• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stripped Screws

skibumwi

I think we can all agree that it doesn't take much force to strip one of the many T25 screws holding our bike's tupperware together. I'm just wondering though, which threads are most likely to strip, the ones on the screw or the ones in the mounting hole?

Ski

I think we can all agree that it doesn't take much force to strip one of the many T25 screws holding our bike's tupperware together.

I don't have much problem with the T25 fasteners.
I use a flexible shaft bit driver (looks like a flexible scewdriver) so it's easy to feel if the screw is started wrong. Also you can't apply much force with this type of tool.

Air Filter Change (1).jpg

Last edited:
Many of those go into steel clips. Compared the the threads on the screw those metal clips are next to impossible to strip. The tighter you tighten the fastener, the tighter the tang on the clip grips the threads. In these cases the fastener might strip but .....

A little dab of silicone grease on screw ends, make reassembly go a lot easier
Never use a powered screw driver to start the screws

I've not stripped or cross-threaded any screws on my RT. I may have over-torqued a couple by hand, since I've found clips that were twisted a little out of shape, but no threads have stripped. The only screws to give me any trouble at all are the cheap ones that Wunderlich provided for the crash bar mounting. Those corroded and required a Dremel to remove.

I think we can all agree that it doesn't take much force to strip one of the many T25 screws holding our bike's tupperware together...
You are correct that it doesn't take a lot of force, but it takes far more than should ever be applied. These just need to be snug and not much more.

...I use a flexible shaft bit driver (looks like a flexible scewdriver) so it's easy to feel if the screw is started wrong. Also you can't apply much force with this type of tool...
Great idea Lee, so simple, and so right. I'm usually very good at not over-torquing things but the flexi-driver will save me from those times when I'm really tired and trying to finish up too quickly. ;-)

Back