Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R60/5 or R75/6?

Quote Originally Posted by khittner1 View Post
    I'd go for the R75/6. The 750 and 800cc airhead motors were/are the smoothest airhead engines. But, regardless of which motorcycle you choose, you should definitely hang on to any wife who actually encourages you to keep the motorcycle in the living room.
    ha ha, be careful of what you wish, the bike may become a beloved pet and never get to go outside...I am glad that there are still many passionate comments about this age old topic...cheers.
    HT

A truly supportive Wife would

Insist and even assist you in buying both bikes, they can have equal time in the living room and on the road. She would be elevated to "placed on a pedestal" to be worshiped if she helped maintain and keep clean the budding collection. At one time I had four bikes in the living room, Bristol Grey R69S, Dover White R 60US and two W 650's one of which shared time with an R 50S. My Wife was always good with it but I moved them out on my own when it became a little cumbersome to move them out when the Grandchildren came to visit. I built a 1,000 sq foot shop in back and guess what, my Wife was more than happy to come out, get dirty, bruised and bloodied during the construction. Of course I reciprocated with buying her a Triumph Bonneville SE, renovating the Master Bathroom, building a luxury Kitchen and keeping her car clean and full of gas. 25 bikes and counting, sounds like some crappy weird TV show. '

My Wife even bought me a new BMW 1200GS

She offered to help put it together but let me assemble as that is part of the fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 69zeff65 View Post
    She offered to help put it together but let me assemble as that is part of the fun.
    @69zeff65 what a coincidence, a friend at work just sent me the same photo, he bought the lego GS for his son to assemble, I reckon he wants his son to pay attention to BMW details early

And your previous thread is awesome! it's good to have an understanding wife. Yeah, mine was originally very much against me going back to riding (for all the right safety reasons) but ever since I showed her the airheads and scramblers, conversation with her now has been all about "buy a nice one and admire it" non stop. As we speak, we are thinking very much about the yellow "bumble bee" R60 that is currently for sale. If Joe you're on this forum you may know that we are talking about you

HT

Where/how do you ride?

I was looking for a R75/5 for months while this R60/5 sat on Craigslist.

sddfcv 144.jpg
    This is the way it looked when I picked it up. (Flat tires, no battery, non op for 10 years)
    5000 miles from the original owner. It was a gift from his father, and kept it in a garage under a cover. (Next to his R1200RT)
    All that was needed was a new battery, tires and most rubber bits/seals replaced.
    It has sufficient power for around town, and once it's moving it's good on the mountain roads.
    5000 additional miles in a year riding on local vintage/antique club rides.
    All of the good riding roads are 50 miles + of congested/contested freeway (see 405/5/etc.) from where I start any trip and the R60/5 did not have any reserve power at highway speeds.
    So I kept looking for a R75/5.

Then found this R90/6.

IMG_1106_2.jpg
    It didn't look like this when purchased, it looks like this now.
    I believe it was stored outside for sometime, when I picked it up it was in a garage looking rough.
    Did the same parts/rubber bits replacement as with the /5 with a carb rebuild needed as well.

If closer to good riding roads, or had room for another bike, the R60/5 would still be in the garage.

Many parts are interchangeable and still available for the /5 /6, & /7. (Some seals are the same on a '70 /5 & a '92 R100)

If adjusted properly the stock /5 front drum brake is equal to or better than the /6 single disc. Both can be improved.

The R75, whether it is a /5 or /6, has more HP, and more importantly gobs more torque at lower revs than the R60.

Take your pick.

I joined the AirHeads MC after attending 2 of their Tech days.
    Bill

P.S. I really miss the kick starter.
    sddfcv 315.jpg
    Last edited by tanker4me; 04-30-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

Bluenoser
    I owned a R75/6 and it was a nice bike. If you plan on using the bike to travel or do more than just a Sunday afternoon ride than the R75/6 would be a better bike for that purpose. It really just depends on what you plan on using the bike for. Both are small bikes when you compare them to anything out there today. There are some small mechanical differences between the early R75/6 and late R75/6 model. Mostly just seals and odd stuff like that. Good luck on your hunt.
    1995 R100Rt with Kenna Sidecar, 1998 VT1100T

Well, I gotta chime in too. I bought my '73 R75/5 in early '74. It's down in the garage right now, we're going up Hwy1 this afternoon to shake out some twisties. It's been all the motorcycle I've needed since I bought it (not counting the '63 Dnepr sidecar rig I bought a couple of years ago).

Ever since I put EBC brake shoes on him he can haul down from 70 easly and with confidence; no "morning grab" (a tendency the /5 bikes have (fitted with OEM brake shoes) for the front brake to grab, or jerk, in the morning for the first 100 feet or so (routinely dragging the brake lever clears the issue).
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Hello everyone who has given me the kind encouragements on this thread, I thought I should give you an update. I am happy to let you know that, after 7 months in searching, I managed to get a fairly good condition 71 R75/5, bought from a long-time proud owner of several airheads. I still have not had a chance to ride yet as the bike will need some TLC. As a matter fact, I have just posted my first "help" in the forum: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...+starter+relay. No regrets yet so far, even the wife is giving the thumbs up, so I think I will be happy burning hours in the garage this winter even in sub-zero temperature

Safe riding all.
    H.

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    Well, I gotta chime in too. I bought my '73 R75/5 in early '74. It's down in the garage right now, we're going up Hwy1 this afternoon to shake out some twisties. It's been all the motorcycle I've needed since I bought it (not counting the '63 Dnepr sidecar rig I bought a couple of years ago).

Ever since I put EBC brake shoes on him he can haul down from 70 easly and with confidence; no "morning grab" (a tendency the /5 bikes have (fitted with OEM brake shoes) for the front brake to grab, or jerk, in the morning for the first 100 feet or so (routinely dragging the brake lever clears the issue).
    Lew Morris, could you please provide the EBC brake shoes part number that you used? Either a post here or a private message. Thanks.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Possibly this info from Lew will help:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...=1#post1017421
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by htwashere View Post
    Hello everyone who has given me the kind encouragements on this thread, I thought I should give you an update. I am happy to let you know that, after 7 months in searching, I managed to get a fairly good condition 71 R75/5, bought from a long-time proud owner of several airheads. I still have not had a chance to ride yet as the bike will need some TLC. As a matter fact, I have just posted my first "help" in the forum: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...+starter+relay. No regrets yet so far, even the wife is giving the thumbs up, so I think I will be happy burning hours in the garage this winter even in sub-zero temperature

Safe riding all.
    H.

H, glad that you finally pulled the trigger and congratulations on the airhead. As an owner of both a R75/5 toaster and a R75/6, I have done many miles on both. There are aesthetic differences and some functional differences, but the engines is competent even today on back roads. You made a fine choice.
    A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving...
    http://www.classicvelocity.com
    12 G650GS Sertao, 92 R100GSPD, 73 R75, 58 R60, 56 R26

Quote Originally Posted by htwashere View Post
    Hello everyone who has given me the kind encouragements on this thread, I thought I should give you an update. I am happy to let you know that, after 7 months in searching, I managed to get a fairly good condition 71 R75/5,
    H.
    I recently sold my '71 R75/5. I owned it for 35 years. Rode it cross country - NY to CA, into Mexico then up to Oregon and back to NY - 14k miles total. I literally floated cross country at 80 mph. It lived on the street in NYC for 20 years. Ridden hard, and put away wet. Exceptional piece of machinery.

Best of luck with it!

ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - BMWMOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

[QUOTE=rdalland;1112158]I recently sold my '71 R75/5. I owned it for 35 years. Rode it cross country - NY to CA, into Mexico then up to Oregon and back to NY - 14k miles total. I literally floated cross country at 80 mph. It lived on the street in NYC for 20 years. Ridden hard, and put away wet. Exceptional piece of machinery.

Best of luck with it!

@rdalland: Lovely bike and photo, thanks for sharing....H.

My first BMW was an 1970 R60/5. I put 200,000 miles on it. I passed it on to my son, who passed it on to a friend. I understand the friend restored it. I expect you will love your R57/5.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped