Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Garmin Smartphone Link - Turning off annoying notifications?

  1. #1
    Registered User skibumwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    196

    Garmin Smartphone Link - Turning off annoying notifications?

    Hey all,

    I'm using the Garmin Smartphone Link app paired with my NAV V and have Live Traffic services enabled. The issue that I'm having is that, if I have a destination programmed into the NAV V I keep getting notifications from the Garmin about insignificant traffic delays on my route (1 or 2 minutes on a 60 mile route) which will probably have cleared up by the time I get to them. Because I have the NavV paired with my Sena 20S headset these annoying alerts interrupt my music stream with a bothersome "bong" while they display a banner at the top of the Nav V.

    I've searched the interweb, the Nav V, the Smartphone app, the Garmin website (pretty useless) and these forums but can't locate any way to turn off or silence these notifications. They might be useful if I could set a minimum delay time notification (i.e. allow notification of delays longer than 5 minutes, or 10% of the predicted travel time) but as they work now they are just an annoyance.

    I can't seem to locate any way to send Garmin a support request so I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some insight.

    Thanks,
    Ski

  2. #2
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,212
    I'd like more control over those notifications myself. As I started out on a ride in a mostly rural area, I was warned of a delay, 40 miles ahead. Received another notification saying it was now clear. Sequence repeated twice more as I continued. Turned out to be a busy railroad crossing.

    Later on the same ride, I received two notifications that there was "light traffic" along my route. So what?

    I want to be re-routed or warned if the road is blocked, but this sort of warning is useless and distracting.

    The only option I see is to turn off the traffic link completely.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  3. #3
    Ed Kilner #176066
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mississauga, ON
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    Hey all,

    I'm using the Garmin Smartphone Link app paired with my NAV V and have Live Traffic services enabled. The issue that I'm having is that, if I have a destination programmed into the NAV V I keep getting notifications from the Garmin about insignificant traffic delays on my route (1 or 2 minutes on a 60 mile route) which will probably have cleared up by the time I get to them. Because I have the NavV paired with my Sena 20S headset these annoying alerts interrupt my music stream with a bothersome "bong" while they display a banner at the top of the Nav V.

    I've searched the interweb, the Nav V, the Smartphone app, the Garmin website (pretty useless) and these forums but can't locate any way to turn off or silence these notifications. They might be useful if I could set a minimum delay time notification (i.e. allow notification of delays longer than 5 minutes, or 10% of the predicted travel time) but as they work now they are just an annoyance.

    I can't seem to locate any way to send Garmin a support request so I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some insight.

    Thanks,
    Ski
    All of these apps are early days versions of what we hope them to be. Somebody had a wow idea, and somebody set a budget that was likely too low. There was little of no research into real world requirements.

    And so on...

    Far too frequent these days.

    We can only hope for improvements, but they sure don't come quickly.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

  4. #4
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    4,111
    Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    Hey all,

    I'm using the Garmin Smartphone Link app paired with my NAV V and have Live Traffic services enabled. The issue that I'm having is that, if I have a destination programmed into the NAV V I keep getting notifications from the Garmin about insignificant traffic delays on my route (1 or 2 minutes on a 60 mile route) which will probably have cleared up by the time I get to them.
    Last year when I purchased the Nav V with our new bikes I paid the one time $5 fee for weather so I could see live radar on the Nav. Since we avoid large cities I did not pay the $10 fee for Traffic.
    Last week while riding down to Engles in Kansas City I saw 2 traffic warnings on the Nav. One real and the other not.
    I wonder if Traffic is now a free feature?
    I'm not connected with sound to the Nav V so it's not a big deal, but if anyone figures out how to shut off traffic notifications I would like to know.
    Thanks.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  5. #5
    I continually get notifications of delays and nothing I can do about it, sometimes the Nav vi wants to reroute.

    At first I thought your post was about the annoying smart link notifications on your phone

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,225
    If you live near a coastline as I do, I frequently see small-craft warnings. I haven't had the occasion to navigate the Massachusetts waters on my RT....
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Central Maryland
    Posts
    25

    Garmin Support

    Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post

    I can't seem to locate any way to send Garmin a support request so I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some insight.
    If you go to http://support.garmin.com they have a web portal for support inquiries. You have to enter the GPS model, etc, and go thru a few pages, at the end of which you can call, text or e-mail them. I have an unrelated support incident open right now. When I used their support site to submit an issue via e-mail, they responded within a couple of hours. They have been surprisingly responsive via e-mail, though my issue is still open.

    I've seen the small craft warnings displayed, too. I was near water, but you'd think they would change that part of their software to avoid those kinds of warning displays. - Sean

  8. #8
    Registered User marcopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Alexandria Virginia/Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    896
    I live in the Washington, D.C., area. I haven't really been bothered by the traffic alerts, but like others, I often get useless (for me) small craft warnings from the weather App (onscreen banner, and audible alarm).
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

  9. #9
    Registered User mylanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cape Elizabeth, ME
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by seanka106 View Post
    If you go to http://support.garmin.com they have a web portal for support inquiries. You have to enter the GPS model, etc, and go thru a few pages, at the end of which you can call, text or e-mail them. I have an unrelated support incident open right now. When I used their support site to submit an issue via e-mail, they responded within a couple of hours. They have been surprisingly responsive via e-mail, though my issue is still open.
    I've had excellent experience with Garmin support, both by email/online and by phone. Very prompt and helpful.
    2012 F650GS

  10. #10
    Registered User patm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Last year when I purchased the Nav V with our new bikes I paid the one time $5 fee for weather so I could see live radar on the Nav. Since we avoid large cities I did not pay the $10 fee for Traffic.
    Last week while riding down to Engles in Kansas City I saw 2 traffic warnings on the Nav. One real and the other not.
    I wonder if Traffic is now a free feature?
    I'm not connected with sound to the Nav V so it's not a big deal, but if anyone figures out how to shut off traffic notifications I would like to know.
    Thanks.
    I too now get the traffic notifications. Never paid for the service. I did purchase the weather option.
    For some reason, I don't get the small craft warnings anymore.
    Pat

    Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Similar Threads

  1. Synching Carbs with Smartphone
    By 20774 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-15-2013, 11:55 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM
  3. I'm turning 52, turning 52 the good way
    By redclfco in forum Campfire
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-27-2009, 11:49 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •