Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Cool Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

Here we go with what we can all hope is another great piece of navigational gear, the Navigator VI (Nav-VI).
    Let's use this thread for info, purchases, impressions and of course- any Tips and Tricks to have it working "just right".
    As random posts appear, we will endeavor to move them here.
    Thanks, The Moderator Team.
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Since Gary has taken the bull by the horns (so to speak), I figured I'd make the first post.

It looks like the Nav V price is tanking as the Nav VI supplies arrive in the US. BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta has the Nav V on sale now for $599. Seems like eBay prices are a lot higher, though.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

Nav 6

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Since Gary has taken the bull by the horns (so to speak), I figured I'd make the first post.

It looks like the Nav V price is tanking as the Nav VI supplies arrive in the US. BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta has the Nav V on sale now for $599. Seems like eBay prices are a lot higher, though.
    Product announcement from local dealer (gateway bmw St. Louis) nav 6 $949 without cradle $999 with cradle plus $100 gift certificate good on next purchase. Seems like nav 6 in very expensive tank.

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Product announcement from local dealer (gateway bmw St. Louis) nav 6 $949 without cradle $999 with cradle plus $100 gift certificate good on next purchase. Seems like nav 6 in very expensive tank.
    I assume these are USD prices...so the CDA price might be 1.36 times higher, approx. if the exchange rate is applied. Else, this might be a good reason for US riders to shop in Canada.

Now, the Nav V was $800 CAD when I bought it in Sep '15 and that was as much as I was willing to pay. Any premium over that - better have a good reason, damn good reasons at that.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    I assume these are USD prices...
    Yes, they are.

...so the CDA price might be 1.36 times higher, approx. if the exchange rate is applied...
    It is very rarely a matter of the actual exchange rate.

It is almost always a combination of:
    • what the exchange rate was when product pricing was done
    • what the anticipation was on the future direction of the currency
    • what the market is perceived to be willing to accept and buy at.

Typically when there are significant currency differences it creates a situation where even though the pricing (currency adjusted) might be identical, the actual pricing will be somewhat lower to make sure the market will actually consider buying the product.

The price difference on a 2017 R1200RT is only 17% more in Cdn $$$ which means the bike actually costs 14% more in the US than Canada on a currency adjusted basis. But these things are dynamic and move back and forth favouring one side vs the other as currencies fluctuate constantly but pricing tends to get locked in for extended periods of time.

Another consideration that is always looked at when pricing a new product is that a devaluing currency (Cdn$ vs US$ over the past while) that country's spending power is reduced on any imported items and therefore tends to get reduced overall, so there is always pressure to keep pricing at something other than the actual exchange rate.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Also bear in mind that the $949 is full retail. There are dealers (here in the U.S.), who will sell at a discount. I ordered a Nav VI on Friday, as part of a group buy, and the dealer offered a sizeable discount (because of the number of people buying).
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    ...so the CDA price might be 1.36 times higher, approx. if the exchange rate is applied. Else, this might be a good reason for US riders to shop in Canada...
    Ed, the Canadian MSRP is $999 or $995 Cdn. My dealer is offering a slight discount off that, but not a lot. They just got a few in and sold 2 on the first morning. I unboxed one today but it didn't have sufficient charge to boot up, so I'll have to wait to check it out in person and on a bike, the true test of the screen for my poor vision.

So I'd agree, with the current exchange rate, it is a good deal for our US cousins who wish to buy here.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

I have an issue with the Nav 6 and wondering if anyone else has this. Under apps in my motorcycle information it appears that the front and rear brake information is reversed. Not sure if it is a GPS issue, a crossed wire or a bike issue. Should I talk with Garmin or the dealer? I will upload a photo shortly.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jpl77 View Post
    I have an issue with the Nav 6 and wondering if anyone else has this. Under apps in my motorcycle information it appears that the front and rear brake information is reversed. Not sure if it is a GPS issue, a crossed wire or a bike issue. Should I talk with Garmin or the dealer? I will upload a photo shortly.
    Same thing on the Nav V.
    I've only looked at that screen once so it doesn't bother me.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Sorry guys... I wiped the data. I need to drive a tour again to take an example photo... Standby

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    So far on my '17 RT the Nav 6 is working fine as the first thing I did was to do all the updates that come with a new unit. Integration with my comm system (Interphone Tour) is great too, but I admit I'm not running music through it either.
    Basecamp is a bit of a learning curve, as last I used a Garmin was 7 years ago when it was Mapsource....
    I used Furuno on my boats after Garmins kept deep-frying themselves in the salt and sun in the Keys...

Mute routing instructions mutes everything

So, I am wondering if anyone else has this issue and knows how to address it. On my 2016 RT, with audio system paired to Sena 20S headset, Nav VI paired to Sena 20S, and Nav VI paired to iPhone:

When listening to audio while having a route on the GPS, if I mute the GPS, the audio system is muted. Since there are times when I don't want to hear the route instructions, but do want to hear the audio, this is an undesired "feature". Verifying that the Sena, Nav VI, and BMW software is up-to-date, has already been done. No difference.

Anyone else encounter this?

As an aside, I also do not have the promised bluetooth streaming ability.

Thanks,
    Scott

1995 R1100R (RIP); 1999 R1100RTP (sold); 2005 R1150R Rockster; 2016 R1200RT

Ed Kilner #176066
    Supose you use the audio system radio with the GPS not muted. Do you hear the radio (the audio system has a mute function, so it must be not muted)? Now, while listening to the radio, mute the GPS. Does this mute the radio?

Also, is the music normally coming from the iPhone?
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Supose you use the audio system radio with the GPS not muted. Do you hear the radio (the audio system has a mute function, so it must be not muted)? Now, while listening to the radio, mute the GPS. Does this mute the radio?

Also, is the music normally coming from the iPhone?
    The music is coming from the stereo, or USB drive. With the GPS muted, via the mute button on the GPS, there is no sound, regardless of the source. However, I did discover this weekend that if I use the Mute command in GPS system menu (accessed by the wonder wheel), only the GPS instructions are muted.

So apparently the BMW audio system completely takes over the GPS functions. Or vice versa... I'm not sure what is going on.
    Scott

1995 R1100R (RIP); 1999 R1100RTP (sold); 2005 R1150R Rockster; 2016 R1200RT

15. 05-08-2017, 12:28 AM