• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help! Acute shoulder pain when distance riding my GTL

rjlueders

I have a 2012 GTL that I primarily enjoy on long distance rides (6+ hours daily). After about 3 hours or so I get acute pain across the top of my shoulders. I wear an Arai Signet Q helmet, mid-range in weight. If anyone has any experience or perspectives I would be most appreciative!

Thanks for the tip!

I generally ride with a lighter jacket; I've made a note to stay away from the heavier ones.

I believe you are suffering from muscle fatigue. More riding and/or exercises that work on the muscles in question should help. You can also change your riding position by using handlebar risers.

Thanks for the info!

I believe you are suffering from muscle fatigue. More riding and/or exercises that work on the muscles in question should help. You can also change your riding position by using handlebar risers.

I'm not sure there are risers made for the GTL, but I can sure beef up my shoulder weight work. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
Gary

Thank you.

I guess it would help if I elaborated.
AS Cycles sells one version.
Helibars sells a version.
A member on the K1600 forum sells a version (the highest lift and most pullback of the 3)

Have you ever tried a kidney belt? They're not "just" for kidneys - they support the lumbars and improve your overall posture.

Have you ever tried a kidney belt? They're not "just" for kidneys - they support the lumbars and improve your overall posture.

Thanks for the thought. I have been considering using a kidney belt and may give one a try on my upcoming trip of about 1700 miles.

I have a 2012 GTL that I primarily enjoy on long distance rides (6+ hours daily). After about 3 hours or so I get acute pain across the top of my shoulders. I wear an Arai Signet Q helmet, mid-range in weight. If anyone has any experience or perspectives I would be most appreciative!

The Russel Day-Long seat change made a world of difference in my back and shoulder fatigue. When I ordered the seat I also added the adjustable back rest. That whole combination has been great and will probably extend my riding years. For what its worth.

I suspect that you are in a riding position with a little more forward lean than your body likes. To level your eyes to the horizon you raise your head a little. After a while you get "stingers" across your neck from shoulder to shoulder. Or, at least I do. Look at the relationship of the handlebar grips to where you sit. Bars up or back, or seat spot forward or down would be my thoughts,

I suspect that you are in a riding position with a little more forward lean than your body likes. To level your eyes to the horizon you raise your head a little. After a while you get "stingers" across your neck from shoulder to shoulder. Or, at least I do. Look at the relationship of the handlebar grips to where you sit. Bars up or back, or seat spot forward or down would be my thoughts,

I think Paul's onto something here. On my pretty-much-naked R1200R - if I ride for long periods of time below about 40MPH, I start getting neck and shoulder aches. Speeding up sorts them right out. The wind is helping support my heavy noggin and helmet (XXL Schubert C3).

If you have an adjustable windshield you might try lowering it a bit to get more wind to your face and torso area, and speeding up.

Optimal speed for me seems to be around 85MPH indicated (78-79 GPS real speed) - I can go pretty much all day at that speed - but some of the LEO's have an issue with it (nominal-max-speed in NJ is 80MPH on almost any divided highway. A bit higher on the NJ Turnpike and parts of the NJ Parkway.) I actually tried a larger windshield again this winter - took one ride with it and came home and went back to my small one. I missed the air holding me up. Above 100MPH I'd actually need the larger windshield since I can't hold on for that long. Tested that completely legally on the Autobahn a few years ago. A naked R1200R could easily do 110-115MPH, but I couldn't for long.

Not sure how tall you are or your leg inseam and arm length, but I'm thinking risers are your best bet (either to bring the bars up higher OR towards you more).

Or maybe just loosening up. It's hard to go through, in a post, the whole process. They key points are 1) to feel, really feel your muscles. Are they tense? Take a break. Try 2) this exercise: sit on the bike (or the ground or a bench), close your eyes and mentally feel your fingers. Let go of any tenseness, move them around as if they're light as balloons. And so on up each arm, to your shoulders and neck. This is easier to explain in person - but the key thing here is to will yourself to relax. I know it seems odd to will yourself to do nothing but relax. With time and patience you'll have it. And it's cheaper and easier than mucking up the bike's ergos. :)

I had a similar problem with my K16GT but the muscle pain was restricted to my left upper back. I tried all sorts of remedies including exercises/stretches and finally found that, for me at least, the cure was bar risers. I got the ones from Jryan ( search for him on the K1600 forum) and the problem resolved itself immediately. I did have to change the brake hydraulic line to the GTL one but this was more for my own anxieties than a necessity ( the line was only just long enough and I wanted a bit of slack at full lock)
It is not difficult to install the risers but best to use a second pair of hands to prevent accidentally scratching up the paintwork
Bruce
Golden BC

Back