Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle lift

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar

Motorcycle lift

As I have aged, it seems that as I bend over it is like trying to fold a basketball, so I am in the market for a motorcycle lift.

I would really love to have one of the platform lifts, but the budget warrants I get one that looks like a transmission jack, until I can afford one of the fancy platforms.

My guestion is how well do these work with the R1150RS (or 1100RS)? Ihave heard rumors that they dont like these type of lifts, and thought I would see what the consensus is here.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

HODAG
    harbor freight has a budget minded one:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91764

Gale,
    I'll second the vote for a table lift. Harbor Freight shows the cost as $350 on their site, but they are often on sale, and if you subscribe to their e-mail newsletter, they will send you 20% off coupons periodically. I have this lift and it is well worth the money (considering it is half the cost of the fancier lifts out there).
    The only caveat is that some have concerns over strength/quality of fasteners that act as the pivots in the mechanism. I don't know if this is a valid concern, but I replaced them anyway with grade 8 bolts from the local hardware.
    Don

Thanks guys. I am a regular at the harbor freight store about an hour away from where I live and have seen the platform lift. It rocks and I dont feel the fasteners are a problem. I have their tire changer and it works great! Guess I will save my pennies and go for the platform when I can afford it.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

BOKRIJDER
    Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered the lift. My back and knees have been killing me, but just couldn't spring for a Handy.

Motard
    R1150GS
    R50
    R69S restoration project, soon to be resting on a new lift table

blake
    i have one of the atv/motorcycle lifts from harborfreight, the type that lifts from under the engine.

it's been really helpful for jobs like a spline lube that leave you with a lack of support under the wheels, or for jobs like wheel removal for tire changing.

some bikes dont fit that great with the spacing of the 2 support bars, but i've always fixed that with by building a support with 2x4's.

in a perfect world i'd have both kinds, but the cheaper/smaller one works great in my garage.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Gale, I have the Sears Craftsman lift, and here are a couple of links to a similar set of questions.

Motorcycle Jacks? which starts out with a question specific to the Sears jack.

Further down in the discussion is an easily overlooked link to some pictures of where to position the jack.

Perhaps the information will be helpful.

Regards,
    RM
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Don't forget your towel
    While I now have a table lift (http://www.lift-buddy.com/) in my garage, for years I was very happy with a 12" tall platform I built out of scrap plywood. It consisted of two boxes, one 6'x2' the other 2'x2'. Ply for the deck and solid ply sides, basically a five sided box. I cut a couple of notches in the sides to accomodate ratcheting straps. I used the 2x2 box under the rear tire when changing it.

Cheap and with some extra framing inside they doubled as shelving when stood up inthe corner. While it may not seem like much, 12" was just about right me to work on the bike while sitting in an old desk chair when I didn't feel like standing.

Steve

BOKRIJDER

Motorcycle lift

The Harbor Freight lift showed up today after a back order wait. I'm very pleased with the unit at this point. One thought, the lift ships by truck. I have a backhoe and used the machine to unload the pallet with crate from the chest high deck of the freight trailer. Without some mechanical aid, the task would be near impossible. The driver said, "About four hundred pounds." The freight company did call ahead and notify of the delivery date and asked if a means of unloading was available. I believe that one can request that a shipment be held at the terminal for pickup or "for a surcharge" have the shipment delivered with a smaller truck having a lift gate.

Motard
    1150GS
    R50

Quote Originally Posted by Motard
    The Harbor Freight lift showed up today after a back order wait. I'm very pleased with the unit at this point. One thought, the lift ships by truck. I have a backhoe and used the machine to unload the pallet with crate from the chest high deck of the freight trailer. Without some mechanical aid, the task would be near impossible. The driver said, "About four hundred pounds." The freight company did call ahead and notify of the delivery date and asked if a means of unloading was available. I believe that one can request that a shipment be held at the terminal for pickup or "for a surcharge" have the shipment delivered with a smaller truck having a lift gate.

Motard
    1150GS
    R50
    I avoid the shipping at harbor freight by going to their store that is around an hour away. By the way I got a lift at tractor supply that also had one of the wheeled seats with a tray for 75 bucks, It was a managers special
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Don't forget your towel
    Congratulations on the new lift!
    In all my years of wrenching & riding bikes, buying a table lift has been one of my best "accessory" purchases.

Steve

BOKRIJDER

Harbor Freight shipping

I called the HF store in my area before ordering the lift. (1 hr. away) Their floor price was "unit cost" plus the shipping cost to their store. Their added shipping cost was equal to the shipping cost to my door. One might want to call ahead before making the trip to the store.

Motard
    1150GS
    R50

Here is some food for thought... Motorcycle lifts initially seem like they would make it easier to work on the bike, but due to the width of the lift, it makes it ackward to work on them too. Frequently you have to raise and lower them to get access to your work area... Here is one solution that I saw with a professional mechanic.... he had his own lift build... he measured the length, the width that he wanted (a little wider were the centerstand goes) with a attachable ramp and a sections that drops off behind the engine (for ease of changing rear tires). He has tie downs mounted on them as well. The whole thing is not very high (he can sit on his rolling chair and work on the bottom) and stand up and work on the top. It is about 20 years old and made out the same material the lawn trailers are made off.
    You can buy all the material at Lowe's or Home Depot and have a good welder put it together for you. It is small enough to fit in the back of a pick up truck, does not take any room up in your garage and will last you a life time. It is one those projects that I will have to do for myself.... Let me know if you like this idea, the mechanic is here in town and I could take a picture of it and email it to you....
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerkuh
    Here is some food for thought... Motorcycle lifts initially seem like they would make it easier to work on the bike, but due to the width of the lift, it makes it ackward to work on them too. Frequently you have to raise and lower them to get access to your work area... Here is one solution that I saw with a professional mechanic.... he had his own lift build... he measured the length, the width that he wanted (a little wider were the centerstand goes) with a attachable ramp and a sections that drops off behind the engine (for ease of changing rear tires). He has tie downs mounted on them as well. The whole thing is not very high (he can sit on his rolling chair and work on the bottom) and stand up and work on the top. It is about 20 years old and made out the same material the lawn trailers are made off.
    You can buy all the material at Lowe's or Home Depot and have a good welder put it together for you. It is small enough to fit in the back of a pick up truck, does not take any room up in your garage and will last you a life time. It is one those projects that I will have to do for myself.... Let me know if you like this idea, the mechanic is here in town and I could take a picture of it and email it to you....
    Please send some pictures if you would. Getting older and the floor is getting harder.

thanks
    Roy G.
    85 K100RT Ol Ruby "Gone but not forgotten"
    02 K1200LTC Hoss "Wrecked on 9/21/14"
    12 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by roy
    Please send some pictures if you would. Getting older and the floor is getting harder.

thanks
    Went by the machanic today and took some measurements, I forgot my camera. He said he had a welder build it for him and it cost him about $250.00 about 8 years ago. Good steel and metal is not cheap. He also showed me a previous model that he used that is not as sturdy.
    The measurements are as follows... picture a motorcycle.... 18" high, front tire area is 36" long, the back area for the rear tire is 24", but he recommend having it also 36". The middle section is 32"w x 24"l. (middle section is were the center stand is on); now the front and rear section are also bolted to the middle section, to be able to drop the front or rear tire... he uses a ramp to roll the bike on the ramp. He stressed to me that these sections should be self supportive so that they are strong enough. The area for the tires is only 9" wide, but then again how wide are our tires... he uses it for Japanese sport bikes with no center stand and has used this type of lift for over 20 years...
    Send me your fax number and I fax you a scetch of it.
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member