• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wheelie poppin R1100RS. It this OK?

Can you expand on this a bit? Have not heard of this before. I think I understand what a torsion damper is but I do not know what type the GS has. Guessing this leads to an expensive repair when it fails? How much abuse can they take? And what is it about wheelies that is so bad for them, compared to other hard on and off road riding? Trying to understand my new bike, thanks.

The rubber torsion/vibration damper is part of the driveshaft. The rubber is vulcanized to the inner and outer metal parts. Excessive torque will break the bond and the shaft will no longer transmit power to the final drive. Replacement of the driveshaft is the only fix.
26 11 7 655 802 DRIVE SHAFT $1025.99

Attachments

• Driveshaft.jpg
    Driveshaft.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
The rubber torsion/vibration damper is part of the driveshaft. The rubber is vulcanized to the inner and outer metal parts. Excessive torque will break the bond and the shaft will no longer transmit power to the final drive. Replacement of the driveshaft is the only fix.
26 11 7 655 802 DRIVE SHAFT $1025.99

Ouch! I see popping wheelies on my 1100 may not be a laughing matter. Put it back in the garage. Darn it! Just when I was going to hit the old asphalt for some fun....

I think that if all the slap and play has been taken up (with the throttle), a "power wheelie" isn't real harmful to the bike......At least no more that running a shaft drive in the dirt/ off-road.
YMMV
OM

This is the fun in bikes! The front end will lift quite often. There are alot of roads near me in NC that makes both wheels lift even while going the speed limit....
Also, I do not do wheelies in traffic. I'm a responsible motorcyclist. But I do make good use of the overgrown abandon parking lots.
You should probably remove your helmet too. It helps lower the weight the bike has to lift and increases your balance. ;)

Chris

Wheelie away if you want to. What's the fun of riding if you deprive yourself of doing what you want? If you break something (which you probably won't) then fix it.

My RS was a wheelie machine. Heck, the R1100GS is a wheelie machine. But in a different way.. the RS was all about power-on front wheel lifts over hills, while the GS tends to get a bit light just pulling away from a stop sign.

Back