• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RS surges with a passenger.

tps3443

Hey everyone my wife finally started riding with me frequently. And my 97' R1100RS has no noticeable surging riding alone.

But once me and my wife, and gear are riding along I can feel the surging. It is very annoying. It feels as if the bike is getting blown by a gust of head wind, or cutting out. .

Will install new NGK plugs, valve adjustment, and throttle body sync resolve this some?

My wife only weights about 125lbs. It's just strange that it is such a drastic difference from no surge, to bad surge.

Hey everyone my wife finally started riding with me frequently. And my 97' R1100RS has no noticeable surging riding alone.

But once me and my wife, and gear are riding along I can feel the surging. It is very annoying. It feels as if the bike is getting blown by a gust of head wind, or cutting out. .

Will install new NGK plugs, valve adjustment, and throttle body sync resolve this some?

My wife only weights about 125lbs. It's just strange that it is such a drastic difference from no surge, to bad surge.

Yes - do a complete tuneup and then see what happens. Report back. The extra load would seem to be causing it to run at a slightly different throttle position at steady-state cruise. If a tune up fails to cure it then checking the position of and voltage from the throttle position sensor would be the next step. An improperly adjusted TPS could cause this.

Update on surging. Replacement spark plugs, if you can find a 5/8 socket that fits! LolAfter visiting several local stores I finally found one thing enough, to slide inside the cylinder head plug well.

I removed old Bosch factory plugs. Cleaned wires, purchased (2) Autolite 3923 spark plugs, gapped them to 0.31, put a little anti seize, and moisture block around boot of wire. Installed new plugs torqued to 15ft lbs. Surging is gone!

Bike feels more powerful, the plugs I removed were in terrible shape. Coated in carbon and looked very old. There's no way to tell for sure, but they looked to have 50-60k + miles or more on them.

I filled bike up with SHELL 93 octane premium gas.
Based on old plugs I averaged 40.8 MPG.

Will report back. Power feels amazing! Very smooth!

Total cost = $4.22

Use Autolite 3923 for 1100's

I'm gonna change them every 12K miles

Update on surging. Replacement spark plugs, if you can find a 5/8 socket that fits! Lol After visiting several local stores I finally found one thin enough, to slide inside the cylinder head plug well

I use the spark plug wrench in the factory tool kit. Not possible to utilize a torque wrench, but it fits like a glove.

Back