been a hit for me. I got a lead for something called E6000, a flexible adhesive (essentially a fabric adhesive), sold at Michael's. If I can sort out whether or not it's going to work on my waterproofed suit, I'll give it a try.

Iron-on has never been a hit for me. I got a lead for something called E6000, a flexible adhesive (essentially a fabric adhesive), sold at Michael's. If I can sort out whether or not it's going to work on my waterproofed suit, I'll give it a try.

Another thought...if you really want to sew them on, I would think seam sealer that is used on tents might do the job and keep the suit waterproof:

https://www.rei.com/product/705425/gear-aid-silnet-silicone-seam-sealer-15-oz

My sense is any water seal is better off applied from the back, where it can make full contact with the threads coming through the GoreTex membrane. I'm resigned to the fact this project is going to need an iron-on solution. The adhesive patches seem to be a little unclear about how well they work on fabric. At least iron-on's adhesive is supposed to soak into the fabric. Or that's the plan, anyway... :dunno

The velcro that holds the knee pads on my AD-1's seems to be done with some kind of adhesive, I don't see any stitching.

With iron-on I'd be concerned about overheating the fabric...I don't know how much heat it will take. Sure hate to melt a hole in a 'Stich.

Off the wall: Sew the Velro on where you want it. Then use a good seam sealer to cover the sticing on the inside. Or a waterproof iron on patch. Or, as I would do - both!

Back