• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wheelie poppin R1100RS. It this OK?

tps3443

Hey guys I've been riding wheelies a few times a week on my 1997 R1100RS. It's alot of fun, I don't use the clutch, I just twist the throttle in first or second at a higher RPM. And it stands straight up. I've got the M97 transmission, absolutely no gear grinds, pop outs or any other issues. Bike has 87K miles now.

I'm not rough by any means, I ease it up, and ease it down. Should I be worried about breaking something? I don't let the front end slam down.

Constant wheelies will eventually cause the driveshaft cush (torsion damper) to let go.
The GS crowd sees this happen.

This Thread is Worthless Without Pictures!

Hey y'all, we'll hold your beer while we watch this...

:brow

Best,
DG

Looking into my crystal ball, I see an extensive repair bill in your future so have a good time. What the heck, it's only money!

Hey guys I've been riding wheelies a few times a week on my 1997 R1100RS. It's alot of fun, I don't use the clutch, I just twist the throttle in first or second at a higher RPM. And it stands straight up. I've got the M97 transmission, absolutely no gear grinds, pop outs or any other issues. Bike has 87K miles now.

I'm not rough by any means, I ease it up, and ease it down. Should I be worried about breaking something? I don't let the front end slam down.

How old are you?

My view, if you have to ask the question, " breaking something " be prepared for the answer, yes.

I didn't think it was common for a M97 transmission, R1100RS to strip the splines on the input shaft.

I don't fan the clutch, or use the clutch at all. I just roll the throttle. I'll try and get some pics up today. That's if I can convince my pillion to get off, and take a picture of doing her least favorite thing. Doing a wheelie!.

These bikes wheelie easier than my Ninja 900 did.

It's alot of fun!

Here in BC you can get your bike impounded for doing wheelies, it's classified as stunting.
Don't know the laws where you are, as you have not filled out your profile.

Should I be worried about breaking something? I don't let the front end slam down.

It's a little known fact that BMW actually recommends that your bike be wheelied on at least a weekly basis. This strengthens things like driveshaft components and clutch assemblies. Also, it's much better to wheelie on crowded interstates during rush hour. This provides entertainment for car drivers near you and enhances the reputation that all motorcyclists have as law abiding citizens.

This is the fun in bikes! The front end will lift quite often. There are alot of roads near me in NC that makes both wheels lift even while going the speed limit. I mean didn't BMW incorporate "Wheelie Control" in the newer bikes to prevent this? If I'm laying in to the throttle in first gear at the top of the rev range, and the road has a hump in it. The front end just lifts. I'm not a crazy driver, but I do feel that doing a couple WHEELIE'S a week is not that bad especially at low speeds.

I couldn't imagine a R1200RS it weights about 90lbs less than my bike with 43% more HP!

Also, I do not do wheelies in traffic. I'm a responsible motorcyclist. But I do make good use of the overgrown abandon parking lots.

This the fun in bikes! The front end will lift quite often. There are alot of roads near me in NC that makes both wheels lift even while going the speed limit. I mean didn't BMW incorporate "Wheelie Control" in the newer bikes to prevent this? If I'm laying in to the throttle in first gear at the top of the rev range, and the road has a hump in it. The front end just lifts. I'm not a crazy driver, but I do feel that doing a couple WHEELIE'S a week is not that bad especially at low speeds.

Whatever trips your trigger. Don't fall off.

My old RS lifts the front wheel pretty easily under throttle, as does my wife's R11GS. Yeah, doing that is just part of fun riding!

That said, I have experienced a driveshaft failure on the RS. It was probably around 120k miles but I don't have a record of it. That bike got a lot more full-throttle riding than the GS ever did so I bet that driveshaft led a hard life.

Just don't get caught doing that in Canada, $10,000 fine for "Stunting" Impounding of bike for 7 days + storage fee at over $100 per day + towing fee over $200 + 6 demerit points.

Your call!

This is the fun in bikes! The front end will lift quite often. There are alot of roads near me in NC that makes both wheels lift even while going the speed limit. I mean didn't BMW incorporate "Wheelie Control" in the newer bikes to prevent this? If I'm laying in to the throttle in first gear at the top of the rev range, and the road has a hump in it. The front end just lifts. I'm not a crazy driver, but I do feel that doing a couple WHEELIE'S a week is not that bad especially at low speeds.

I couldn't imagine a R1200RS it weights about 90lbs less than my bike with 43% more HP!

Also, I do not do wheelies in traffic. I'm a responsible motorcyclist. But I do make good use of the overgrown abandon parking lots.

Absolutely! I love to dump the clutch on my '04 RT at 7 grand in first gear at least twice a week. As an engineer, I have empirical evidence to prove that it only strengthens the chemical bonds of the metal in the tranny input spline, the shafts in the gearbox, the driveshaft and the rear end.Its a Getrag tranny, so you know, that thing is bulletproof.

Constant wheelies will eventually cause the driveshaft cush (torsion damper) to let go.
The GS crowd sees this happen.

Can you expand on this a bit? Have not heard of this before. I think I understand what a torsion damper is but I do not know what type the GS has. Guessing this leads to an expensive repair when it fails? How much abuse can they take? And what is it about wheelies that is so bad for them, compared to other hard on and off road riding? Trying to understand my new bike, thanks.

Just think about the savings

You save a bundle not having to replace the front tire! Heck if you could get it up and balance a cross country trip with front tire replacement would be a good possibility.

Ah, on second thought how many rear tires would you chew up along with front suspension, extra fuel stops (pump pickup at front of tank), those pesky tickets for wheelies and lets not forget the engine damage due to oil starvation. I guess if the bike was meant to be ridden on the back wheel BMW and many others would not have added that front wheel and suspension.

Wheelie On!

It's a little known fact that BMW actually recommends that your bike be wheelied on at least a weekly basis. This strengthens things like driveshaft components and clutch assemblies. Also, it's much better to wheelie on crowded interstates during rush hour. This provides entertainment for car drivers near you and enhances the reputation that all motorcyclists have as law abiding citizens.

This gets my vote for the best post so far on the subject. I'm still laughing.

Back