• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who makes the most reliable motorcycle?

if it had been the R1100 would have driven tv truck home to get other truck and trailer and make 250 mile round trip to get bike back

Why: disconnect the return line to the tank, flip key on and off and on repeatedly to keep fuel pump running. When no more gas squirts add fresh gas and some Heet. Ride home.

Knowledge

Why: disconnect the return line to the tank, flip key on and off and on repeatedly to keep fuel pump running. When no more gas squirts add fresh gas and some Heet. Ride home.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing you have it I don't i do know now how to do now to fix water in tank problem on R1100 RS would have a fifty fifty chance of getting right line. Whith both bikes sitting in shop and able to get me where I want to go I have put 50,000 plus miles on one bike and have not worn out a set of tires on the other. I do think the stock seat on the R100 is much better than Corbin that came on R1100 but other than that no comparison. Question is a 2017 RS 1200 way better than a 1994 R1100RS (abs)?

Very interesting thread. BMW is one of the top ten most valuable brand names in the world. That ranking has little to do with product reliability. I would suggest most purchases are decided on how the product looks, and the image one want to exhibit. Lets face it. We are all in love with the BMW lifestyle.

Uh ... not all of us, anyway.

While I love riding, and appreciate boxer motors (whether they be Maytag or BMW, Corvair, etc), I want absolutely nothing to do with whatever Kool-Aid might be associated with a "BMW lifestyle". I can and will decide on my own what I like and don't like, and a pretty logo alone is not likely to sway my opinion much over more objective consideration.

BMW is a manufacturer, not a deity. Purchasing their products is an option, not an obligation.

While I love riding, and appreciate boxer motors (whether they be Maytag or BMW, Corvair, etc), I want absolutely nothing to do with whatever Kool-Aid might be associated with a "BMW lifestyle". I can and will decide on my own what I like and don't like, and a pretty logo alone is not likely to sway my opinion much over more objective consideration.

BMW is a manufacturer, not a deity. Purchasing their products is an option, not an obligation.

:thumb. Whole heartedly agree. BMW lifestyle? What does that mean anyway? BMW makes great motors. I'm not so sure about the rest of the bikes. Successful marketing departments will always suck some people in. That's what they're supposed to do. But it's a mistake to assume we're all tarred with the same brush.

Many a slip between cup and lip. The irony is BMW is on the same page. The underlying theme of "Make Life A Ride" is not intended to be prescriptive rather is intended to encourage people to do what they want with BMW motorcycles.

I totally agree. I looked at my current bike for some things that were on my checklist, like sub-1000cc engine, fairing, and a shaft or belt drive. That it came with a BMW logo, wasn't a draw one way or another.

I do find it interesting looking at this forum and the responses in general. I don't, and probably never will, own a Harley. But much of what I see on this forum, is just like what I imagine the HD forums etc. are like. You can't just buy the bike and enjoy it. You have to have the right "costume". For HD riders, it's the pirate look. For BMW riders, it seems it must be Klim or Aerostitch. For farkles, the HD owners have to have just the right ones so when everyone is gathering around your bike at the nearest watering hole, you bought the right stuff and you'll get nodding heads of approval. I see the same thing here for auxiliary lighting, etc.

The other part I find interesting is if you go to the lesser BMW group, the F800-Riders group...I never see that attitude. If it works, great. Use it. It's like they didn't drink the Kool-aid and buy into the whole BMW image thing. This quote from one of the members in talking about bar risers, sums up the idea well.

ahhh.... the price of ownership into this club.
Risers for the Vstrom... $50.. risers for the GT... $229... peg lowers for the Vstrom.. $80.. peg lowers for the GT.. $179... the feeling of riding the GT now... priceless...

Enjoy. I'll pass on the Kool-aid, but do you have any coffee?

Chris

Earlier in this thread I read some text regarding the age of the MOA member and the type of bike... etc. Joining to learn to care for the bikes, staying for the company and so on. The gist being that BMW is just fine and that the MOA's perception of it is dated. I think that might have a ring of truth to it. BMWs have always had problems despite being long lived machines. That is still true - just different kinds of problems.

I'm kindof new here - and not active on this forum much because, if we are being honest, there isn't much activity here. The last post in some of the forums pre-dates the wethead (I kid, almost ;) ). I joined when I did for the stated reason... DIY help. At the time I had an R1200GS Adventure that I ran all over the US with for 30k miles and had some of the more common issues (ABS, clutch slave, etc). But, most of my answers came from advrider because it is a very large, active and well run internet resource that has all the answers instantly, almost all the time. I have since met many of the members there and stayed for the company. So, that line of thinking does bear out, just not here for me. I think that people who join the MOA in my age bracket (45-49) and younger that can afford a new BMW bike are going where there is more activity for answers - and staying there. The MOA's internet presence is not a compelling reason to join or stay but it's the only face of the club for many of us who do not have a local branch.

So... my point (if I actually had one) is that I just bought an S1000XR to replace my GS Adv. A new BMW with more electrowhizbangery and high tech internals than almost any other bike on the planet. It's amazing. I'm going to need some DIY help. It's not here. My membership is due and I'm finding it hard to justify the MOA, but I had no such problem writing a check to BMW for a new bike. A few problems can be part of the deal with any bike but, to me, BMW is delivering the goods right now in a very compelling way.

Last edited:
You can't just buy the bike and enjoy it. You have to have the right "costume". For HD riders, it's the pirate look. For BMW riders, it seems it must be Klim or Aerostitch. For farkles, the HD owners have to have just the right ones so when everyone is gathering around your bike at the nearest watering hole, you bought the right stuff and you'll get nodding heads of approval. I see the same thing here for auxiliary lighting, etc.

No way. BMW riders are more into longer rides, touring, and so on. With the emphasis on actually riding, it is natural for BMW folks to be into practical riding gear to deal with a wider range of weather while on longer rides. We're also into surviving get-offs so we can live to ride another day - thus the emphasis on full-face helmets, full-coverage riding gear, and *gasp* making ourselves more visible to other motorists by the use of auxiliary lighting and hi-viz gear. In general, we don't submit to peer pressure to wear black from head to toe like the pirates do. It's got nothing to do with image, it's all about function - and common sense.

Ride any brand bike you want, just don't tell me what motivates me or try to tell me why I dress the way I do when I ride.

Harry

So... my point (if I actually had one) is that I just bought an S1000XR to replace my GS Adv. A new BMW with more electrowhizbangery and high tech internals than almost any other bike on the planet. It's amazing. I'm going to need some DIY help. It's not here. My membership is due and I'm finding it hard to justify the MOA, but I had no such problem writing a check to BMW for a new bike. A few problems can be part of the deal with any bike but, to me, BMW is delivering the goods right now in a very compelling way.

This should be a concern for leadership. The MOA is moving away from where BMW is, potential members and their needs.

Snip.. BMW riders are more into longer rides, touring, and so on. With the emphasis on actually riding,...snipped...

I agree with the latter but no longer the former. Clearly longer rides and touring are what the majority of MOA members are interested in. BMW riders present a much more complex combination of ridding styles and interests.

This should be a concern for leadership. The MOA is moving away from where BMW is, potential members and their needs.

I agree with the latter but no longer the former. Clearly longer rides and touring are what the majority of MOA members are interested in. BMW riders present a much more complex combination of ridding styles and interests.

I am seeing some pretty myopic opinions here. BMW riders run a wide gamut. Sure the young rider with little cash is likely on something else, certainly not an RT. If you look outside the touring segment of MOA and BMW there is a much larger market that is active. Just look at the continued sales of the "premium" bikes that BMW sells, whether it is naked, race, road, or off-road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No way. BMW riders are more into longer rides, touring, and so on. With the emphasis on actually riding, it is natural for BMW folks to be into practical riding gear to deal with a wider range of weather while on longer rides. We're also into surviving get-offs so we can live to ride another day - thus the emphasis on full-face helmets, full-coverage riding gear, and *gasp* making ourselves more visible to other motorists by the use of auxiliary lighting and hi-viz gear. In general, we don't submit to peer pressure to wear black from head to toe like the pirates do. It's got nothing to do with image, it's all about function - and common sense.

Ride any brand bike you want, just don't tell me what motivates me or try to tell me why I dress the way I do when I ride.

Harry

:thumb AGREED ..... that's what motivated me to the marquee......that and the machines reliability

Back