Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DONPRICE View Post
    Does anybody know if there a way to alphabetize the saved places?
    AFAIK, there isn't any way to change the pre-set order of "Saved" places, which is based on distance from your current location. All of the "Saved" places show up on the search, however, you can have those most likely to be wanted show up, close to first in order, by entering a location in the "Search near:" button (upper right in the search screen and others). That holds true for all search criteria, not just "Saved" places.

The idea of the way "Search" is setup on the GPS is that one primarily wants to find places (saved, addresses, Gas Stations, Restaurants, etc.) in specific areas which which the GPS allows you to identify as:
    • Home
    • Address
    • Gas Stations
    • Resturants
    • Cities
    • Intersections
    • Coordinates
    • Categories
    • Saved
    • Recent
    • etc

All of these (except "Go Home") will be listed in order of closest to your current location, unless you wish to search a different place. In that case you can narrow the search to a specific area by selecting the "Search near:" icon. Selecting that option gives you a myriad of options to narrow down your search.

If there is no active route already, than you can chooose to narrow the search to:
    • Where I Am Now
    • A Different City
    • Postal Code
    • Recent Destinations
    • Saved Places

If there is an active route already, then you can choose to narrow the search to (including the above):
    • My Active Route
    • My Destination

I often use the latter two for finding gas stations and other services along my route, so that I'm not going out of my way unless I wish to.

The only two benefits that I can think of for wanting to have the "Saved" places listed alphabetically would be to find:
    a) something that you can only recall slightly by name, or
    b) a place that you know the name of

Either of these can be achieved in a roundabout way with mediocre to good results by simply typing in what you are looking for. If you are looking for John Smith you can enter as much or as little of John Smith into "Enter Search" field (top center) as you wish/need/can. That still won't return an alphabetised result but it is much closer to one. This can also be done in conjunction with all of the criteria narrowing steps I outlined above.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

2016 R1200RT with NAV Vi and noise through speakers

Hi,

I recently (Feb of 2018) upgraded from the Nav V to the Nav VI on my 2016 R1200RT. Since installing the Nav VI on the RT I have been experiencing noise through the audio speakers in the RT. The best way I can explain the noise is that of a loose ground and only occurs when the engine of the RT is running. For the past several weeks I was looking at all connections for the audio system to make sure they were secured and they were. I took the RT into the BMW service department and the tech stated he thought it was a loose or bad ground and established a new grounding point for the audio control unit under the rear seat. Well that did not fix the issue. So today while riding I wanted to adjust the volume of the NAV VI due to the loud dinging noise emitting from my audio speakers every time the Garmin Smart Link would send a weather advisory. It appears you can not adjust the volume from the screen of the NAV VI and can only be adjusted from a connected headset on a helmet. This was also verified by Garmin customer service when I called them earlier today.

I removed the NAV VI from the RT and the noise from the speakers went away. Reinstalled the NAV VI and the noise came back. Garmin customer service said I need to connect a communication device (Sena 20S or other comm system) to adjust the volume of the NAV VI and the interference I am hearing through the speakers will go away. I told them there should be a firmware to be able to adjust the volume of the NAV VI through the screen and Garmin said that is not an option.

My thoughts for the RT, GT/GTL there should be away to control the NAV VI volume instead of interfacing with a communication headset. Has anybody else with experienced noise through their speakers? I appreciate any and all input.

I don't have the radio on my RT so can't help with that area, but when I put my Nav-VI in its mount on the RT and press the "Volume" button/icon it says that the GPS is in the mount and volume must be adjusted through a Bluetooth unit. I would have thought that with the radio, it would be operated through the radio interface and not need a Bluetooth system which the bike did not come with.

What the dealer seems to be trying to tell you is that the BMW Nav-VI will not work/function properly on a BMW with the BMW audio system without buying a $700 non-BMW piece that was not part of the sale and never identified as a requirement. I'd ask them if that is what they are actually saying and if so, ask them for BMW's Customer Service number. See if that gets them to change their tune.

For trying to fix it on your own, if you are out of warranty then consider my thoughts below. If not out of warranty - than demand that your dealer correct the issue.

If I understand you correctly, the noise you are hearing is through the motorcycle speakers from the BMW radio system and is only present when the Nav-VI is attached. If that is correct, it is either a volume issue or an RF-filter issue (unlikely).

I'd call your dealership back (if they're within easy riding distance, and ask them if you can take it back and have one of their staff who likely has a Sena or Scala system, to adjust the Nav-VI for you. If they won't do that see if you can find another Sena dealer in your area and they'd liely be happy to help.

If you go that route, make sure that the volume isn't adjusted too low for proper use. Again, it the Nav-VI is supposed to be heard through the bike audio-system speakers than the GPS volume should be adjustable via the audio system otherwise how do you change it for busy high-traffic, loud times vs quiet country road times?????
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Nav noise

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    I don't have the radio on my RT so can't help with that area, but when I put my Nav-VI in its mount on the RT and press the "Volume" button/icon it says that the GPS is in the mount and volume must be adjusted through a Bluetooth unit. I would have thought that with the radio, it would be operated through the radio interface and not need a Bluetooth system which the bike did not come with.

What the dealer seems to be trying to tell you is that the BMW Nav-VI will not work/function properly on a BMW with the BMW audio system without buying a $700 non-BMW piece that was not part of the sale and never identified as a requirement. I'd ask them if that is what they are actually saying and if so, ask them for BMW's Customer Service number. See if that gets them to change their tune.

