• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rain Gear for a Naked Motorcycle

bluehole

As some of you may know, I have an aversion to riding in the rain. I have been told a good way to get used to riding in the rain is to plan rides in the rain as opposed to getting caught in the rain. I did this late Saturday afternoon when a front approached the area. I put on rain gear and left the house on my R75/5 just as the rain began falling. I learned many things on the ride, one of which is that I need to examine my rain gear.

Riding a naked R75/5 is a much different experience than the R1100RS, which I no longer own. The windshield and fairing on the Oilhead kept most of my torso dry. My head, arms, shoulders, lower legs and feet needed protection, but the rest of my body stayed relatively dry. Things are more “wide open” on the Airhead. I was amazed at how much more “intense” rain riding was on my current ride. There is no protection from the elements. This is something I appreciate about the R75/5, but not in the rain.

I rode 70 miles in moderate to hard rain. My feet were soaked. That was not a shock. I need waterproof boots. What did surprise me is how wet my torso got. I have a set of Frogg Togg Road Toads. They did the job on the RS, but not on the naked bike. Water penetrated the Road Toad jacket and soaked me down to the long sleeve t-shirt. The jacket could be longer in the back too. I found myself regularly pulling down the back of the jacket to keep it over the waistline of the pants. I am unable to get the collar to seal tightly around my neck (snap button-not Velcro) so that may have been a source of a leak. I like the Frogg Toggs and think they are fine gear, but perhaps they are not sufficient for this kind of rain riding.

Should I look into better quality rain gear or is getting wet typical when riding a naked motorcycle? I would hate to buy more expensive rain gear only to discover that there really isn’t anything that is going to keep you dry on a prolonged ride in a steady rain. Interested in your experience.

You should be able to stay dry with good waterproof (not water resistant) gear. I just spent much of this past Saturday riding and standing in the rain attending an off-road riding course. I was wearing a Gore-Tex jacket and pants, and at the end of it all, only the cuffs of my shirt were wet, and that was from them touching my soaked (non-waterproof) gloves. I've ridden in some really bad rain over the years and when I get wet, it's usually operator error like gloves dripping into a sleeve, not having the jacket neck closed fully or wearing the wrong gear (mesh jacket).

The first set of rain gear I bought was a set of Frogg Toggs. I found them to not fit very well, not work very well, and not breathe at all. I also avoided putting them on, so I would end up half wet under a bridge trying to get them on. Then when the rain stopped, I wanted to stop as quickly as possible and take them back off.

Look into some rain gear that is flexible enough that you can wear it all the time. I managed to piece together a like new Aerostich Roadcrafter by buying pieces on eBay and forums for $300. Of course you can always buy them new for a lot more money, and then Aerostich will tailor the suit to fit you. For less money, I would like at Klim, and Firstgear. Still not cheap, but high quality.

Any helmet would be good, I've had HJCs up to Schuberths, and never noticed much difference.

I've worn solid leather 6" work boots for year while riding and had no issues, even though they are not officially waterproof. A set of touring boots would help here, but boots are very personal, so it's hard to recommend anything. I've probably bought 5 pairs of boots and keep going back to my 15 year old ones.

... Should I look into better quality rain gear or is getting wet typical when riding a naked motorcycle? I would hate to buy more expensive rain gear only to discover that there really isn’t anything that is going to keep you dry on a prolonged ride in a steady rain. Interested in your experience.

Yes to both. You should have better gear, but you should also expect and plan on getting wet in a heavy-ish rain on a naked bike. I have what I think is terrific wet weather gear (Aerostich Darian, SIDI waterproof boots, a Schuberth full helmet, several pairs of waterproof gloves and two pairs of Aerostich "lobster claw" over-gloves. Mostly I am warm and dry while riding. But ... occasionally, I still get a little wet on a multi-hour ride in a heavy rain. Mostly it is operator error: not properly adjusting the Darian collar, not ensuring the cuffs of my jeans are fully covered by both the Darian pants and the SIDI boots, not making sure the over-gloves are properly tightened and sealed to my hands/arms, stuff like that.

