• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Headlight protect

Cycl2day

Cycl2day
Any recommendations on headlight protection. There is BMW around $150, ztechnik at $79 and SW Motech at $117. Don't want the jail bars, but the ztecnik looms good - anyone use one of those?

I have Cee Bailey protectors on my FJR. I do not know what hit me that caused the damage shown below, but the protectors saved me as much as $600.

photo_zpse43fe244.jpg

Cee Bailey replaced the damaged protector free of charge.

I have the AltRider. Don't know why, but the ones that rely on velcro to hold them on just don't do it for me. Removable is great. The GS/GSA lens is vertical which makes it difficult to soak off bugs using a wet washcloth. Pop off the protector and submerge it in a sink (or lay it on a soaking rag on a picnic table) for 10 minutes and they wipe right off. I do need to figure out a way to keep the reflections down though. If there's plenty of traffic or streetlighting it's not an issue but on a dark lonely road I find it annoying to have a bright area at the bottom of my sightline.

Hey thanks everyone. Not sure that I like the Velcro thing so the ztachnik or the AltRider lead the hunt. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the AltRider. Don't know why, but the ones that rely on velcro to hold them on just don't do it for me. Removable is great. The GS/GSA lens is vertical which makes it difficult to soak off bugs using a wet washcloth. Pop off the protector and submerge it in a sink (or lay it on a soaking rag on a picnic table) for 10 minutes and they wipe right off. I do need to figure out a way to keep the reflections down though. If there's plenty of traffic or streetlighting it's not an issue but on a dark lonely road I find it annoying to have a bright area at the bottom of my sightline.

My AltRider came with a piece of black vinyl adhesive sheeting (peel-off backing) to cover the lower wind deflector on my GS. I have not had any problems with reflections. You can download the installation instruction pdf from AltRider

http://www.altrider.com/files/produ...00GSW Headlight Guard instructions REV6.8.pdf

Ken

I have the ZTechnik on my 2014 GSA. The plastic isn’t as thick as I would have expected but it has worked well. It is held on by Velcro on the sides instead of the front. I was a bit worried about security when I first put it on but I have 15,000miles on it includeing a trip to Alaska and back with no issues. Once it is on you really don’t see it. Recommend.

Just a note on the BMW GS headlight protector. I think it's the most aesthetic available but that's just an opinion.
I saw on on a bike at the dealer
I've been waiting for mine since I bought my bike in August...they have been on back order for over 5 months, and still waiting.

B0009166.png

Back