• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cleaning stainless steel muffler/silencer

JBBLI

I'm sure there is a long thread somewhere, but my search attempts were fruitless...

How do I best get the little black bits from the road off of the shiny stainless steel muffler/silencer without marring the surface?

For good measure, since I suspect the same people have the same answer, favorite method to polish the chrome exhaust?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a cleaning powder for stainless steel pots and pans. I've used it on my muffler. As for the black bits, are they tar? I think I was able to use the stainless steel cleaner on tar also. Didn't seem to damage the finish.

I use Turtle Wax or Gunk tar and bug remover.
I use Cameo Aluminum and Stainless Steel cleaner on our stainless steel pans but it's a little too coarse for highly polished surfaces.

There is a cleaning powder for stainless steel pots and pans. I've used it on my muffler. As for the black bits, are they tar? I think I was able to use the stainless steel cleaner on tar also. Didn't seem to damage the finish.

What cleaner are you using. My silencer is cleanable with soap and water. It's the headers that would look nicer if polished.

27 years in the Auto Body & Paint field, buy very fine steel wool and wax and grease remover from any body shop supply store in your area and your all set.

You will be amazed on how perfect it works, I use fine steel wool on all chrome emblems grills bumpers etc.

Then treat chrome parts with any chrome polish after your done.

27 years in the Auto Body & Paint field, buy very fine steel wool and wax and grease remover from any body shop supply store in your area and your all set.

You will be amazed on how perfect it works, I use fine steel wool on all chrome emblems grills bumpers etc.

Then treat chrome parts with any chrome polish after your done.

I like the 0000 grade of steel wool for most metal. Despite conventional wisdom, it also works great on glass (used before some liquid) and causes no scratches.

For tar and other grease/oil stains........old style, non-pumice GoJo and a terry cloth rag. It might take some rubbing, but there is minimal chance of damage. The oil in the GoJo floats the grease/tar off of the surface.

Good trick for cleaning finished wood cabinets, too. Removes the grease, without damaging the clear coat

This is nothing to do with your pipes but I also carry a can of foamed window glass cleaner that end of a ride or after a hard bug swarm hit on the front of the bike I spray the glass cleaner all over the front and it will take off bug crap including the acid from the bugs very quick and easy.

plus it puts on a small protection on bike.

Back