• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R60/5 or R75/6?

htwashere

Greetings everyone, I am a newcomer to bmwmoa.org and this is my first posting. I'm sure my question has been answered tons of time before but this time as I am about to make some purchasing decision, I hope I am asking here to the experts. I am feverish about buying a vintage BMW. I know very little about them but have been reading everything that I can find on the big wide web. Recently I saw two bikes: 71 R60/5 and 74 R75/6 - they are both absolutely beauties. I have had a chance to ride the R75. Somehow, I saw the R60 for sale and is very appealing. I have heard some negative news about shorter wheel based, maybe lack of HP with the R60. Should I need to worry about this? I am not looking for super speed but do want to have some agility. I am most likely a single rider (not carrying my wife on long trips), and would like to know what your thoughts are...thanks in advance. HT

HT, welcome to the forum and BMWs! Hope you can get your hands on something.

I think in general, you want more HP and something that is newer than older. So, I'm saying that the R75/6 would be the better choice. Another knock on the R60/5 besides the shorter suspension is the tendency of the engine to ping. This is because of the camshaft timing they used in the engine and the high compression ratio - 9.5:1. It can be dealt with but takes some spot-on timing and/or aftermarket items such as base gaskets (reduces performance though), electronic ignition, dual plugging. But then you get away from the nature of the bike when you do all that.

I think the R75/6 is the better choice. Good luck!

It's a lot of reading, but more detail about model differences can be found here:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/models.htm

Thank you 20774 for a quick response. Yes those are some of the concerns I have seen mentioned in journals, so I was worried about it as well. As for the looks, I think it is because of the design of the gas tank on R60 and the lower handle bars that really appealed to me. I suppose I can always upgrade that on the R75 (should I decide to), right? Thanks again and happy riding. HT

Right...tank, handlebars are external things that can easily be changed. But in the end, go with what strikes your gut. If the visual side of things are strong, maybe that's what you want. The issues with the /5 aren't huge and as I've said they can be dealt with...it just might take time and money. But then there's the bigger engine!! Nice to have more horses to play with. :dance

I have had a '71 R60/5 since the early 90's. It makes me happy when I look at it every time I walk through the garage. It makes me happy when I ride it. It also attracts a lot of interest and questions when I stop because of it's age. People know it's an old bike. It is also a good size and weight match for me. I'm 5'8 and mid 140's. I mostly ride on twisting secondary roads and it is just plain fun. The big flywheel keeps things moving smoothly. I do get on the highway and it is fine at the 65 that I ride. I haven't had any of the short wheelbase issues mentioned. If tuned properly, which isn't all that hard and using premium gas, pinging is not a problem. I did add an electronic ignition because I didn't want to bother with the points. I have added about 170,000 miles to the 214,000 on the bike.
I have taken several fully, heavily loaded camping trips with my son on his 95 R100RT without any problems.
As for power, on one or two very long steep hills I often ride on I just go into the right lane and third gear and let the faster bikes pass me.
It is an all day comfortable ride. I have not ridden an R75 so I can't give you a comparison.
My conclusion is go with what feels best, fits best, if you can test ride them and also go with what makes you most happy. Riding is about enjoyment.

Adirondack Bob

Riding is about enjoyment.

Adirondack Bob

Exactly !

When it stops being fun, don't do it anymore.
That means #1 rule that I use about answering that question about "What I should buy ?" is buy what YOU want to. It's smart to ask questions.

I rode '70's 600cc's for 20 years and many miles. Paid $1600 for a new R60/5 because I could just not afford another $150 at the time for a 750cc. A few times, I wish I had bought a 750cc. I suspect that had I owned a 750 there would have been fewer times that I wished that I had owned 600cc. But that's just my experience.

You could buy both.

Charlie

I would chose the R75/6 if I wanted a rider. Reason: hydraulic front disc brake vs mechanical drum brakes on the /5; 5 speed tranny vs 4 speed on the /5; slightly better electrics on the /6. Also, the cam timing and 9.2 compression ratio on the R60 models makes them more prone to pinging on the gasolines we have today.

Decisions

I'd go for the /5 even though it's an R60. Plenty of power for a solo bike that won't be pressed to its limits. The lower handlebars are a plus for both comfort (with the stock seat) and control. The wiring is much simpler. As long as the charging system is working correctly and you're not running a huge bank of extra lighting, you'll find the charging to be adequate. You can even run a halogen headlight conversion. The front brake, when using aftermarket shoes and adjusted properly, will stop the bike as well as the single disc hydraulic brake that was used in the 70s.
The /5 can and should be considered a milestone BMW, far outpacing the /2 model that it replaced and becoming the basis for all Airheads to follow!

I would go with the R 60/5 also

The '74 R 75/6 is nice bike "but" there are some issues with them. It has hydraulic disc brakes and if the maintenance has been kept up on you are looking at some serious parts cost. The drum front brake on the /5 is just as good if not better when it is properly serviced and set up. This was the first year for the five speed transmission and that year /6 has a reputation of being tough on transmissions, a rebuild or used replacement can set you back a little as well. That four speed with a kick start will save your but when the starter doesn't work for one reason or another, the /6 kick start is mostly for decoration. The instrument cluster on any /5 on a cloudy day is far more appealing to the eye than any /6 instrument cluster on any type of day as far as I'm concerned.

Now an R 75/6 of any year is one of the most smooth running airheads out there, and yes they do have more power and can go faster than an R 60 any day of the week, its just the way it is.

Go with the R 60/5 and enjoy the view from riders seat, low handle bars, headlight mirrors, that incredible instrument cluster and the handle bar controls that are simple and nearly trouble free.

If you ride it for a while and want more power and get up and go all you have to do is find a reasonably priced R 75/5 or pre '76 /6 top end including carbs and slap it on, or buy brand new from Siebenrock but you will still need to find cylinder heads with that.

The other question is where you will ride it. If there are a lot of hills, the R60's power will be an issue. If you live in a medium to high traffic area, the lack of a disc brake will be a problem -- and it's not as if the single disc on the R75 is spectacular. Lastly, you don't mention how much riding experience you have. My opinion is that novice riders will be more comfortable on newer bikes that have better suspension and brakes (in this case the suspensions are not much different). I also suspect it wouldn't be hard to graft a /6 fork and disc brake on to a /5 if you're willing to have a handlebar mounted MC -- others here will know more than I on this.

Tough decision.
I ride a few airheads ( 77 R100RS, 81 R100CS) but when I saw the 1971 R60/5 I just HAD to have it. It rides well, runs well and I can't get enough of just sitting back and enjoying its form. (I kept it in the living room all winter. lol)
The tank, the lower bars and that gorgeous headlight assembly with the built in instruments.
I don't notice the difference in the shorter wheel base, the bike handles great and I've done all day rides two up with luggage with no issues.
My vote is for the R60/5. hard to find a good one.
You can't go wrong either way so don't worry too much.

happy riding.

Attachments

• 71 slash 5.jpg
    71 slash 5.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 71 r60 SWB.jpg
    71 r60 SWB.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 254
Thanks!

Hello fellow riders, thank you for your wonderful and insightful comments. I enjoy reading everyone of them. Sorry for being slow to reply as I was out of town for the last few days. In particular to @ccolwell, your comment "...you don't mention how much riding experience you have. My opinion is that novice riders will be more comfortable on newer bikes that have better suspension and brakes": you totally echoed the reason for my posting. Basically, I rode for a five years in my 20's then I have not ridden since for over 25 years, my experience is purely with modern bikes. After a long hiatus, I recently joined an adventure bike tour and rode a GS700. So when I went to test ride the R75, I was taken aback by its contrast. As mentioned, I have no expectation that vintage airheads should ride like a modern bike, but the test ride did get me thinking about what might suit my ride. And given my body size (5'8", 140lbs), i prefer not to go beyond 750cc. Also, my local area is really flat so no steep hill to tackle (I wish we have more mountains!).

@louieskretas: your R60 is lovely and my wife says to me all the time: "if you get one, you put it in the living room as decoration" :)

Best,
HT

My first bike was a '71 R50/5, bought in '84 in like new condition. Rode it on many and all types of trips. Nice riding companion, slow and mellow. 15 thousand miles total. My Second bike was a nice Ok '74 R90/6 with probably about 30,000 on the OD. Bought in '88. Nice OK, bike, nothing special. Good cheap touring bike. Econo rebuild in '91. Put the bike back close to stock with a few of my own touches, to plez my tastes. Loved that bike, then. Rode it endlessly, well over 100,000 miles. Acquired a lot more bikes, now I'm slowly selling them off. The R50 is gone. Sad, but to a good home. The 900 can just carry me at a little more brisk pace. Both are good bikes, I just enjoy having a little more power when I feel the need.

