Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 307

Thread: Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

  1. #286
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Vestavia Hills, AL
    Posts
    72

    Navigator VI update

    Can someone please tell me the latest update version of software for the Nav VI? Having issues with the unit not rebooting after a stop. BMW dealer said to download the latest updated version. They have a few customers experiencing software problems with their Nav VI. Thank you.

  2. #287
    Registered User dpandorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hpyrider View Post
    Can someone please tell me the latest update version of software for the Nav VI? Having issues with the unit not rebooting after a stop. BMW dealer said to download the latest updated version. They have a few customers experiencing software problems with their Nav VI. Thank you.
    I just checked my unit and I have version 5.50 and North American Map 2020.10.

    May I suggest doing a factory reset and then connecting to Garmin Express to make sure you have the latest updates.

    BMW Navigator VI Factory Reset

    Just know "A master reset will erase your saved information and restore the device to the default factory settings. This will include all saved locations, trips, and tracks. If you would like to back up your saved information to your computer... follow this link: Backing up, Restoring, or Transferring Saved Data on Garmin Automotive Devices"
    Duane Pandorf
    --------------------
    Blog | 2018 S1000XR

  3. #288
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Vestavia Hills, AL
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by dpandorf View Post
    I just checked my unit and I have version 5.50 and North American Map 2020.10.

    May I suggest doing a factory reset and then connecting to Garmin Express to make sure you have the latest updates.

    BMW Navigator VI Factory Reset

    Just know "A master reset will erase your saved information and restore the device to the default factory settings. This will include all saved locations, trips, and tracks. If you would like to back up your saved information to your computer... follow this link: Backing up, Restoring, or Transferring Saved Data on Garmin Automotive Devices"
    Thank you Duane. I just checked mine and I have the same version. I must be up to date.

  4. #289
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hpyrider View Post
    Can someone please tell me the latest update version of software for the Nav VI? Having issues with the unit not rebooting after a stop. BMW dealer said to download the latest updated version. They have a few customers experiencing software problems with their Nav VI. Thank you.
    The newest version of Nav-VI Software is now v5.70. I've been away at the DownEast Rally and just got back. Didn't look to see when it was released but I believe it would be within the past week.

    The condensed release notes don't suggest it will do anything that would address your issue, but it is best to install it and see.
    Name:  Nav-VI software v5.70.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  90.9 KB

    Did you follow Duane's advice (1: Backup the device within Garmin Express and 2: Perform Master Reset)? These are the proper steps to helping resolve many issues.

    Having said that, I'd like a bit more details on what your issue is exactly as I'm not sure at all that it is a Nav-VI or software issue.

    When you say "Having issues with the unit not rebooting after a stop" that leaves a bit of room for interpretation. I'd like to narrow that down.

    Specifically:
    1. has the unit stayed on the bike in the factory GPS holder?
    2. is the issue that when you start the bike after a stop, the GPS does not wake up? (Nav-VI does not get turned off when you turn off the ignition, merely goes into sleep mode)
    3. if #2 is correct, do you take the unit out of the holder and press the on/off button on the back to wake it up?
    4. if #3 works then it is unlikely that it is a software issue but rather a connection issue


    Some folks have had issues with the electrical connections that I believe the dealerships and Garmin are misdiagnosing as unit issues when they are actually issues with the BMW GPS Preparation Unit.

    At the beginning of the riding season here (about 5-6 weeks ago), my Nav-VI started acting up. It would constantly be either rebooting itself or go between being on and sleep mode. The screen was also wandering (map display scrolling from right to left, etc.). I contacted Garmin, sent them a video of the issues and they replaced the unit.

    One week ago I tried the replacement Nav-VI my 2014 R1200RT and the scrolling was no longer an issue but the screen blacking out and the unit re-starting was still there. I then placed the replacement Nav-VI on my new 2019 R1250RT and all issues were resolved. I've just returned from riding the R1250RT for 4 continuous days and the replacement Nav-VI worked without any issues at all. Without doing further testing, this would lead me to suspect that the scrolling issue was due to a fault with my original Nav-VI, but that the screen blacking out and the unit re-starting was an issue with the BMW GPS Preparation Unit of the 2014, as that issue was only present on the 2014 using the same GPS on both bikes.

    A number of people have reported units that did not "wake up" when the bike was re-started and after being directed to clean the electrical contacts on the back of the GPS and on the BMW GPS Preparation Unit, the issue was resolved. These connections have some exposure to the elements (especially if one doesn't use the GPS Prep Unit blank cover when the GPS is removed) and can be susceptible to oxidation. Electrical contact cleaner and a lint-free rag have been known to resolve these issues a few times.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

  5. #290
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    North Texas, USA
    Posts
    148

    Nav VI with Sena 20S EVO and Other Rider Intercom

    After purchasing a new Nav VI, which Garmin already replaced due to issues with it, I now have it back and have it all paired and set up with the 2018 R120RT. All seems to function well and I can control the Nav from the wheel. On the Nav VI, the iPhone is showing as connected and has blue icons for phone and SmartLink. The Sena 20S EVO is also showing as connected and has blue icons for headset and media. So, from that I take it that all is properly connecting.

    I still have to test a few things, but one aspect is bothersome:

    Intercom Cutting Out When GPS Direction Audio Comes In
    When using the rider-to-rider intercom, any time the other rider talks, the audio is interrupted when the Nav GPS speaks instructions. I had to mute the GPS audio so that our intercom audio does not get interrupted all the time.

    Question: Is this by design, or is something still not configured correctly?

    I would assume that in a fully functioning setup I can hear the GPS instructions together with the intercom audio from the other rider. What am I missing?
    Last edited by jbtex; 05-24-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Clarification of Sena 20S EVO used
    Tech on Two Wheels: 2018 R1200RT Mars Red (Mine), 2018 R1200RT Black (My Wife's), 2018 F700GS Racing Blue (Mine), 2018 G310R Black (My Wife's)

  6. #291
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtex View Post

    Intercom Cutting Out When GPS Direction Audio Comes In
    When using the rider-to-rider intercom, any time the other rider talks, the audio is interrupted when the Nav GPS speaks instructions. I had to mute the GPS audio so that our intercom audio does not get interrupted all the time.

    Question: Is this by design, or is something still not configured correctly?

    I would assume that in a fully functioning setup I can hear the GPS instructions together with the intercom audio from the other rider. What am I missing?
    That's how it works with my Nav V and Sena based Coms in our Schuberth C4 helmets.
    This is our first intercom setup so it's possible I don't have things setup correct.
    On our trip to Texas last month I had the Nav on mute most of the time.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  7. #292
    Registered User patm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtex View Post
    After purchasing a new Nav VI, which Garmin already replaced due to issues with it, I now have it back and have it all paired and set up with the 2018 R120RT. All seems to function well and I can control the Nav from the wheel. On the Nav VI, the iPhone is showing as connected and has blue icons for phone and SmartLink. The Sena 20S is also showing as connected and has blue icons for headset and media. So, from that I take it that all is properly connecting.

    I still have to test a few things, but one aspect is bothersome:

    Intercom Cutting Out When GPS Direction Audio Comes In
    When using the rider-to-rider intercom, any time the other rider talks, the audio is interrupted when the Nav GPS speaks instructions. I had to mute the GPS audio so that our intercom audio does not get interrupted all the time.

    Question: Is this by design, or is something still not configured correctly?

    I would assume that in a fully functioning setup I can hear the GPS instructions together with the intercom audio from the other rider. What am I missing?
    That is the default of all the comm device I've had. The Nav interrupts the intercom.
    I'm not sure with the Sena 20s but with my Sena 30K, the app on my cell allows you to configure to only partially interrupt the intercom.
    It does cut down the sound level to the point I hear my partner but can't really talk. And the partner doesn't hear the gps instructions, just that the sound level drops.
    Pat

    Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

  8. #293
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    North Texas, USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    That is the default of all the comm device I've had. The Nav interrupts the intercom.
    I'm not sure with the Sena 20s but with my Sena 30K, the app on my cell allows you to configure to only partially interrupt the intercom.
    It does cut down the sound level to the point I hear my partner but can't really talk. And the partner doesn't hear the gps instructions, just that the sound level drops.
    That would be totally fine and expected, but in my case I cannot hear my wife at all while the GPS instructions are played. Interestingly enough, with the TomTom 550 Rider I had on the previous bike, this worked like a charm and exactly like you described on the 30k, so from that I assume that something else is not configured correctly.
    Tech on Two Wheels: 2018 R1200RT Mars Red (Mine), 2018 R1200RT Black (My Wife's), 2018 F700GS Racing Blue (Mine), 2018 G310R Black (My Wife's)

  9. #294
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtex View Post
    ... Intercom Cutting Out When GPS Direction Audio Comes In
    When using the rider-to-rider intercom, any time the other rider talks, the audio is interrupted when the Nav GPS speaks instructions. I had to mute the GPS audio so that our intercom audio does not get interrupted all the time.

    Question: Is this by design, or is something still not configured correctly?

    I would assume that in a fully functioning setup I can hear the GPS instructions together with the intercom audio from the other rider. What am I missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    That's how it works with my Nav V and Sena based Coms in our Schuberth C4 helmets.
    This is our first intercom setup so it's possible I don't have things setup correct.
    On our trip to Texas last month I had the Nav on mute most of the time.
    As Lee says, I believe that is how it works for the 20S and the Schuberth/Sena SC1 unit.

