Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gel seat pads

Gel seat pads

Has anyone tried those gel/foam seat pads for your motorcycle that are sold on e-bay? I wondered if they might help my tired old butt. I have the sheepskin and the beads also or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a Sargent or other custom seat. I ride a 2002 R1150R. Thanks for your help!

Don't know how old your "tired old" butt is, but mine is 64. One of the first things I did with my 2000 K1200 LT when my butt was 15 years younger was get a Rick Mayer custom seat. It made a TON of difference to me. When i bought the R1200RT this spring, first thing I did was order a custom seat. I thought I'd give Bill Mayer Saddles a try this time (brother Rocky). I haven't had time to put many miles on it yet, but I'm hoping and trusting it will do the same thing for me that Rick's seat did. I'm from Fairbanks and ordinarily put in long miles just getting to and from America up and down the ALCAN when I'm touring. A regular touring day is 7-800 miles. A long day is 1000+ miles, and I've put in back-to-back 1000 mile days before when trying to make a deadline some place (like getting to Homer, Alaska and my ferry reservation back to Kodiak Island when I lived there and was coming back from the Cowboy Curve Reunion in the Grand Tetons some years ago). That custom seat just made all the difference. Quite frankly my butt just never got tired. I'm not necessarily pushing Rick Mayer or brother Rocky (Bill Mayer Saddles), I hear Russel's day-long saddles are just as good. Others are probably good too. I have a Sargent World Sport saddle on my R700GS, and it's a "stock" custom seat, and not as good. But I don't need it to be because I don't put the miles on the F700GS that I put on my touring bikes. With a custom saddle, they want a pictures of your riding position, your height and weight etc. And thru some manner of magical calculation they figure out pretty closely what your butt needs. Maybe I just got lucky with my Rick Mayer Saddle, but it was worth every penny I paid for it. Miles and miles and miles of comfortable riding day and day after day is just flat worth the $500 or so you're going to pay ONCE to get it. Or that is my opinion.

Find a rider in your club who is about your height and weight and rides a similar bike who has a custom made saddle. Ask the rider to ride with you to a neighboring state (or some other place about 300 miles away) for a hot dog. Ask him if he minds trading bikes with you on your way back so that you can feel the difference for yourself.
    Mike Gray #103649
    2000 K1200LTC
    2014 F700GS
    2016 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by dabubba View Post
    Don't know how old your "tired old" butt is, but mine is 64. One of the first things I did with my 2000 K1200 LT when my butt was 15 years younger was get a Rick Mayer custom seat. It made a TON of difference to me. When i bought the R1200RT this spring, first thing I did was order a custom seat. I thought I'd give Bill Mayer Saddles a try this time (brother Rocky). I haven't had time to put many miles on it yet, but I'm hoping and trusting it will do the same thing for me that Rick's seat did. I'm from Fairbanks and ordinarily put in long miles just getting to and from America up and down the ALCAN when I'm touring. A regular touring day is 7-800 miles. A long day is 1000+ miles, and I've put in back-to-back 1000 mile days before when trying to make a deadline some place (like getting to Homer, Alaska and my ferry reservation back to Kodiak Island when I lived there and was coming back from the Cowboy Curve Reunion in the Grand Tetons some years ago). That custom seat just made all the difference. Quite frankly my butt just never got tired. I'm not necessarily pushing Rick Mayer or brother Rocky (Bill Mayer Saddles), I hear Russel's day-long saddles are just as good. Others are probably good too. I have a Sargent World Sport saddle on my R700GS, and it's a "stock" custom seat, and not as good. But I don't need it to be because I don't put the miles on the F700GS that I put on my touring bikes. With a custom saddle, they want a pictures of your riding position, your height and weight etc. And thru some manner of magical calculation they figure out pretty closely what your butt needs. Maybe I just got lucky with my Rick Mayer Saddle, but it was worth every penny I paid for it. Miles and miles and miles of comfortable riding day and day after day is just flat worth the $500 or so you're going to pay ONCE to get it. Or that is my opinion.

Find a rider in your club who is about your height and weight and rides a similar bike who has a custom made saddle. Ask the rider to ride with you to a neighboring state (or some other place about 300 miles away) for a hot dog. Ask him if he minds trading bikes with you on your way back so that you can feel the difference for yourself.
    I'm pretty sure Rick Mayer is out of business these days. Otherwise, your advice is good.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Heartbeat of my R100GS Guenther's Avatar
    I use pads from saddlemen.com for 15+ years. They increased the riding endurance of MY butt by 1-2 hours a day.

