• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Ram Mounts

1downfourup

I ride in the higher seat and decided to raise the handlebars with the Iiium handlebar risers. Suddenly I realized that now I have the perfect place for two Ram Mounts which otherwise can't be mounted on the 2017 R1200RT handlebars. I like having a place to mount my iphone so I can listen to Sirius XM radio already on my iphone. That way I don't have to pay another $14 a month to listen to satellite radio on the R1200RT radio. So, if you are looking for a way to use Ram Mounts on this motorcycle and want to raise the handlebars, use the Ilium product.

That way I don't have to pay another $14 a month to listen to satellite radio on the R1200RT radio.

If you're listening to XMSirius on your iPhone I think you're dependent on having the signal delivered via cellular data, and not satellite.

Yes... I do have unlimited data on my phone to use cell service to get satellite radio. Really, the only point I wanted to make is that this is a way to add Ram Mounts to the 2017 R1200RT handlebars.

I used those same risers to put a ram mount for my GoPro camera. It works great. I can post pictures later if anyone wants to see them.

Wonderlich also makes a bracket replacing the bar clamp (near the handlebar switch cluster) that fastens the clutch and/or brake fluid reservoir. If you have the optional pushbutton in that clamp (usu. on left), an alternate part # has the switch opening also. The result is a bit less height for the RAM 1" ball, and a bit more flexibility in positioning.
8026f155c9b080c9adf8269340cca5ba.jpg

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to "edit" a photo, once uploaded, to rotate it to the correct orientation?

Last edited:
Wonderlich also makes a bracket replacing the bar clamp (near the handlebar switch cluster) that fastens the clutch and/or brake fluid reservoir. If you have the optional pushbutton in that clamp (usu. on left), an alternate part # has the switch opening also. The result is a bit less height for the RAM 1" ball, and a bit more flexibility in positioning.

Ya beat me to it! I did that yesterday. I have a Ram cup holder and phone attachment. My ram to switch attachment hass TWO balls!!

Another RAM Mount Alternative

There's another mounting location for a RAM mount on an R1200RT-LC. It requires the purchase of a very expensive ($28) fitting from Wunderlich (See: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/1250269.html). That piece is mounted into either side of the handlebar, and then the RAM mount is placed in it. Here's a photo:

Sorry for the double image.

Attachments

• IMG_3665.jpg
    IMG_3665.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_3665 2.jpg
    IMG_3665 2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 660
" It requires the purchase of a very expensive ($28) fitting from Wunderlich "

Looking at the video and the components, it isn't expensive for what it is. Nice, thanks exG.

Also .... in lieu of the Wunderlich mirror adapters you can use the front half of the GSA switch gear which in my opinion have a nicer finish than the Wunderlich. I ordered the Wunderlich but my dealer had a nicer set up and when I inquired he explained they were GSA parts that fit perfectly! My parts manager orders me up a set and I am not a very happy camper with 2 spots to mount Ram-mounts. The bar risers are on order. :dance

Looking for a part number the bracket pictured.

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to "edit" a photo, once uploaded, to rotate it to the correct orientation?

Can anyone share a part number or link to the barcket pictured, I've been all over the Wonderlich site and I can't seem to find it.

Looks like a smart solution to adding a Ram mount.

Thanks in advance to any assistance offered.

Thore~

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-04 R1200RT Ram Mounts.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-04 R1200RT Ram Mounts.png
    516.4 KB · Views: 442
So has anyone mounted an iPhone mount where the GPS would go? I really cannot see buying a $800+ GPS when my phone does a better job, has WAZE, as well as Google Maps, and is always up to date. I thought, why not mount the phone right up where the GPS is? Run the charge cord, etc...

So has anyone mounted an iPhone mount where the GPS would go? I really cannot see buying a $800+ GPS when my phone does a better job, has WAZE, as well as Google Maps, and is always up to date. I thought, why not mount the phone right up where the GPS is? Run the charge cord, etc...

There are basic adapters that will serve as a mount and provide 12v power, such as this: [url]https://www.amazon.com/Acacia-Mobile-Holder-Motorcycle-R1200GS/dp/B01FVF9VFS[/URL]

A new product, which will begin shipping this month, provides a mount that connects to the LINBUS, letting you use the wonder wheel to control many phone functions:WunderLINQ. The app also can display motorcycle sensor data on the phone, like engine temperature, lean angle, tire pressure, battery voltage, etc.

order BMW Part # 32 72 8532971

The finish is better than the Wunderlich and the new Wunderlich have a hole in the front as well which looks funky to me.

This BMW part is the part used on the GS. I have them and they work great!

This may well work where you live. In the vast expanse between the west coastal area and the Mississippi River as much as 80 or 90 percent of the area does not have decent cell phone coverage. If you travel in this area you are far better off with a real satellite receiver GPS.

Smartphones may have some shortcoming when used for navigation, but operating without cellular service is NOT one of them. The GPS receiver works very well without a cellular signal, or even a SIM card, and is often even more accurate than the location services obtained via wi-fi and cell tower.

The built-in GPS receiver uses the satellite signal to determine your location, and those coordinates are used by your navigation app to show your location on screen - basically just showing you a picture of your current surroundings. Google, Waze and similar apps use cellular downloads to obtain the maps (pictures) as needed, and do require cell service. But CoPilot, Locus, OSMand, Gaia and dozens of other apps download and store all the map images entirely on the phone, just like a dedicated GPS such as a Navigator, Zumo, or TomTom. Even Google will let you store the map for a particular area directly on the phone with a little preparation. Most apps let you load your own point-of-interest files, and your choice of maps (often free). Locus will let you overlay one map over another, so you can add a topographic map to a road map to see the terrain.

The biggest problems with a smartphone as motorcycle GPS can be reduced/eliminated by picking the right phone. Touchscreens may not be glove-friendly, may not be as bright in direct sunlight, or may not work in rain. Waterproofness should be checked, but my Galaxy S7 phone is rated better than my Zumo 595. Vibrations tend to destroy microUSB power connections, so wireless charging or external power points are better options. Don't want to risk the phone that "contains your life"? You can dedicate an older phone to GPS use, with no cell plan or number, put together a mount and charging system with a few apps and still save hundreds of dollars over a conventional motorcycle GPS.

Back