• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Smartphone Link - Turning off annoying notifications?

skibumwi

Hey all,

I'm using the Garmin Smartphone Link app paired with my NAV V and have Live Traffic services enabled. The issue that I'm having is that, if I have a destination programmed into the NAV V I keep getting notifications from the Garmin about insignificant traffic delays on my route (1 or 2 minutes on a 60 mile route) which will probably have cleared up by the time I get to them. Because I have the NavV paired with my Sena 20S headset these annoying alerts interrupt my music stream with a bothersome "bong" while they display a banner at the top of the Nav V.

I've searched the interweb, the Nav V, the Smartphone app, the Garmin website (pretty useless) and these forums but can't locate any way to turn off or silence these notifications. They might be useful if I could set a minimum delay time notification (i.e. allow notification of delays longer than 5 minutes, or 10% of the predicted travel time) but as they work now they are just an annoyance.

I can't seem to locate any way to send Garmin a support request so I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some insight.

Thanks,
Ski

I'd like more control over those notifications myself. As I started out on a ride in a mostly rural area, I was warned of a delay, 40 miles ahead. Received another notification saying it was now clear. Sequence repeated twice more as I continued. Turned out to be a busy railroad crossing.

Later on the same ride, I received two notifications that there was "light traffic" along my route. So what?

I want to be re-routed or warned if the road is blocked, but this sort of warning is useless and distracting.

The only option I see is to turn off the traffic link completely.

Hey all,

I'm using the Garmin Smartphone Link app paired with my NAV V and have Live Traffic services enabled. The issue that I'm having is that, if I have a destination programmed into the NAV V I keep getting notifications from the Garmin about insignificant traffic delays on my route (1 or 2 minutes on a 60 mile route) which will probably have cleared up by the time I get to them. Because I have the NavV paired with my Sena 20S headset these annoying alerts interrupt my music stream with a bothersome "bong" while they display a banner at the top of the Nav V.

I've searched the interweb, the Nav V, the Smartphone app, the Garmin website (pretty useless) and these forums but can't locate any way to turn off or silence these notifications. They might be useful if I could set a minimum delay time notification (i.e. allow notification of delays longer than 5 minutes, or 10% of the predicted travel time) but as they work now they are just an annoyance.

I can't seem to locate any way to send Garmin a support request so I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some insight.

Thanks,
Ski

All of these apps are early days versions of what we hope them to be. Somebody had a wow idea, and somebody set a budget that was likely too low. There was little of no research into real world requirements.

And so on...

Far too frequent these days.

We can only hope for improvements, but they sure don't come quickly.

Hey all,

I'm using the Garmin Smartphone Link app paired with my NAV V and have Live Traffic services enabled. The issue that I'm having is that, if I have a destination programmed into the NAV V I keep getting notifications from the Garmin about insignificant traffic delays on my route (1 or 2 minutes on a 60 mile route) which will probably have cleared up by the time I get to them.

Last year when I purchased the Nav V with our new bikes I paid the one time $5 fee for weather so I could see live radar on the Nav. Since we avoid large cities I did not pay the $10 fee for Traffic.
Last week while riding down to Engles in Kansas City I saw 2 traffic warnings on the Nav. One real and the other not.
I wonder if Traffic is now a free feature?
I'm not connected with sound to the Nav V so it's not a big deal, but if anyone figures out how to shut off traffic notifications I would like to know.
Thanks.

I continually get notifications of delays and nothing I can do about it, sometimes the Nav vi wants to reroute.

At first I thought your post was about the annoying smart link notifications on your phone

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you live near a coastline as I do, I frequently see small-craft warnings. I haven't had the occasion to navigate the Massachusetts waters on my RT....

Garmin Support

If you go to http://support.garmin.com they have a web portal for support inquiries. You have to enter the GPS model, etc, and go thru a few pages, at the end of which you can call, text or e-mail them. I have an unrelated support incident open right now. When I used their support site to submit an issue via e-mail, they responded within a couple of hours. They have been surprisingly responsive via e-mail, though my issue is still open.

I've seen the small craft warnings displayed, too. I was near water, but you'd think they would change that part of their software to avoid those kinds of warning displays. - Sean

I live in the Washington, D.C., area. I haven't really been bothered by the traffic alerts, but like others, I often get useless (for me) small craft warnings from the weather App (onscreen banner, and audible alarm).

If you go to http://support.garmin.com they have a web portal for support inquiries. You have to enter the GPS model, etc, and go thru a few pages, at the end of which you can call, text or e-mail them. I have an unrelated support incident open right now. When I used their support site to submit an issue via e-mail, they responded within a couple of hours. They have been surprisingly responsive via e-mail, though my issue is still open.

I've had excellent experience with Garmin support, both by email/online and by phone. Very prompt and helpful.

Last year when I purchased the Nav V with our new bikes I paid the one time $5 fee for weather so I could see live radar on the Nav. Since we avoid large cities I did not pay the $10 fee for Traffic.
Last week while riding down to Engles in Kansas City I saw 2 traffic warnings on the Nav. One real and the other not.
I wonder if Traffic is now a free feature?
I'm not connected with sound to the Nav V so it's not a big deal, but if anyone figures out how to shut off traffic notifications I would like to know.
Thanks.
I too now get the traffic notifications. Never paid for the service. I did purchase the weather option.
For some reason, I don't get the small craft warnings anymore. :scratch

Back