    Not certain, but I seem to recall that the new SRL2, 20S EVO, and 30K went to dual processors which allows for Sena's Audio Multitasking function to work. It allows simultaneous listening to music/GPS/talk/etc., with the volume automatically decreasing the lower priority volume when a higher priority audio begins, and then increase again once you the higher priority has ended. I think GPS is highest priority, as is likely best.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

  10. #295
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    North Texas, USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    As Lee says, I believe that is how it works for the 20S and the Schuberth/Sena SC1 unit.

    Not certain, but I seem to recall that the new SRL2, 20S EVO, and 30K went to dual processors which allows for Sena's Audio Multitasking function to work. It allows simultaneous listening to music/GPS/talk/etc., with the volume automatically decreasing the lower priority volume when a higher priority audio begins, and then increase again once you the higher priority has ended. I think GPS is highest priority, as is likely best.
    That's my bad. I failed to state that we have the 20S EVO (I'll correct it in the post further up to keep confusion out). So, with that, it would explain why it worked without issues on the TomTom 550 Rider I had before. The 20S EVO is capable of pairing with two sources. It has got to be a setting in the Sena that's not matched. I had to reset the Sena entirely to get the pairing to work with the Nav 6, the BMW RT, and then the iPhone. I must have missed something in the process...
    Tech on Two Wheels: 2018 R1200RT Mars Red (Mine), 2018 R1200RT Black (My Wife's), 2018 F700GS Racing Blue (Mine), 2018 G310R Black (My Wife's)

  11. #296
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtex View Post
    That's my bad. I failed to state that we have the 20S EVO (I'll correct it in the post further up to keep confusion out). So, with that, it would explain why it worked without issues on the TomTom 550 Rider I had before. The 20S EVO is capable of pairing with two sources. It has got to be a setting in the Sena that's not matched. I had to reset the Sena entirely to get the pairing to work with the Nav 6, the BMW RT, and then the iPhone. I must have missed something in the process...
    Try this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nB3JiPEqpQ

    Richard Battles (RKA Luggage) is one of the more knowledgeable folks on this stuff and should be supported for his efforts, like so many others. He has several videos that might be of help and often does Seminars at the MOA Rallies.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

  12. #297
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post

    Richard Battles (RKA Luggage) is one of the more knowledgeable folks on this stuff and should be supported for his efforts,
    I used his video to set up our intercoms. He made it easy to understand.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  13. #298
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    North Texas, USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    Try this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nB3JiPEqpQ

    Richard Battles (RKA Luggage) is one of the more knowledgeable folks on this stuff and should be supported for his efforts, like so many others. He has several videos that might be of help and often does Seminars at the MOA Rallies.
    Yup. Used Richard's videos to get it all set up and unless I missed something should not have the described issue. I'll go another round resetting everything and starting from scratch with his instructions.
    Tech on Two Wheels: 2018 R1200RT Mars Red (Mine), 2018 R1200RT Black (My Wife's), 2018 F700GS Racing Blue (Mine), 2018 G310R Black (My Wife's)

  14. #299

    Navigator VI Setting Question

    I have a 2018 R1200GS that I just purchased. It has the Garmin Motorrrad Navigator VI mounted from the dealer. I've noticed that if I don't ride it for awhile (1 month) the Garmin will not start up when I start the bike and I have to ride it for awhile before I can turn the bike off and on again to get the Garmin to start. Is the battery just dead on the Garmin and it needs charging? I've had other BMW's with the Garmin GPS and never had this issue.

  15. #300
    Registered User dpandorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by harpt58 View Post
    I have a 2018 R1200GS that I just purchased. It has the Garmin Motorrrad Navigator VI mounted from the dealer. I've noticed that if I don't ride it for awhile (1 month) the Garmin will not start up when I start the bike and I have to ride it for awhile before I can turn the bike off and on again to get the Garmin to start. Is the battery just dead on the Garmin and it needs charging? I've had other BMW's with the Garmin GPS and never had this issue.
    Itís happened to me and the Navís charge has run down.
    Duane Pandorf
    --------------------
    Blog | 2018 S1000XR

Similar Threads

  1. New BMW Navigator V tips and tricks
    By moamark in forum Gear
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 07-26-2016, 11:31 AM
  2. Tips/Tricks? Points Gasket Replacement
    By barron_williams in forum Airheads
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 02:25 AM
  3. 1200RT two up riding tricks?
    By gened12 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 06:00 PM
  4. help I need broken rib riding tricks
    By gened12 in forum Campfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 09:08 PM
  5. Tips and Tricks/Newbie Stuff
    By BRADFORDBENN in forum Online Central
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 11:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •