• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best Place to Camp at Sturgis rally

britabroad

Before anyone else says Texas or somewhere similar, yes I do intend to go for the week and camp.

As I have never been to Sturgis, South Dakota, or anywhere else other than LA and AZ.

As part of my bucket list tour of the US I will be going to Sturgis, but have no idea where the various camp sites are in relation to Sturgis itself and other events.

Is there a BMW section amongst all the Harleys? (I doubt it, but worth asking).

I'm really young at heart, although the body tells a different story, so don't mind a 'vibrant' environment as I don't generally have a problem going asleep.

Some of the sites have shuttle buses I believe, which would be good if I wanted to go out for a drink (and not drive/ride of course).

Oh, I will be travelling on my own as well if that makes a difference.

Any/all (legal and decent) suggestions appreciated.

Derek

I stayed here http://hogheavencampground.com/ in 2011 and 2013. Cheap, close to downtown. Bathhouses not the best, but passable for my low (cheap) standards :thumb

This year, I talked the missus into going with me, and we're renewing our vows (25th anniversary) in Sturgis. We're renting a cabin here: http://shadevalley.com/. It looks really nice, and is away from the bustle of downtown.

Sturgis is a great time. All manner of bikes are there, including BMWs, although Harleys are most abundant.

Have a great time!

Still a good choice...

A few years back, the MOA supported a Rally effort that included the Black Hills Rally, the MOA in Gillette WY and the Top of the Rockies in CO...
called it the "Coyboy Hat Trick".

We used the Chris Campground very near Spearfish for the first element, and it was very nice... still is. Read: clean, quiet, and shaded. Professionally operated.
I've been back twice since near the Sturgis dates and they still love having BMW's as a guest motorbike. Wonder why.

"travel'n" john
15 R1200gsw

I have stayed at Hog Heaven also and like mentioned, it is right in town and really not a bad place to stay. Actually, I think I have stayed there 4 times total. A friend mentioned one east of Sturgis, east of the Buffalo Chip, and for the life of me I can't remember the name, he stays there every year. The campground runs buses back and forth to town and he rarely rides his bike into town. But then he loves to party too. I will see if I can get the name of it if you are interested, I did a search and didn't come up with anything I recognized.

Sturgis is a great time. I go nearly every year. I only hang out in town for a day or so, and then I just ride the hills! Granted, there are better times to ride the Black Hills, but I do that too. I'm not that far away.

Good luck!

Lately we've gone the week before or the week after the Big Shindig. Still lots of people but not nearly as hard to get around.
We've stayed at a friend's house so can't help you there.

Voni
sMiling

A lot of the BMW folks used to congregate at the Whispering Pines campground, after the Black Hills Riders stopped hosting a camp out.

http://www.blackhillscampresort.com/

Weve stayed at a motel in Spearfish, but there's also a campsite right in town. Spearfish is a great place; fun, and a lot quieter than Sturgis.

http://www.cityofspearfish.com/departments/city_campground/index.php

Voni's idea of going just before or after the big fete is a good one, or catch a day or two at the beginning or the end, to experience the excitement.

It's worth going there at least once. And you want to get the Sturgis BMW T shirt, from the local dealer.

Last edited:
Thank you Drew, John, Rich, Voni and Rinty.

I'll check the suggestions out. Sounds like most of the camp sites would do me, as I enjoy camping (luckily), music, have been known to partake in liquid refreshment and biking of course.
I did consider getting there part way through and staying after it had finished, but some of the music performers have swayed me to make it for the week.
It will be a watershed in biking tour as after that I've planned places to visit but not dates, so things will take a different pace after Sturgis.

I like the idea of the tee shirt Rinty, do you know the address of the local BMW dealer? Actually that reminds me I have to find out where the BMW dealers are as I will need a service or 2 on my ride.

The local dealer is actually my closest dealer, they are Sturgis Motorsports.

http://www.sturgisyamaha.com/

Hey, if you like music and partying, you may be a Buffalo Chip kind of guy. There is lots of fun to be had at that campground, if you are looking for the wildest side of the Sturgis experience. Google them. :thumb. I have personally never stayed there, but a couple of my sons have and they think it is the cat's meow.

Derek:

If you're into the party scene, check out the Full Throttle Saloon. That was a high energy place, and has re opened after burning down.

Back