For trying to fix it on your own, if you are out of warranty then consider my thoughts below. If not out of warranty - than demand that your dealer correct the issue.

If I understand you correctly, the noise you are hearing is through the motorcycle speakers from the BMW radio system and is only present when the Nav-VI is attached. If that is correct, it is either a volume issue or an RF-filter issue (unlikely).

I'd call your dealership back (if they're within easy riding distance, and ask them if you can take it back and have one of their staff who likely has a Sena or Scala system, to adjust the Nav-VI for you. If they won't do that see if you can find another Sena dealer in your area and they'd liely be happy to help.

If you go that route, make sure that the volume isn't adjusted too low for proper use. Again, it the Nav-VI is supposed to be heard through the bike audio-system speakers than the GPS volume should be adjustable via the audio system otherwise how do you change it for busy high-traffic, loud times vs quiet country road times?????
    The RT is still under warranty till August of 2019 and a is being dropped off this Tuesday at BMW for them to try to resolve the issue. However after reading numerous pages on the K1600 forum regarding the same issue I am not holding my breath. The only hope I have is the problem over at the K1600 forum dated back to 2014 and 2015. Garmin really needs to come out with a firmware that allows the volume of the NAV VI to adjusted from the screen. I connected a Sena 20s to the RT and the NAV VI. The music audio quality is horrible which I already read about some time ago. The interesting thing is when I turn the RT's bike speakers back on there is no way to control the NAV VI volume coming through the speakers of the RT. I attempted to turn down the volume on the Sena 20S and it had no affect on the volume of the RT.

Quote Originally Posted by d martin View Post
    I appreciate the link. I feel somewhat better since it is a known issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt66 View Post
    The RT is still under warranty till August of 2019...
    That's good.

... Garmin really needs to come out with a firmware that allows the volume of the NAV VI to adjusted from the screen...
    That is, I believe, a BMW issue. It is BMW that set the specs for Garmin to design/build features. There was a different problem for over a year with the Nav-VI that everyone blamed Garmin for, but at a BMW/Garmin session at SLC last year BMW owned up to it being their issue. This thing seems to be centered around the BMW Radio and BMW Nav-VI.

... The interesting thing is when I turn the RT's bike speakers back on there is no way to control the NAV VI volume coming through the speakers of the RT...
    This is something that I was wondering about regarding the dealership's directions to you. AFAIK, the Nav-VI is supposed to work with/through the BMW Audio system without the need for a Bluetooth comms system, therefore volume conrtol for the Nav-VI when mounted in an RT with the BMW Audio System and Nav-prep should be adjustable from either the GPS or the Audio System and the logivcal process would be throught the Audio System as that is the delivery source.

... I attempted to turn down the volume on the Sena 20S and it had no affect on the volume of the RT.
    That would coincide with my thinking. My understanding has always been that adjusting the volume of the GPS via your Sena is an adjustment to the Sena volume for that specific Sena channel, not an adjustment to the GPS itself. When I adjust the volume of my phone via my Sena unit it does not alter the volume setting on my phone, only the volume setting on the Sena channel that Sena is using for my phone.

Just Wondering...

Are the NAV VI tips and tricks any different from the NAV V tips and tricks? Are the operating systems and interfaces different?

Thanks,
    Ski

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    Are the NAV VI tips and tricks any different from the NAV V tips and tricks? Are the operating systems and interfaces different?

Thanks,
    Ski
    They're very similar function wise, same interfaces, almost the same options, however they're not the same software versions.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Dave Norton

Music on the Nav VI - NOT

I've got a 1 month old 2018 K1600GTL and no matter what I try, the Nav VI will NOT play music, either from an MP3 player (also new) or a properly formatted USB thumb drive. I've tried the thumb drive with and without an MP3 folder and nothing works. Anybody have a solution? Shop techs tell me it needs to be MP3 files only . . . . that's what I have so they get another try at excuses this next Friday . . . . Dave

Regarding #152, someone told me that they have a Nav V and it did not play directions through their 2017 bike's speakers.

My question is, does the Nav VI play directions through a 2018 bike’s speakers?

Thanks, E

Quote Originally Posted by 90459 View Post
    I've got a 1 month old 2018 K1600GTL and no matter what I try, the Nav VI will NOT play music, either from an MP3 player (also new) or a properly formatted USB thumb drive. I've tried the thumb drive with and without an MP3 folder and nothing works. Anybody have a solution? Shop techs tell me it needs to be MP3 files only . . . . that's what I have so they get another try at excuses this next Friday . . . . Dave
    Mine works fine with the MP3 files loaded on an SD card in the Nav. Not sure if it will play from any external sources or not, but it does from MP3 files on a card in the Nav SD slot.

Directions

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Regarding #152, someone told me that they have a Nav V and it did not play directions through their 2017 bike's speakers.

My question is, does the Nav VI play directions through a 2018 bike’s speakers?

Thanks, E
    My Nav V does on my 2014 - but the radio must be on for it to work - either playing radio or an MP3 or something else.
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT

Pairing Devices?

Excuse me for being somewhat challenged, but I just purchased a 18 GSA with the TFT display and the Navigator VI. Where do I pair my devices (phone, music, etc) to? Do I pair them to the Navigator or the Bike? I will be using the Sena 30K.
    Last edited by gsx3; 04-03-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobs_one View Post
    My Nav V does on my 2014 - but the radio must be on for it to work - either playing radio or an MP3 or something else.
    Thanks!