They are attached to the bike with a strap and Velcro and can be easily removed. Makes it easy to bring the pad inside when it is raining or, or on cold park bench at a stop.

/Guenther

Russel Day-Long
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Russel Day-Long
    +1 for RDL

Registered User jamesdavidhoward's Avatar

Question Russel Day-Long "Ride-In" Service?

Several forum members have recommended Russel Day-Long saddles, and the few that I've seen have been described quite positively by their owners. My previous custom seat (by another seat re-builder) benefited greatly by having my wife and I physically present for the re-build. Can anyone comment on Russel's Ride-In service ($80.00 + the cost of getting there ) - effectiveness, (added?) value or longevity?

Besides: a great riding excuse: there's a great variety of truly excellent riding scenery between Portland, OR and Shasta Lake, CA
    James D. "Jim" Howard jhoward@alumni.caltech.edu

I bought a gel pad for my wife to sit on on an Indian Enfield pillion seat on a tour once. She liked it
    I used it when we got home and hatred it.

If you are the kind that likes gel pad shoe inserts, it might be worth a trial. Other wise, put your money towards a custom seat.

I don't have one, but have wanted one several times.

Charlie

Krmugin
    FWIW, I stopped by Russel a few weeks back, to ask them the same question.
    They were very friendly, and helpful. I asked specifically about the benefits of doing a ride-in compared to sending in photos and measurements. They advised me that the ride-in was their preferred way to build seats, and that the results are superior to the mail-in route. They also advised me that their calendar is filling up rapidly, as they did not have a 'Winter slow down' this year. I hope to get a ride-in appointment later this year.
    Best of luck to you in your endeavor.

That is one of the most annoying aspects...most of the Custom Builders are West Coast. Not a lot of options for us East Coasters for ride in day services. I have a RDL that was used and it made a world of difference from my stock 06RT "seats". I know riders that have Corbins, RDL, Mayer and a few other custom seats and they all say similar things. Life is better. Asking about a custom seat is a great way to obtain info and tap into the vast knowledge of the people here. At least for me, in the end this discussion could easily go the way of Oil, Tire and LED lighting conversations. As dabubba said, the best way is to try out as many seats as possible and for decent distances so you can get a good feel for what your going to sitting in for hours. Plus it gives you a great excuse to go for multiple long mile days.

May the Schwartz be with you

Mike

Custom seat

When I brought my bike it had a Corbin seat it sucks big time I have a air hawk seat pad it helps on the Corbin

Not A Corbin

Quote Originally Posted by larrykelderman View Post
    Has anyone tried those gel/foam seat pads for your motorcycle that are sold on e-bay? I wondered if they might help my tired old butt. I have the sheepskin and the beads also or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a Sargent or other custom seat. I ride a 2002 R1150R. Thanks for your help!
    I have a corbin on a 2011 rt and it is not that much better than stock.It is way to slippery and at 46000 miles starting to come apart at the seams. I'm under 200 lbs and don't have much of a natural cushion. I have a gel pad,air hawk and beaded seat covers.The beaded seat is by far the best unless your in cold weather.

Has anyone tried those gel/foam seat pads for your motorcycle that are sold on e-bay?
    Think warm, very warm. Sitting on a gel seat pad is like sitting on a heated seat - not so good in warm weather.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I have an Air Rider gel seat pad-

https://www.airrider.com/category_s/1210.htm

I have found a couple of things with the gel pad....

If your seat is really uncomfortable, KTM, DR650, Husky, Saerto, they are a world of difference.

If your seat is of average comfort, the gel pads are still helpful- the difference is just not so dramatic.

I was quite pleased with the gel pad itself- the only drawback being a way to affix it to the stock seat so it didn't fall away or blow off should I stand up for a stretch. When I get a minute I will sew up a new outer cover that will have attachment "tabs" to cure that drawback. The Air Rider seat is kinda expensive but the "innards" are still fresh after many miles.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Gel pad

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I have an Air Rider gel seat pad-

https://www.airrider.com/category_s/1210.htm

I have found a couple of things with the gel pad....

If your seat is really uncomfortable, KTM, DR650, Husky, Saerto, they are a world of difference.

If your seat is of average comfort, the gel pads are still helpful- the difference is just not so dramatic.

I was quite pleased with the gel pad itself- the only drawback being a way to affix it to the stock seat so it didn't fall away or blow off should I stand up for a stretch. When I get a minute I will sew up a new outer cover that will have attachment "tabs" to cure that drawback. The Air Rider seat is kinda expensive but the "innards" are still fresh after many miles.
    OM
    Nice looking pad I think with it on the Corbin the seat would still suck, would be an improvement but.