• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Eugene OR to Sisters OR

Mark H

Hi to all you Oregon locals.

I'm hoping someone may be able to recommend which route to take for the most fun ride from Eugene to Sisters in Oregon.
Unfortunately, the Old McKenzie Highway into Sisters from the direct west of town will most likely still be closed by snow (we will be there on June 13th).
So there seems to be two options -

Option 1
- Route 126 and then Route 20 into Sisters - Google Maps Link

Option 2 - Marcola Road, then Route 228 and then Route 20 into Sisters - Google Maps Link

I'm thinking that Option 1 may be the best because it takes us past the western end of 242 (Old McKenzie Hwy) just in case it is cleared of snow early.
Also, the run north from that point looks like a fun road.

I like option 1 and have done it many times. It is a scenic route. I don't think you can go wrong on either.

When I travel through the area I almost always stop at Belknap Hot Springs for a deep hot spring soak. It's absolutely delicious and relaxing way to melt off any miles.

Oh, and I doubt McKenzie Pass will open early. It's been one heck of a year here in the Pacific NW with rain and snow in the mountains. Transportation experts say the North Cascades Hwy may not open until July. I know the North Cascades is a long way from McKenzie Pass but just saying.

Not a local, but I've ridden lots of that area -
I never found a "bad" road anywhere, it was ALL good!
And do watch for cops; they're pretty serious about the speed limit.

It's been one heck of a year here in the Pacific NW with rain and snow in the mountains. Transportation experts say the North Cascades Hwy may not open until July. I know the North Cascades is a long way from McKenzie Pass but just saying.

Funny you should mention the North Cascades highway - we are planning to ride that road from West to East a few days earlier in the trip.
From an overnight stay in Vancouver, we are hoping to ride a little south to pick up Hwy 20 and then head east to Twisp. We had the chance to ride this road back in 2014 on a previous trip (East to West that time) and it was spectacular. I hope the snow plows can get in and clear the blacktop for us.

Not a lot of options in that part of Washington. The following day we were going to ride the reverse direction to then head south towards Cle Elum - LINK. From that side of the mountains we could avoid the pass but the run is not as scenic - LINK

Anyway - there are still 43 days until we fly out from Oz, so plenty of time for the sun and the road crews to do their job.:dance

+1 on Option 1...I also have ridden it many times. Too bad your trip isn't later in the summer as the MacKenzie Highway is not to be missed when it's open. Unfortunately, I would also highly doubt they'll have it open the first of June with the snow year we've had.

Back