• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hall sensor replaced, battery replaced...Timing slightly retarded...Kinda sluggish?

krash

So when I replaced my failing hall sensor, battery was also replaced. Retarded the timing a smidge as I was having a slight knocking issue rolling on the throttle hard in 4&5 gear at highway speed... Af-xied adjusted to #8 setting... Autolite plugs...No apparent pinging with 93 octane...Torque curve is fat...But it seems the bike has a little less "snap"...Prior to replacing the hall sensor... Throttle response was quicker/crisper...Rpm climbed quicker... Should I advance that timing a bit more? Going to get through this tankful of fuel and let the Af-xied continue to adapt. R1200R injectors installed as well...At 75+ bike just purrs along...I can hear the injectors cycling on/off...Lol...Sounds completely different at speed...

Thoughts? Roger? Timing? Fueling seems in order...

Do you know where the timing is, exactly, relative to the spec? If not, I'd adjust it to the specified position and then decide.

Do you know where the timing is, exactly, relative to the spec? If not, I'd adjust it to the specified position and then decide.

Isnt it 6° before TDC? I have to dig up my old timing light...Lol
I was getting a little pinging in 4 &5 gear when getting on the throttle hard...

I would expect retarding the timing will reduce performance.
In the old days of hotrodding VW air cooled we were always pushing the advance as far as we could before pinging would make us stop.

The Motronic manages ignition advance and dwell time VERY actively. Set it per the factory and find the real cause of pinging. Here is the map in chart form:

sparkadvancescatter.jpg

Isnt it 6° before TDC? I have to dig up my old timing light...Lol
I was getting a little pinging in 4 &5 gear when getting on the throttle hard...

You set it statically so that the sensor flops exactly at TDC, and let the Motronic control the advance.

Krash,

You might want to consider an AF-XiED by NightRider, as well as doing what Anton and GSAddict suggest. I put one on my R11S and it improved everything about it, smoothness, roll on, starting from a stop, lower temp, cold engine startup, even quieter. Doesn't ping on any gas at any load, any gear. Makes it run like it's supposed to.

As usual, I agree with Anton. With decent in-spec fuel and factory timing the bike should not ping. So, fiddling with timing just masks a problem. You need to get the bike to specs and then fix the problem. A lean condition from clogged injectors can cause the problem. A couple of doses of Chevron brand Techron Fuel System Cleaner in a couple of tanks of gas is advised. Or, sending the injectors to be professionally cleaned and tested might be called for. See which it is, after two tanks with Techron.

A build up of carbon in the combustion chamber might be the problem. The Techron Fuel System Cleaner might solve the problem. Hope it will. The next step is to remove the heads and clean the carbon from the heads and the piston domes. Hope it doesn't really need this.

Last edited:
+1 for take it back to stock timing. Keep in mind that when you adjust the HES plate, you are impacting fuel timing as well as ignition timing. You aren't dealing with a carburetor and a distributor cap.

As usual, I agree with Anton. With decent in-spec fuel and factory timing the bike should not ping. So, fiddling with timing just masks a problem. You need to get the bike to specs and then fix the problem. A lean condition from clogged injectors can cause the problem. A couple of doses of Chevron brand Techron Fuel System Cleaner in a couple of tanks of gas is advised. Or, sending the injectors to be professionally cleaned and tested might be called for. See which it is, after two tanks with Techron.

A build up of carbon in the combustion chamber might be the problem. The Techron Fuel System Cleaner might solve the problem. Hope it will. The next step is to remove the heads and clean the carbon from the heads and the piston domes. Hope it doesn't really need this.

Not the injectors, new R1200R injectors from Tillis

Back