• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

Can phone volume be increased independently of GPS volume? I can hear Nav 6 directions fine, but incoming calls are too low.

On my Nav V home screen I tap Volume
Next click on the wrench at upper left
Select Audio Mixer
This screen will let you adjust the volume for Navigation, Phone and Media.

Were you using the Garmin-supplied USB cord? My NAV5 will only charge with the Garmin cord that came with the unit. (My NAV5 was an aftermarket unit, purchased w/the $1000 rebate available when I bought my '15 RT, The cord was part of the kit). I've tried to use other after-market, non-Garmin branded USB cords to no avail. I know some members of this forum say I'm nuts -- that USB cords are all the same, but that hasn't been my experience with the NAV5. It is interesting that my other 3 Garmins don't care who made the cord I use to charge them, or whether/not they're on or off if I'm charging them with a wall charger.

Same here. My Nav VI will only charge with the Garmin supplied cable. My first Nav VI started "ghosting" occassionally by year two. It became completely inoperable near the end of year three. I received a replacement 6 weeks ago. Just waiting for Spring now!

On my Nav V home screen I tap Volume
Next click on the wrench at upper left
Select Audio Mixer
This screen will let you adjust the volume for Navigation, Phone and Media.
Thanks! I've never been to the Audio Mixer page - didn't even know it was there despite frequent Nav V and Nav VI use.

Multiple maps: How to tell which is in use?

I have three maps installed on my NAV VI - the Garmin NA map, and two OSM maps. I'm pretty sure that if I download a route from Basecamp, the NAV VI uses the map that Basecamp used (assuming it has it) when I import that route. But I'd like to know, and possibly change, which map the NAV VI is using if I just start up the bike, and maybe I want to create a route from the NAV VI ), but I want it to use a specific map. I see no way to do this - or even to verify which map it is sing.

I spent a good 10 minutes searching this forum and others and find nothing. For other Garmin devices there seems to be a "My Maps" menu item - but not on the NAV VI as far as I can tell.

Hope someone has some insight.

I've found my Nav VI struggles with multiple map sets and can't get a route or track to display correctly if multiple maps are set as on. You can turn off the maps in the settings menus, but not from the map screen like older Garmins.

I've found my Nav VI struggles with multiple map sets and can't get a route or track to display correctly if multiple maps are set as on. You can turn off the maps in the settings menus, but not from the map screen like older Garmins.

Amazed I didn't find that on my own - I thought I'd checked every menu and sub-menu. That at least let's me turn on and off maps, so I can leave only the one I want turned on, and that will work well enough for me. Thanks! :bow

For reference in case this helps someone else: Settings>>Map & Vehicle>>myMaps (you have to scroll down a bit to get to get to myMaps under the Map & Vehicle sub menu).

SENA 50S pairing with NAV VI and iPhone?

This can’t be this hard. Been trying for two days to get my new SENA 50S (updated software) and new NAV VI working together on my 2014 R1200GSA (no TFT).
Been through the manuals for both the NAV VI and SENA 50S. Have tried to search through the forum for a solution but I am obviously not doing the pairing correctly or in the right order.

My expectations are simple.
1) Receive nav instruction from NAV VI to SENA
2) Play media (streaming & stored on connected iPhone) through NAV VI into SENA
3) Send and receive phone calls through SENA (through NAV VI??)
4) Be able to pair with other SENA users (passenger and/or other riders)

Pretty sure that I can make #4 work if I could get the first three items to work.

What I have done:
- Factory reset on SENA 50S & delete all Bluetooth connection on NAV VI
- Made A2DP profile Bluetooth connection between SENA and NAV VI as required for media play by the NAV VI
-checked media play via phone on NAV VI
- Bluetooth connection between NAV VI and iPhone

So far, all I’m getting is a broken sound when streaming audio from the iPhone in media play while the NAV VI becomes almost totally unresponsive when media is playing

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This can’t be this hard. Been trying for two days to get my new SENA 50S (updated software) and new NAV VI working together on my 2014 R1200GSA (no TFT).
Been through the manuals for both the NAV VI and SENA 50S. Have tried to search through the forum for a solution but I am obviously not doing the pairing correctly or in the right order.

My expectations are simple.
1) Receive nav instruction from NAV VI to SENA
2) Play media (streaming & stored on connected iPhone) through NAV VI into SENA
3) Send and receive phone calls through SENA (through NAV VI??)
4) Be able to pair with other SENA users (passenger and/or other riders)

Pretty sure that I can make #4 work if I could get the first three items to work.

What I have done:
- Factory reset on SENA 50S & delete all Bluetooth connection on NAV VI
- Made A2DP profile Bluetooth connection between SENA and NAV VI as required for media play by the NAV VI
-checked media play via phone on NAV VI
- Bluetooth connection between NAV VI and iPhone

So far, all I’m getting is a broken sound when streaming audio from the iPhone in media play while the NAV VI becomes almost totally unresponsive when media is playing

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You need to check and watch the pairing videos on the RKA website. He explains how to pair your BMW WetHead RT to a Sena 50S.
First of all you must understand that you can not pair your Nav6 with your Sena 50S direct, if it is install on a WetHead BMW RT.
1. Your Nav6 is wired to send its instructions through the BMW Radio to the bike speakers.
2. The Nav6, install on an WetHead RT can't answer your phone or control the music on your phone.
3. Watch the RKA videos or modify the speaker wiring using a Motochello Speaker bridge.
4. Playing music from your phone to your Sena 50S will eliminate the possibilities to receive Bluetooth signals from the bike (No GPS instructions).

