Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

Pie,Coffee,Gas,Blacktop gcsitts's Avatar

What is the red "X"?

I'm new to this instrument and can't find the answer in the manual: A red "X" appears on my screen. What is it?
    George Sitts
    Oakhurst, CA

When you look down the road, it seems to never end - but you better believe it does.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsitts View Post
    I'm new to this instrument and can't find the answer in the manual: A red "X" appears on my screen. What is it?
    The Red circle with the red "X" only appears while you are navigating a route.
    It means Stop the route.
    Bernie Echt
    2018 R1200RT-LC Alpenweiss, starting out fresh
    2007 R1200RT Double Silver sold (188702 Smiles), 2000 R11RT sold (105K)
    BMWSportTouring.com, Bumbling BackRoad Riders™, MOA#92589, BMWNEF, BMW-RA, AMA

Navi VI dashboard buttons

Quote Originally Posted by gcsitts View Post
    Check page 6 in the owner's manual for more details - several buttons are available; pdf is 1.6 mb and attachment limit is about 1 mb.

Name:  BMW Navi VI User manual.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  321.9 KB

I have spent hours mapping a trip, little over 4K miles. I go to load it on the NAV VI and It will not import because the trip is too long. I don't understand. I have loaded much longer trips with no problem.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

Is it one endless route or many day trips strung together? I do each day at a time.

Routes are limited to 30 waypoints per trip, although you can have up to 125 non-alerting shaping points between waypoints. If you use more waypoints, the Nav will break the trip into several trips, but this forces a recalculation that may not follow your intended path.

Tracks , which do not provide any navigation instructions, can have 15,000 points each.

This link should be saved by everyone who uses Basecamp with a recent Zumo or Navigator and have had to rely on trial and error to discover how Garmin expected these two products to work together.:
    https://issuu.com/jfheath/docs/zumo_590_and_basecamp_2017

Think of it as the route building manual that Garmin should have provided with every recent Zumo or Navigator. Definitions of terms, what the options mean, how BC interacts with the Zumo/Navigator units, how and when the route is recalculated, transportation modes vs Activity Profiles, and much more, all clearly explained and illustrated with examples. This article answers so many questions it should be required reading. After two years of frustration, aborted rides, web searching and experimentation I'd only learned a portion of what is compiled here.

The author, John Heath, still revises and updates the article as new information comes to light. To be certain that only the most current and correct version is used, he requests that only links to this web version be shared.

John also has a YouTube playlist on this topic: 13 BaseCamp Videos for PC - Issues when using with Zumo Trip Planner In his words: "The video link is also a clickable link on the last page of section 3 in the document itself. This isn't a BaseCamp 'How To' reference - there are plenty of those around much better than I could create - but these relate specifically to the issue of preparing routes for use with the Zumo Trip Planner units."
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

One route, 5 waypoints. I will have to see how many shaping points.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Routes are limited to 30 waypoints per trip, although you can have up to 125 non-alerting shaping points between waypoints. If you use more waypoints, the Nav will break the trip into several trips, but this forces a recalculation that may not follow your intended path.

Tracks , which do not provide any navigation instructions, can have 15,000 points each.

This link should be saved by everyone who uses Basecamp with a recent Zumo or Navigator and have had to rely on trial and error to discover how Garmin expected these two products to work together.:
    https://issuu.com/jfheath/docs/zumo_590_and_basecamp_2017

Think of it as the route building manual that Garmin should have provided with every recent Zumo or Navigator. Definitions of terms, what the options mean, how BC interacts with the Zumo/Navigator units, how and when the route is recalculated, transportation modes vs Activity Profiles, and much more, all clearly explained and illustrated with examples. This article answers so many questions it should be required reading. After two years of frustration, aborted rides, web searching and experimentation I'd only learned a portion of what is compiled here.

The author, John Heath, still revises and updates the article as new information comes to light. To be certain that only the most current and correct version is used, he requests that only links to this web version be shared.

John also has a YouTube playlist on this topic: 13 BaseCamp Videos for PC - Issues when using with Zumo Trip Planner In his words: "The video link is also a clickable link on the last page of section 3 in the document itself. This isn't a BaseCamp 'How To' reference - there are plenty of those around much better than I could create - but these relate specifically to the issue of preparing routes for use with the Zumo Trip Planner units."
    First link is bad.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2018 K1600 GTL Option 719 in Sparkling Storm Metallic
    2004 Honda VTX 1800 Neo-Retro in Titanium

I have the article mentioned. It doesn't apply to my problem. I got the route to import. I shows the correct mileage and all the point but poly 1/3 of the trip shows up on the map. I think I will start from scratch or just put in places I want to visit and use paper maps.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by sandman333 View Post
    First link is bad.

What error are you getting? The link is working here on Windows 7, 10, Linux and Android using Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, and the generic Android browser. Not logged in to the forum, no cookies, cache emptied.

Buck, if you want attach or otherwise share your gpx file maybe we can try to figure out what the problem is?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by bdfbeemer View Post
    One route, 5 waypoints. I will have to see how many shaping points.
    Wow, a route that long with only five waypoints. As mentioned earlier, I'd recommend breaking it up into daily routes. Name the routes in a way that makes sense to you. I'm here on the east coast. If I were heading west, I'd start with W1, W2, W3 etc. For my return trip, they'd be E1, E2, E3 etc. I also add the from/to locations into the route name, such as W1 Home- Columbus 500. The number at the end of the name is the mileage.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

What error are you getting? The link is working here on Windows 7, 10, Linux and Android using Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, and the generic Android browser. Not logged in to the forum, no cookies, cache emptied.

Buck, if you want attach or otherwise share your gpx file maybe we can try to figure out what the problem is?
    Page unavailable at the host site.

2018 K1600 GTL Option 719 in Sparkling Storm Metallic
    2004 Honda VTX 1800 Neo-Retro in Titanium

I was trying a new technique I learned from a tutorial. It is probably better for a short jaunt. I cleaned up the memory card, re-routed using a different technique and in less than 45 minutes it is on the GPS and everything is there. The way I did it this time was very easy. I think after panning so many trips I finally trusted my own way. Eight way points. Start, stop, 5 motels and one restaurant. Several shaping points. On a long trip I don't plan day rides. I get reservations where I think it may be busy and near natural stopping places. Other than that I have no daily expectations. Once I am heading out or home I don't have any idea how long I will ride that day. Once I set sail home I do some long days. Only a few times have I had a hard time finding a room.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by sandman333 View Post
    Page unavailable at the host site.

Maybe a tapatalk issue?

It should come up as the first result if you copy/paste
    site:issuu.com basecamp heath
    into Google.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

15. 03-20-2019, 05:55 PM
    Reason
    duplicate

Maybe a tapatalk issue?

It should come up as the first result if you copy/paste
    site:issuu.com basecamp heath
    into Google.
    I had the same issue. I had to search for it on the site. Now the link works for me.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT