• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 r 1200 rt iabs series 3 brake module problems

baronk

2005 r 1200 rt iabs series 3 brake module problems

Over the last year I have had intermittent ‘rear wheel wheel circuit pressure to high’ problems as diagnosed by my GS 911 (fault code #24972) and my authorized dealer.
After scouring the inter-net extensively for months, and trying all the great advice to address the problem, from the hogranch video on bleeding the system, the rear wheel speed sensor voltage, and removing the rear circuit pressure valve to see if it was sticking, I finally purchased a new module from a dealer who gave me a great BMW MOA discount, no shipping charges and no tax, and the part will be delivered this Monday.
I have been unable to locate any information on changing out the module and therefore this thread.
I am hoping someone has some experience with a change out of this part, who could give me some advice. E.G. do I fill the empty brake reservoirs before I attempt the bleed, should I use the brake bleed test using my GS 911 at any point to move the module brake fluid, and per a thread I ran across BMW issued a bulletin in 2013 that said you now only had to bleed from 1 bleed nipple on each control circuit (point 3 in the hogranch diagrams).
Thanks, Baron.

I replaced the iABS module on my 2002, r1150rs about 9 years ago. The RS has partially integrated braking, and not full as on the RT. While the 05 has a newer version, I believe the procedure cannot be all that different. I filled the iABS unit, and both brake reservoirs. The brake lines have to refill with fluid, so I pumped out as much air from front and rear prior to powering up. I then followed the procedure as per the manual. These older iABS units have 3 front, and 3 rear circuits to bleed. They have to be bled in sequence. No big deal. At the time I did not have a GS911, so I could not do the bleed test. I simply took my time, and probably used more brake fluid than necessary, but all air was removed. Both front and back reservoirs must be filled. They feed the control circuits. Without pressure from those circuits, the unit can't be bled. I am no expert, but my iABS still works and I have ridden 140,000 kms since. Hope this helps.

2005 iabs series 3 module

I replaced the iABS module on my 2002, r1150rs about 9 years ago. The RS has partially integrated braking, and not full as on the RT. While the 05 has a newer version, I believe the procedure cannot be all that different. I filled the iABS unit, and both brake reservoirs. The brake lines have to refill with fluid, so I pumped out as much air from front and rear prior to powering up. I then followed the procedure as per the manual. These older iABS units have 3 front, and 3 rear circuits to bleed. They have to be bled in sequence. No big deal. At the time I did not have a GS911, so I could not do the bleed test. I simply took my time, and probably used more brake fluid than necessary, but all air was removed. Both front and back reservoirs must be filled. They feed the control circuits. Without pressure from those circuits, the unit can't be bled. I am no expert, but my iABS still works and I have ridden 140,000 kms since. Hope this helps.

Did you have brake fluid reservoirs on the module itself? Is so did you fill the them before you started bleeding? Thanks, Baron.

2005 iabs series 3 module

Did you have brake fluid reservoirs on the module itself? Is so did you fill the them before you started bleeding? Thanks, Baron.

I received a private message in response to this thread but I could not open it?

Yes of course. Both reservoirs must be filled. They can't be bled without fluid. There are separate chambers. The fluid in the front are rear reservoirs on the iABS are separate from the front and rear brake reservoirs.

Back