Thread: Stripped Screws

Stripped Screws

I think we can all agree that it doesn't take much force to strip one of the many T25 screws holding our bike's tupperware together. I'm just wondering though, which threads are most likely to strip, the ones on the screw or the ones in the mounting hole?

Ski

I don't think they are easy to strip, so I do not know which would go first.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    I think we can all agree that it doesn't take much force to strip one of the many T25 screws holding our bike's tupperware together.
    I don't have much problem with the T25 fasteners.
    I use a flexible shaft bit driver (looks like a flexible scewdriver) so it's easy to feel if the screw is started wrong. Also you can't apply much force with this type of tool.

Air Filter Change (1).jpg
    Last edited by Lee; 04-10-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Many of those go into steel clips. Compared the the threads on the screw those metal clips are next to impossible to strip. The tighter you tighten the fastener, the tighter the tang on the clip grips the threads. In these cases the fastener might strip but .....
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

A little dab of silicone grease on screw ends, make reassembly go a lot easier
    Never use a powered screw driver to start the screws

I've not stripped or cross-threaded any screws on my RT. I may have over-torqued a couple by hand, since I've found clips that were twisted a little out of shape, but no threads have stripped. The only screws to give me any trouble at all are the cheap ones that Wunderlich provided for the crash bar mounting. Those corroded and required a Dremel to remove.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    I think we can all agree that it doesn't take much force to strip one of the many T25 screws holding our bike's tupperware together...
    You are correct that it doesn't take a lot of force, but it takes far more than should ever be applied. These just need to be snug and not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    ...I use a flexible shaft bit driver (looks like a flexible scewdriver) so it's easy to feel if the screw is started wrong. Also you can't apply much force with this type of tool...
    Great idea Lee, so simple, and so right. I'm usually very good at not over-torquing things but the flexi-driver will save me from those times when I'm really tired and trying to finish up too quickly. ;-)
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando