• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

Should I expect more trouble?

Hi All, I am on my 3rd Navigator VI and I'm wondering if I should expect more trouble. My first Nav VI would not connect with my PC for updates, etc. I returned it for a refund and got a different one. The second one worked fine for about two months, and then became unstable when temperatures dropped in the fall. It acted as if the screen was being pressed by an invisible, super fast random finger. When temperatures rose above 65F, it worked normally. I called Garmin and they quickly agreed to replace it with a refurbished unit. The new Nav VI seems fine, so far, but I haven't fully tested it in the cold (lots of snow and ice here lately). I see people with similar (and other) issues with their Nav VI's on this forum, but there may be thousands of happy owners... Should I worry about my replacement GPS failing? It would be nice to hear that most users have trouble-free operation.

Hi All, I am on my 3rd Navigator VI and I'm wondering if I should expect more trouble. My first Nav VI would not connect with my PC for updates, etc. I returned it for a refund and got a different one. The second one worked fine for about two months, and then became unstable when temperatures dropped in the fall. It acted as if the screen was being pressed by an invisible, super fast random finger. When temperatures rose above 65F, it worked normally. I called Garmin and they quickly agreed to replace it with a refurbished unit. The new Nav VI seems fine, so far, but I haven't fully tested it in the cold (lots of snow and ice here lately). I see people with similar (and other) issues with their Nav VI's on this forum, but there may be thousands of happy owners... Should I worry about my replacement GPS failing? It would be nice to hear that most users have trouble-free operation.

I only experienced one Nav VI exchange from Garmin. The second unit is working without issues for the last 1 1/2 years. Now, Basecamp and the frustrations that come with it is a different matter altogether... :-D

I don't think there is any proper answer to that yet.

There are still people reporting issues with recent replacements and others without any. I think it is too early to have sufficient numbers for any meaningful reference.

I got my 3rd replacement last year and haven't had any issues with it, but have only used it for about 2,000kms over the past 12 months (about 8-12 times total).

2021 will hopefully provide a lot more riding for everyone and therefore feedback.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Garmin has been very good at hardware, moderately decent at firmware, and horrible at routing and tracking software. So be it.

Paul, that has been similar to my experience except that I would put the issue of
horrible at routing and tracking software
in the context that in doing A/B testing I've not seen any other systems that were much better at that.

Good routing and tracking, have always been an issue for me on every system I've tried to the point where I've come to think that it a universal issue, however, that could just be my specific perspective.

Was charging up my Nav VI and discovered that no matter how long I charged it, it would not go over one bar. I left it charging one more time, overnight, and the next day it would not start up, even when it was plugged in.

I called Garmin Tech Support and described the issue. They had me try a soft reset by pressing and holding the on button for 30 seconds. Still didn't come on.

They're having me return the old unit and they're going to send me another one, a "refurbished" unit. I have to pay postage, but there's no other charges.

It’s interesting how inconsistent Garmin is about dealing with postage for returning these Navigator VIs. They sent me a PDF with a prepaid UPS label. I don’t remember telling them that my GPS was under a year old.

It’s interesting how inconsistent Garmin is about dealing with postage for returning these Navigator VIs. They sent me a PDF with a prepaid UPS label. I don’t remember telling them that my GPS was under a year old.

Their tech support people seem to have been told to "keep the customer happy" which may result in differing aggressiveness by various folk.

I got my first Garmin III+ in 1998 or so and used it in the '99 IBR. I have had a half dozen (or more) units on bikes and more in cars ever since. I have never been unhappy with tech support but am not a demanding client. If it breaks I call them. If it misbehaves I do a reset and get on with life.

Was charging up my Nav VI and discovered that no matter how long I charged it, it would not go over one bar. I left it charging one more time, overnight, and the next day it would not start up, even when it was plugged in.

I called Garmin Tech Support and described the issue. They had me try a soft reset by pressing and holding the on button for 30 seconds. Still didn't come on.

They're having me return the old unit and they're going to send me another one, a "refurbished" unit. I have to pay postage, but there's no other charges.

I have not used a Navigator, but I know that the similar Garmin Zumo models will only charge while turned on. The Nav battery may be so low at this point that your USB charger cannot start it up. If you put the Nav on the bike mount, will it turn on?

I'm surprised they did not send you a new battery to try before sending in your unit.

I'm surprised they did not send you a new battery to try before sending in your unit.

Garmin is replacing NAV VIs at a rapid rate and they make it very easy to do. They obviously realize they have a problem and it is not worth their time to require the owner to go through several fruitless attemps to correct the problems. i was on the phone with their rep for a a very short time. They have a system in which you can schedule a rep to call you so you do not need to sit and listen to bland music; my call came at the scheduled time. I explained what I was seeing and what I had done to try to rectify the problem (resets, and firmware update). He immediately said he was going set me up with a replacement, which he did.

If you put the Nav on the bike mount, will it turn on?

I put it into the mail yesterday, so we'll never know. The tech did mention that the unit was designed to be used plugged in to the mount. But occasionally I use it for walking around a new area, mostly to get back to my bike/tent/motel, but occasionally to find my way to a restaurant or attraction.

Were you using the Garmin-supplied USB cord? My NAV5 will only charge with the Garmin cord that came with the unit. (My NAV5 was an aftermarket unit, purchased w/the $1000 rebate available when I bought my '15 RT, The cord was part of the kit). I've tried to use other after-market, non-Garmin branded USB cords to no avail. I know some members of this forum say I'm nuts -- that USB cords are all the same, but that hasn't been my experience with the NAV5. It is interesting that my other 3 Garmins don't care who made the cord I use to charge them, or whether/not they're on or off if I'm charging them with a wall charger.

As some said, you could have installed your NAV6 in your RT to check/see if it would charge in the mount.

Good luck with the new-to-you unit!

Were you using the Garmin-supplied USB cord? My NAV5 will only charge with the Garmin cord that came with the unit. (My NAV5 was an aftermarket unit, purchased w/the $1000 rebate available when I bought my '15 RT, The cord was part of the kit). I've tried to use other after-market, non-Garmin branded USB cords to no avail. I know some members of this forum say I'm nuts -- that USB cords are all the same, but that hasn't been my experience with the NAV5. It is interesting that my other 3 Garmins don't care who made the cord I use to charge them, or whether/not they're on or off if I'm charging them with a wall charger.

As some said, you could have installed your NAV6 in your RT to check/see if it would charge in the mount.

Good luck with the new-to-you unit!

You know the other day I noticed this odd behavior while trying to update my NAV VI. I could not get Garmin Express to recognize my GPS. Out of desperation a started trying different cables. Sure enough, about my third try, she hooked up and worked like a charm. I actually tried a different computer with the same result. I do believe the USB cable does make a difference.

You know the other day I noticed this odd behavior while trying to update my NAV VI. I could not get Garmin Express to recognize my GPS. Out of desperation a started trying different cables. Sure enough, about my third try, she hooked up and worked like a charm. I actually tried a different computer with the same result. I do believe the USB cable does make a difference.

Good advice on the cable(s).
OM

I too have noticed that trying to charge with a poor quality USB cable doesn't work. There are good and bad USB cables out there.
I use the USB cable that came with my Sena 30K to charge my Navs V and VI without any issue.

I too have noticed that trying to charge with a poor quality USB cable doesn't work. There are good and bad USB cables out there.
I use the USB cable that came with my Sena 30K to charge my Navs V and VI without any issue.
There are actually cables that are meant to be used for "data and charging" and cables that are designed just for charging (makes sense to use the dual purpose).
Aside from that there are poor quality ones, and damaged ones that won't charge anything anymore and then you have the issue of cable that have different charging capabilities and the actual USB port ratings.
Older USB cables and ports can be rated as low as 0.5A while newer ones are running at 2.5A-3.0A and above.
I've found that running a newer smartphone and trying to charge it at the same time can still discharge the battery if either the cable or port are not at least rated at or over 1.5A. I've gotten away with 1.5A cables being able to charge faster then the phone discharge if my work wasn't super intensive, but never had any issues with 1.8A and above.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Incoming calls - can't hear them while riding - tip or trick?

Can phone volume be increased independently of GPS volume? I can hear Nav 6 directions fine, but incoming calls are too low.

My set up is: iPhone paired with Nav 6, Sena SRL paired with Nav 6, but iPhone and Sena are NOT paired to each other. The Garmin weather and traffic displays correctly on the Nav 6 as do the map and directions. And the directions volume is easily adjusted on the helmet SRL. But when that's all functioning well, I can barely hear voice on incoming calls. I think I could raise the volume during a call, but then then it would be too loud later for nav directions. Can these volumes be set separately??

I could use a Tip or Trick here.

Back