You need to check and watch the pairing videos on the RKA website. He explains how to pair your BMW WetHead RT to a Sena 50S.
First of all you must understand that you can not pair your Nav6 with your Sena 50S direct, if it is install on a WetHead BMW RT.
1. Your Nav6 is wired to send its instructions through the BMW Radio to the bike speakers.
2. The Nav6, install on an WetHead RT can't answer your phone or control the music on your phone.
3. Watch the RKA videos or modify the speaker wiring using a Motochello Speaker bridge.
4. Playing music from your phone to your Sena 50S will eliminate the possibilities to receive Bluetooth signals from the bike (No GPS instructions).

I’m not riding an RT. I have a 2014 R1200GSA that does not have a BMW sound system. Only the factory install mount on the NAV VI.
I’ve watched the RKA videos but since they incorporate use of a BMW radio that I don’t have - I don’t know how the instructions should be modified.
-David

I’m not riding an RT. I have a 2014 R1200GSA that does not have a BMW sound system. Only the factory install mount on the NAV VI.
I’ve watched the RKA videos but since they incorporate use of a BMW radio that I don’t have - I don’t know how the instructions should be modified.
-David

Sorry my mistake. Can’t help you with that. Call Garmin or check over at ADVRider.

-David
My bike is a 2019 R1250RT with the sound system. I can pair my Sena to the Nav VI and hear the Nav with the sound system off. On the Nav VI menu you can scroll to the pairing setup (sorry, writing this from my office, don't have the Nav in front of me). The Sena pairing menu has a specific GPS setting. So, BMW sound system is OFF, but the NAV VI will connect to my Sena, and I can hear the Nav directions, etc.
iPhone:
I have found the pairing sequence to be very finicky. I'm still trying to work out the best connection order, but this seems to be working for me: 1) turn blue tooth OFF on my phone. 2) turn ON my Sena first . 3) now turn on Bluetooth on the phone, and my phone and Sena seem to pair without trouble.

Dear folks,

Today was a day high in mishaps or really mishap as it was only one. The plastic base plate on my non-bmw must have sheared on I80W in NJ and I ended up dropping my top case. There were many valuables in it, for a 500mi trip with rain expected, one of them was a Nav VI. Police reports filed, insurance will be debated etc. etc.

I've plugged in that Nav VI into garmin express once, checked software etc. Is there a way for me to locate it? Is there a way for me to disable it?

Equ

Is there a way for me to disable it?

Equ

If a honest person finds it they may be able to find you by looking at the Home location stored on the unit.
Did you have Home stored?
Welcome to the forum and good luck.

If a honest person finds it they may be able to find you by looking at the Home location stored on the unit.
Did you have Home stored?
Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Not only did I have home stored, but I had many other items of value in that top case with my address and personal information (except phone number and email) all over it. Fingers crossed, thank you!

This is how I pair my nav 6 to my xr1000. NAV to Sena – Jog 5s – P 1s – P 1s. Jog wheel press 5 secs, then when cued press the phone button 1 sec, when cued push the phone button again for 1 sec. This works every time I have to repair. Make sure everything in unpaired in both devices and in pairing mode.

This is how I pair my nav 6 to my xr1000. NAV to Sena – Jog 5s – P 1s – P 1s. Jog wheel press 5 secs, then when cued press the phone button 1 sec, when cued push the phone button again for 1 sec. This works every time I have to repair. Make sure everything in unpaired in both devices and in pairing mode.

Does this also get you unlimited lives in Commando?

Is the Navigator worth it?

I just bought a used 2020 RT 1250 and am debating on whether to drop big money for the compatible GPS from GARMIN/BMW.
1) Is the Nav VI compatible with my 2020 mount? My online manual references the Nav V.
2) After seeing 356 posts about problems and issues is it worth it?

Zumo XT with adapter - https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.com/en/product-category/motorcycle/bmw-en/bmw-r-1250-rt-lc-en/

I had a few ghosting issues with my Nav VI. I sent it in and got an upgraded replacement. I sold that and bought the Zumo XT for my RT. I ordered an adapter plate from Italy and have not missed the Nav VI. Of course, you lose function with the wonder wheel like on the Nav VI, but I rarely used that feature anyway. The touch screen on the Zumo XT works fine in its place on the dash.

The Nav VI will work on the 2020 RT with the compatible OEM set-up on the dash.

Cheers!

no voice directions from Nav 6

If this question has been answered, please direct me to the previous pertinent post. I am not getting turn-by-turn directional instructions. No audible "turn right on Jones Street". Schuberth SC2 is paired to BMW sound system; I can hear FM radio, etc. I can can hear the Nav 6 only when I go to the Nav menu and right-press Wonderwheel on SPEAK. Only then I can hear Nav 6, e.g., "continue straight ahead to Hwy 41". Is there a setting that I messed with that disabled voice prompts? Help, please. THANK YOU.

I am not getting turn-by-turn directional instructions. No audible "turn right on Jones Street".
Found the setting . On the "Where to?" screen, tap on Volume, then the wrench icon (settings), then tap on Automatic voice prompts. Nav 6 now tells me where to go, just like my wife.

Back