• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

gmore

I was going to install a Boyer electronic ignition on my 78 r80/7 today but noticed that the instructions recommended to install 5k ohm spark plug caps with copper leads. I am looking for advise on where to buy these. I found a set on euro motoelectric site but they indicated they are for later models. Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks

The /7 machines came stock with 5K ohm spark plug caps. I don't know what is meant by copper leads...I suspect they're thinking of the earlier 70's airheads which had 1K ohm caps. The stock 5K ohm caps are blocky...you can get a sense of it in this photo:

R80-7Busfield%20(2).JPG

I have a Boyer on my R80/7 also. Love it! I would recommend you buy your leads directly from Rick Jones at Motored Electric. Scroll down and you'll see he has plug wires specifically for airheads in various colors, with 5 ohm NGK caps for $35. I bought a set to match my /7 in blue. They're high quality and made with copper core wire leads. They work great with the Boyer. www.motoelekt.com/ignition.htm

Unless I am mistaken, the stock BMW caps are also copper core leads with 5 ohm caps, but are styled as you see in Kurt's photo in post #2. It's just a matter of preference and cost... you can get those from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop (www.beemershop.com) or MAX BMW (www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com).
:beer

Thanks for all the info I'll get them ordered,at some point the leads and spark plug caps have been changed on my bike.

+1 on Boyer Bransden

A Boyer micro digital ignition along with a new Dyna coil, NGK caps & wires from Rocky Point Cycle were installed on this '76 R90/6 10 months ago. 5 out of 5 stars!

IMG_1106_2.jpg

The heads were rebuilt by Ted Porter, and Siebenrock 1000cc barrels & pistons installed less than 400 miles ago. Still on the break in :(, but from the seat of the pants. me thinks it's :thumb x 5!

Last edited:
Back