• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

Supose you use the audio system radio with the GPS not muted. Do you hear the radio (the audio system has a mute function, so it must be not muted)? Now, while listening to the radio, mute the GPS. Does this mute the radio?

Also, is the music normally coming from the iPhone?

Supose you use the audio system radio with the GPS not muted. Do you hear the radio (the audio system has a mute function, so it must be not muted)? Now, while listening to the radio, mute the GPS. Does this mute the radio?

Also, is the music normally coming from the iPhone?

The music is coming from the stereo, or USB drive. With the GPS muted, via the mute button on the GPS, there is no sound, regardless of the source. However, I did discover this weekend that if I use the Mute command in GPS system menu (accessed by the wonder wheel), only the GPS instructions are muted.

So apparently the BMW audio system completely takes over the GPS functions. Or vice versa... I'm not sure what is going on.

Garmin just (5/7 in the late afternoon) sent out an update to the "Garmin Express" software. The new version is 5.4.0.0.

Perhaps a Nav-VI update will follow, or perhaps an updated map database.

Ya, I checked yesterday and this morning... No new updates released

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry guys... I wiped the data. I need to drive a tour again to take an example photo... Standby

Finally got the screen shot. How do you think I can fix this?
e650da3d8f5c100137de2d94aea9acce.jpg

Finally got the screen shot. How do you think I can fix this?
e650da3d8f5c100137de2d94aea9acce.jpg

I noticed a similar count of front/rear brake engagements on my Nav V when I was perusing the different screens not long after purchasing my Nav V. I have not looked at that screen view in quite a while though.

More rear use than front use did seem odd to me as well; but I figured with linked brakes, the rear is always used at least as many time as the front. After stopping at a stop light, I sometimes release the front brake and only use the rear to hold the bike still. So the actual number of rear engagements would be higher (my reasoning).

I noticed a similar count of front/rear brake engagements on my Nav V when I was perusing the different screens not long after purchasing my Nav V. I have not looked at that screen view in quite a while though.

More rear use than front use did seem odd to me as well; but I figured with linked brakes, the rear is always used at least as many time as the front. After stopping at a stop light, I sometimes release the front brake and only use the rear to hold the bike still. So the actual number of rear engagements would be higher (my reasoning).
I thought about the linked brakes as well, but didn't really consider extra brake usage while at a stop... That being said the rise I took to get this data wasn't really a lot of stop and go, it was more time time at speed to brake for cornering. Anyways I messaged my salesman and also Garmin support. I'll talk to servicing department in over a week when I stop in to talk with them and show the GPS.

I have an issue with the Nav 6 and wondering if anyone else has this. Under apps in my motorcycle information it appears that the front and rear brake information is reversed. Not sure if it is a GPS issue, a crossed wire or a bike issue. Should I talk with Garmin or the dealer? I will upload a photo shortly.

Same thing on the Nav V.
I've only looked at that screen once so it doesn't bother me.

I thought about the linked brakes as well, but didn't really consider extra brake usage while at a stop... That being said the rise I took to get this data wasn't really a lot of stop and go, it was more time time at speed to brake for cornering. Anyways I messaged my salesman and also Garmin support. I'll talk to servicing department in over a week when I stop in to talk with them and show the GPS.

I'd do an experiment. Start a ride with this screen showing (zero, presumably) and watch how the counts build. If you are on flat ground and can use the front brake lever only, they will presumably show even applications. Then, apply the rear and its count should go up by one only.

You could even do this in your garage, I figure.

I doubt Garmin is doing anything except reporting what the bike sends.

You are asking a lot of the Bluetooth interface to the phone if you expect the Nav VI to control the music on the phone, in my opinion.

My Zumo 595 can control my iPhone's media (look through songs, play, pause, etc) while letting the iPhone stream directly to my headset. Works pretty well, though the iPhone gets annoyed often and starts playing music through my Zumo instead of going straight to the headset. Ahh well.

I was really disappointed to see that my new Nav VI could not control my iPhone at all. Same problem described here; no play or pause button, suggests I wait for the Nav to download my music list.

It would seem BMW's custom software could use some fixes.

Still Waiting on Fix for Nav VI and iPhone

I was really disappointed to see that my new Nav VI could not control my iPhone at all. Same problem described here; no play or pause button, suggests I wait for the Nav to download my music list.

Me too. Still no fix from Garmin for the Nav VI and iPhone on this issue. Have also received no communication from them since I provided diagnostic log files. Very disappointing... has been a couple of months. In case anyone is considering purchasing and is interested in this feature (music streaming from your phone via bluetooth), best to hold off until Garmin fixes.

My Motorcycle, Status and Last Ride

I purchased the new Nav VI unit to go with my new 2016 R1200RT. This is also my first BMW.

This is an expensive unit but I justified the purchase on the new screen which is great, ability to access the unit with the multi-function controller and access to My Motorcycle, Status and Last Ride apps. After using the unit for the last three weeks, it became apparent that the My Motorcycle is not available for my bike. Garmin confirmed that is not available to the RT model. BMW just directed me to the dealer which couldn't answer my questions.

Just want to confirm that other RT users are missing the My Motorcycle on their Nav VI.

It would have been nice if BMW had made the exclusion of specific models clear on their website.

Same here!

Buying the Nav 6 for the screen alone, is not worth it. It took me two weeks to get the Iphone/Nav/Sena connected correctly. Garmin need to have a tighter integration with BMW if rollouts of functionality that are promised are going to have a positive influence on people like us. No wonderwheel integration on my K16, no My Motorcyle, no Last Ride. Had three attempts at doing the "round trip" option, "not available at this time" - yes i had a strong satellite signal.

Overall, 3/10 from me.

My Nav V (not Nav VI) on my '17 R1200GS has my motorcycle, last trip, status, etc. It also integrates with my Samsung phone and Sena 10S without issue. The wonderwheel integration is great and is the main reason I upgraded from my Zumo 665. I know the RT instrument panel has more information displayed than the small panel on my GS, but why not enable all of the functions available to the GPS? :scratch

9/10 (1 point for sunlight issues with screen) from me.

... I know the RT instrument panel has more information displayed than the small panel on my GS, but why not enable all of the functions available to the GPS? :scratch ...
I believe the issue isn't the intrumental panel, but actually the LIN bus system on the bikes. BMW started using the CAN bus system a bit over a decade ago, but have only recently been adding LIN bus to their CAN bus functionality to expand on functions/information/etc without increasing costs too much. The GS has had the ability to show the "My Motorcycle" data since 2013, but the RT has only gotten that as of 2017, IIRC this was due to BMW expanding of the use of that specific LIN bus functionality tp the 2017+ RT. Can't recall where I read that so I can't verify it, but that is my recollectionof what I read.

Back