Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who makes the most reliable motorcycle?

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar

Who makes the most reliable motorcycle?

Saw this on BR&TMR today. A Consumer Reports study from 2015 data ranked BMW 9 out of 10.

MOA #46783

If I recall correctly, it was done with a very small sample and was based on owner reports of having a single instance of a major fault during the first year of ownership. Still a poor showing, but hey, at least BMW was rated higher than Harley.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Saw this on BR&TMR today. A Consumer Reports study from 2015 data ranked BMW 9 out of 10.
    The results are factual but somewhat a joke. When "my bluetooth failed to pair" counts as one defect and "my cam chain broke" counts equally as one defect it is possible to get very interesting results. With this methadology, the more technology one has on a bike the more unreliable it will be rated. So, read the fine print if you are a subscriber, not just the headline.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    What precisely is BR&TMR, brother and the mister or something else? Is that English or some other language?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    If I recall correctly, it was done with a very small sample and was based on owner reports of having a single instance of a major fault during the first year of ownership. Still a poor showing, but hey, at least BMW was rated higher than Harley.
    Not exactly, it was ranked from worst to first.

wanderer
    It is certainly NOT BMW!

I love mine, but if my only criteria for a motorcycle it would not be BMW!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    What precisely is BR&TMR, brother and the mister or something else? Is that English or some other language?
    Bench Racing & The Morning Reads, Mika's excellent continuing post in the Campfire.
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

Wow!

That's it, I'm giving both of my BMW's away. On second thought, after 250K miles all I've had to replace tires and batteries. Guess mine have been ok.
    I do get a kick out of silly stuff like this.
    Marty Hill
    7 GS white

Ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by bobs98 View Post
    Bench Racing & The Morning Reads, Mika's excellent continuing post in the Campfire.
    Which can be found here

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    I do get a kick out of silly stuff like this.
    Might seem silly and you can dispute the methodology of the review, the sample size, whatever else. Still, to show up next to last out of 10 manufacturers in a Consumer Reports ranking can not be considered a good thing IMHO.

Imagine perceived lack of quality control, by many BMW buyers, given motorcycle's premium cost is one basis for this ranking. Either by being mislead or uninformed many buyers anticipate a well sorted machine for their $20,000 - $30,000. You know, the Ultimate...but when common (simple) long time used technology fails, they respond quickly...to anyone who'll listen. Items such as antenna rings, water pumps, fuel level sensors, final drives, wheel hubs, fuel connectors, gear switch assemblies, rear struts and on. Maybe the guy/gal who paid $6,000 or $12,000 doesn't have the same level of expectation or is as quick to voice a complaint? They are machines, they break, they get fixed....but as the asking price rises so do expectations. After all BMW spends quite a bit of money and time telling the customer exactly that...their expectations should be higher....because it's a BMW.
    MOA #46783

Bluenoser
    The Survey is what it is, a snapshot in time of 10 manufacturers product. Being near the bottom is not a good thing no matter how you slice it.
    1999 R1100s, 1998 VT1100T

I like BMWs, I really do. There are three in the shop now and there may be another one in there soon..... but, I also own two Yamahas (2013 FJR and 2012 Super Tenere). My experience with both bikes has been great (no problems), but is anecdotal and irrelevant. What I do think is enlightening is the content and tone of the three Yamaha forums I visit. It is my observation that there are far fewer posts regarding problems with the bikes and particularly posts regarding deadlining problems, but more telling to me is the tone of the posts. The posters seldom see the need to defend the bikes or dismiss criticism of the brand. Certainly there are critical comments about one aspect or another of the bikes and how corporate Yamaha handles issues, but the complaints are not deemed silly, inflated or just the rider having unreasonable expectations. (Yamaha was the best rated brand in the cited survey) To dismiss the reports of systemic problems with BMW motorcycles is denying the obvious. They may have been overstated and some riders may not have had any problems in many miles, but it is in my opinion irrefutable that BMW motorcycles have had more issues than is reasonable to expect of a motorcyle of any cost.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

This, of course, is old news. That said, it's somewhat comparable to the overall poor reliability ratings that German car manufacturers have been getting in CR's reliability surveys over the last number of years. In fact, there was a special article in CR a couple of years ago, examining why that might be, especially since many of their cars are "premium" brands.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure