Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best online retailer for BMW riding gear

Best online retailer for BMW riding gear

Any suggestions for the best online retailers for BMW rider's gear? European or North American. Thanks!

For online purchases, I recommend Sierra BMW (in Reno, NV) https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com

Ourstanding customer service, free shipping, and no sales tax (to AZ, at least).

Another good choice is A&S Motorcycles (in Roseville, CA) https://www.ascycles.com

I've dealt quite a bit with Sierra BMW and been very pleased with their customer service.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Get your sizing done locally so that you're sure of the correct size. If you can!
    Boxerbruce

Get your sizing done locally so that you're sure of the correct size.
    And another local brick and mortar shop bites the dust.. ..
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpauley View Post
    Any suggestions for the best online retailers for BMW rider's gear? European or North American. Thanks!
    You don’t mention where you are. If your in the northeast, you can sign up for MAX BMW’s email blasts and watch for the specials.
    Here is the special that just expired-

Save 10% on BMW jackets, pants, gloves, and boots both in store and online.
    Stop in to any MAX BMW location to save, or use code "Summer19" when shopping online.
    THIS ENDS ON SATURDAY, JUNE 22ND! DON'T WAIT!

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    And another local brick and mortar shop bites the dust.. ..
    Re-Fitting local and ordering from far away?
    As far as I’m concerned, Lew is right on this point.
    Supporting a dealer that has gone out on the “financial” limb to stock this expensive gear should be supported as best a customer can......not to mention having staff on hand to help you with the correct fit.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    Get your sizing done locally so that you're sure of the correct size. If you can!
    Unless there's a special sale the online dealer prices are usually the same as your local dealer.
    We usually buy from the place we try on gear.
    Don't be afraid to ask your dealer for a reasonable discount.

My wife tried on some Klim pants at the national and she figured out what waist size she needed but they did not have talls.
    Since they spent time with us and had gear to try on we called them when we returned home and ordered the pants in a tall size.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

And if one attends the International Rally one might find the gear manufacturers on hand doing sizing and styling/function, and they can send you off—usually recommending a local dealer—with a list of correct sizing, etc. Schuberth is one such vendor. They fitted me for a helmet at the SLC rally, and the following spring I bought that helmet—but from my local dealer because I wanted local support on any service or warranty issues. Plus, the dealer transferred over my Sena unit at no charge.

I buy a lot of stuff online, but never gear. It is the hardest stuff to get correct on fitment or to file a warranty claim. And personally, it just doesn’t feel right to use the local guy on sizing then ignore him for the purchase. I think Dante has a level for that...

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

The OP's question regarding "best online retailers" itself raises more questions.

Since the OP is presumably a member of MOA, he must already know that his nearest BMW dealer can supply whatever gear any other BMW retailer can supply. But he asks for "best" and "online". I think that if we knew what he meant by best, and if "online" means able to ship directly to him, the suggestions here could be better focussed.

I'm imagining him as a merchant marine seaman who bought a used BMW from a private party and has no particular allegiance to any dealer, and can't drop in to try on gear. He's at sea now and wants to have gear waiting for him when he returns to where he's storing his bike.

On the other hand, he may simply be seeking the cheapest price delivered to his door and not be concerned about fitting, warranty, and long term financial stability of any particular dealership.
    '17.5 R1200GS
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    My local dealer gives me breaks big enough that online shopping is a moot point.
    I'd rather spend $20 more on riding gear than see them going out of business because of the Chinamart mindset of so many people... YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    I try not to do that..doesn't feel right.

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    I agree completely with the comments above about supporting local and practice it as much as possible, my local dealers will often match or come close enough to online pricing that it isn't even a money issue. As other's have mentioned, I use the National Rallies to do fitting exercises so that I know what sizes actually work for me. Sizing charts are a poor substitute for an actual fitting and moving around opportunity.

When I do need to buy online I've found the following the best (in alphabetical order):

• Bob's BMW (US)
    • Fortnine (Canada)
    • Max BMW (US)
    • Nippy Normans (UK)
    • Revzilla (US)
    • Sierra BMW (US)
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Unfortunately, my "local" dealer is a 2 ˝ hour ride from my house and he typically doesn't keep a very large inventory of gear. I do try to buy something from them when I'm there for service, but shopping for gear there is not easy when it's so far away and it's a crap shoot whether they have my size.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    Unfortunately, my "local" dealer is a 2 ˝ hour ride from my house and he typically doesn't keep a very large inventory of gear. I do try to buy something from them when I'm there for service, but shopping for gear there is not easy when it's so far away and it's a crap shoot whether they have my size.
    Doesn't your "local" dealer have telephone service to help eliminate your shopping "crap shoot"?

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    Call your dealer and ask about making an appointment with whomever oversees their gear sales. Ask “if I find a suit/pants/whatever that I like but you don’t have the right size, will you order it at the same price?
    And if it still isn’t right on the fit, will you work with me on exchanges until it’s right?” I think you’ll find the answers acceptable. And in western Oregon, it’s hard to find a *bad* 2.5hr motorcycle ride.
    Plus, you’ll have some karma in the bank if/when you have a motorcycle problem.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138