• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2000 R1100RT - where did the gas go?

K7GLE

I did a charcoal canisterectomy last June, got 49+ mpg on 8000-mi trip in August, about typical. Added fuel stabilizer and filled the tank at the end of the season...it sat in a partially-heated garage all winter.

Burned enough gas this spring to trigger the fuel lamp, at only 235 miles...I had been having the "two bars low" fuel gage problem, so I assumed the lamp was being pessimistic, but filled to my standard "full" mark (touching bottom of filler hole with bike on side stand) just in case. It took 6.0 gal, about typical when the fuel lamp triggers. This calcs out to only 39.1 mpg!

It didn't occur to me before, but does it make sense that gas gradually evaporates through the (unplugged) hose that formerly fed the charcoal canister? I never smelled even faint gas fumes in the garage.

Back