I have never found an actual leak in my gear: the Darian is indeed waterproof if you treat and wear it correctly; the SIDIs are indeed waterproof if you treat and wear them correctly, the helmet is indeed waterproof if you make sure the face shield is properly closed and sealed. The single item of clothing that causes the most water issues for me is gloves. I have not found a pair of fully waterproofed gloves, hence the over-gloves. But if I wear them correctly, they keep my hands dry and warm while riding in the rain.

Good luck.

Several years ago I bought a BMW Rain suite - it worked great while riding in very heavy rain on the highway (R1200C - no windscreen) large enough to get over everything and kept me mostly dry (I didn't have weatherproof boots on).
I was told they don't make it/sell it any longer.
I'll be packing it with me in the morning as my 600 mile service is due and MAX is 45 minutes away - with rain in the forecast :)

Good call to deliberately go out in the rain. :thumb :thumb

I've just moved to a Roadcrafter one-piece (eBay comes through!). The older zipper (of course there's a new, improved zipper Aerostich will cheerfully sew into your old suit. For a fee. After you pay to ship the suit to and back.) is a bit on the coarse or open side. Some riders complain, some don't.

The two-piece version is just that - a one-piece with a zipper at the waist line. A friend in Switzerland rides her F800GS with a two-piece and is quite happy with it. YMMV (Prices on the used market vary from "buy a new suit and forget the $75 savings" to a size 38, in very good condition, that went for $355. I paid $550 for my 46L. The suit was ...um... it needed a good cleaning and the collar was... I don't want to know what was on it. I did a little active cleaning (Oxy-clean on some serious grime) and got a great looking suit at the end of the process. The Nikwax(*) treatment, if anything, made it look even better (or I'd like to think so).

Waterproofing boots is mostly a matter of chasing down what the people at Cabelas swear is the most waterproof stuff that won't spook deer. Ditto for gloves. (BTW, I've heard of people wearing surgical gloves to keep their hands dry. :rofl Anyone who's worn them for any amount of time knows that surgical gloves and dry hands is an oxymoron.

I have yet to wear a helmet that really works in the rain. My Schuberth S1 was a good helmet, but it turned into a greenhouse after the second raindrop. I have a Pinlock shield in my Shoei ST-Air. It points out the other problem with helmets: the shield may be OK but your glasses are fogging. I have yet to find a meaningful fix for this; riding without glasses is not an option for me.

(*)Side comment: I had several unsatisfactory encounters with Nikwax, and roundly condemned them for their miserable performance. And then I read the new instructions in detail. A new coating is really "water off a duck's back" waterproof. Nikwax Techwash and TX.Direct liquid come in a two-pack. They're not cheap. But the results speak for themselves. If you follow the instructions accurately.

Good call to deliberately go out in the rain. :thumb :thumb

I've just moved to a Roadcrafter one-piece (eBay comes through!). The older zipper (of course there's a new, improved zipper Aerostich will cheerfully sew into your old suit. For a fee. After you pay to ship the suit to and back.) is a bit on the coarse or open side. Some riders complain, some don't.

The two-piece version is just that - a one-piece with a zipper at the waist line. A friend in Switzerland rides her F800GS with a two-piece and is quite happy with it. YMMV (Prices on the used market vary from "buy a new suit and forget the $75 savings" to a size 38, in very good condition, that went for $355. I paid $550 for my 46L. The suit was ...um... it needed a good cleaning and the collar was... I don't want to know what was on it. I did a little active cleaning (Oxy-clean on some serious grime) and got a great looking suit at the end of the process. The Nikwax(*) treatment, if anything, made it look even better (or I'd like to think so).

Waterproofing boots is mostly a matter of chasing down what the people at Cabelas swear is the most waterproof stuff that won't spook deer. Ditto for gloves. (BTW, I've heard of people wearing surgical gloves to keep their hands dry. :rofl Anyone who's worn them for any amount of time knows that surgical gloves and dry hands is an oxymoron.

I have yet to wear a helmet that really works in the rain. My Schuberth S1 was a good helmet, but it turned into a greenhouse after the second raindrop. I have a Pinlock shield in my Shoei ST-Air. It points out the other problem with helmets: the shield may be OK but your glasses are fogging. I have yet to find a meaningful fix for this; riding without glasses is not an option for me.

(*)Side comment: I had several unsatisfactory encounters with Nikwax, and roundly condemned them for their miserable performance. And then I read the new instructions in detail. A new coating is really "water off a duck's back" waterproof. Nikwax Techwash and TX.Direct liquid come in a two-pack. They're not cheap. But the results speak for themselves. If you follow the instructions accurately.

I wear a BMW Street Guard suit and bmw all around boots, with full face Schuberth. Never gotten wet, on a GS nor RT. and I live where it rains, and rains and, well you get the picture.

Thanks for your responses. It in encouraging to know upgrading my rain gear is not a fruitless endeavor. I will begin looking at my options. Maybe I will repeat the process with improved gear and report back in a few weeks.

Thanks for your responses. It in encouraging to know upgrading my rain gear is not a fruitless endeavor. I will begin looking at my options. Maybe I will repeat the process with improved gear and report back in a few weeks.

Good rain gear is essential, but doesn't have to bust the bank.

Olympia and TourMaster makes some really great and reliably dry rain gear - check them out. :thumb

They have kept me dry on tours of 3-5k miles.

FYI, I have some Frogg Togg pants that I wear in light rain or mist while teaching MSF courses, but the garment is too light and porous for blasting thru driving rain at speed, with little fairing or windshield protection .... but then, you already know that! :dance

Seems BMW does make a rain suite - its very bright though - mine is mostly black

Why would you want a BLACK rain suit? Visibility is already compromised by the rain and road spray, so the brighter the rain gear the better. Black? Never.

I have never understood the desire to sit in the summer sun while wearing a matte black helmet and black gear. Why not just jump in an oven and call it done? Toss in that black really stands out on dark pavement (stick with cement roads...) and dark nights (all the better to surprise deer?) and rainy foggy days (step into the shower, with the lights off, it's safer) and... :dunno

Here's what happens while wearing a red Roadcrafter with blue trim (check the right-hand mirror) on a sunny day...

Last edited:
... "while wearing a red Roadcrafter with blue trim... "

Red is a good visible color ... but only in bright sunlight. When the light fades, red darkens and becomes a BAD choice for low light visibility.

I ride all the time in rain on my naked bikes. I stay bone dry on my 70 mile daily commute. Speed in the HOV lane is 75 or 80 (or else you'll get run over). I have a BMW Rally jacket (my Revit jacket was good but worn o ut) I use Revit winter pants without thermal liner for rain riding. For the past 20 years, I've used Rocky workboots. Expensive, but great. Breathable and you can stand in a bucket of water with no leaks. Sewn on sole. They also have a good sized heel which is nice for when you need to stand on pegs.Back when speed limit was 55, I'd buy a cheap Sears jacket and pants for 10 or 15 bucks and that worked great, but just for the season.

I have been wearing the BMW Comfort Shell jacket and pants for several years now and can report it is absolutely the most waterproof motorcycle gear I've ever owned. Coupled with my Daytona GTX Gore Tex boots, I've ridden in complete downpours for hours and stayed completely dry (including the crotch area, which typically gets wet from holding water on your seat). It was and still is ridiculously expensive, but I have no regrets. Since purchasing that set, I've not needed to pack any additional rain gear. It's also nice to not have to be watching fronts and wondering "should I pull over now and put on the rain gear?"

Always nice to meet someone with deep, abiding faith. NTL, bright colors and reflecting strips strikes me as improving the odds, even though we all ride in someone's cross-hairs.

... "while wearing a red Roadcrafter with blue trim... "

Red is a good visible color ... but only in bright sunlight. When the light fades, red darkens and becomes a BAD choice for low light visibility.

You're right. But it does brighten up in headlights. I hope...

NTL your point is well taken. The next (used) suit I buy, I'll insist the PO buy "hurt my eyes" yellow for me. :thumb

I ride a mostly naked R1200R - some distances in rain sometimes (10 straight days of rain last time I rode to California)

Roadcrafter 2 piece
BMW AllRound Boots - now replaced by Sidi Goretex boots
BMW AllRound gloves

ALL of these have Goretex. It works. I've tried other stuff - it works for a while and then it doesn't.

Schuberth C3 helmet - keeps my head mostly dry
Neck "gater" keeps water from running down my back past the collar.

You buy quality stuff once. You buy the other stuff many times. In the long run - quality is less expensive. Took me a while to learn that lesson.

I actually enjoy riding in the rain - but I'm prepared for it and consider it a challenge to do well.

Back