600?750?900?

I owned a 750 back in 1975. Good bike. Now own a 900 and I really love it. It has had some upgrades such as Alpha ignition and when the underseat master cylinder puked I replaced it with a handlebar mc. Made a huge difference. I really wouldn't rate the single disc on the 750 as a great improvement over the drum brake on the 600 but I never had a drum brake on an airhead so what do I know? Enjoy whatever you get.

I'd go for the R75/6. The 750 and 800cc airhead motors were/are the smoothest airhead engines. But, regardless of which motorcycle you choose, you should definitely hang on to any wife who actually encourages you to keep the motorcycle in the living room. :)

I'd go for the R75/6. The 750 and 800cc airhead motors were/are the smoothest airhead engines. But, regardless of which motorcycle you choose, you should definitely hang on to any wife who actually encourages you to keep the motorcycle in the living room. :)

ha ha, be careful of what you wish, the bike may become a beloved pet and never get to go outside...I am glad that there are still many passionate comments about this age old topic...cheers.
HT

A truly supportive Wife would

Insist and even assist you in buying both bikes, they can have equal time in the living room and on the road. She would be elevated to "placed on a pedestal" to be worshiped if she helped maintain and keep clean the budding collection. At one time I had four bikes in the living room, Bristol Grey R69S, Dover White R 60US and two W 650's one of which shared time with an R 50S. My Wife was always good with it but I moved them out on my own when it became a little cumbersome to move them out when the Grandchildren came to visit. I built a 1,000 sq foot shop in back and guess what, my Wife was more than happy to come out, get dirty, bruised and bloodied during the construction. Of course I reciprocated with buying her a Triumph Bonneville SE, renovating the Master Bathroom, building a luxury Kitchen and keeping her car clean and full of gas. 25 bikes and counting, sounds like some crappy weird TV show. '

My Wife even bought me a new BMW 1200GS

She offered to help put it together but let me assemble as that is part of the fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0573 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_0573 (1280x960).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 214
She offered to help put it together but let me assemble as that is part of the fun.

@69zeff65 what a coincidence, a friend at work just sent me the same photo, he bought the lego GS for his son to assemble, I reckon he wants his son to pay attention to BMW details early ;)

And your previous thread is awesome! it's good to have an understanding wife. Yeah, mine was originally very much against me going back to riding (for all the right safety reasons) but ever since I showed her the airheads and scramblers, conversation with her now has been all about "buy a nice one and admire it" non stop. As we speak, we are thinking very much about the yellow "bumble bee" R60 that is currently for sale. If Joe you're on this forum you may know that we are talking about you :)

HT

Where/how do you ride?

I was looking for a R75/5 for months while this R60/5 sat on Craigslist.

sddfcv 144.jpg
This is the way it looked when I picked it up. (Flat tires, no battery, non op for 10 years)
5000 miles from the original owner. It was a gift from his father, and kept it in a garage under a cover. (Next to his R1200RT)
All that was needed was a new battery, tires and most rubber bits/seals replaced.
It has sufficient power for around town, and once it's moving it's good on the mountain roads.
5000 additional miles in a year riding on local vintage/antique club rides.
All of the good riding roads are 50 miles + of congested/contested freeway (see 405/5/etc.) from where I start any trip and the R60/5 did not have any reserve power at highway speeds.
So I kept looking for a R75/5.

Then found this R90/6.

IMG_1106_2.jpg
It didn't look like this when purchased, it looks like this now.
I believe it was stored outside for sometime, when I picked it up it was in a garage looking rough.
Did the same parts/rubber bits replacement as with the /5 with a carb rebuild needed as well.

If closer to good riding roads, or had room for another bike, the R60/5 would still be in the garage.

Many parts are interchangeable and still available for the /5 /6, & /7. (Some seals are the same on a '70 /5 & a '92 R100)

If adjusted properly the stock /5 front drum brake is equal to or better than the /6 single disc. Both can be improved.

The R75, whether it is a /5 or /6, has more HP, and more importantly gobs more torque at lower revs than the R60.

Take your pick.

I joined the AirHeads MC after attending 2 of their Tech days.
Bill

P.S. I really miss the kick starter.
sddfcv 315.jpg

Last edited:
Back