• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Uncomfortable passenger

tubaguy

NYrider
I have been riding for 37 years, and for the first time my wife is complaining of a rough ride as pillion. The wind is beating her up. I ride a 2014 RTW. I have tried setting the (stock) windshield all the way up, and all the way down, and everything in between. I have tried with and without the top box. It's mostly at highway speeds. I'm 5'11". She's 5'7". Has anyone else experienced this problem with their passenger, and this bike? If so, any recommendations on what to do? Did you switch windscreens? if so which one? Thanks. (BTW, I get virtually no wind. I love the stock windshield)

I'm 5'8" and my wife is 5'5". She definitely complained of the wind with the stock windshield, so I switched to the Werks windshield. It was a substantial improvement, although she says there is still some wind compared to the LT. She says not enough to be unbearable, but definitely some wind flow. She also says the Schuberth C3 Pro she wears is very quiet and helps.

I switched to the Werks windshield. It was a substantial improvement, although she says there is still some wind compared to the LT. She says not enough to be unbearable, but definitely some wind flow. She also says the Schuberth C3 Pro she wears is very quiet and helps.

+1, on Werks windshield and C3 Pro, wind noise is much reduced, for both of us.

..Was it better for your passenger also? And is that an extra large version of the stock?

Yes it's a larger version of stock. I tried a Werks for about 1000 mi and although raised to medium height I found it smoothed the air for me somewhat it increased turbulence for the passenger's head at 60mph. Many riders like the Werks and YMMV regarding wind but another important consideration for me is visual clarity. I rarely look through windshields but during a heavy rain when I needed to raise it highest its curved optical distortion was a real problem for me being able to see potholes and such. This happens with any windshield with a flip/curved top lip design like Werks. The standard OEM and Comfort shield have very little distortion when you need to look through them, and that's important to me. I'm not bashing Werks; it's well-made and well-priced and I tried it but it didn't meet my needs. My 2c.

Check this video out, I thought it was worth it to go aeroflow

https://youtu.be/jn5WHoMcSeo
My wife and I love the Aeroflow,large..and the airflow/pocket it provides...
I would love to bring it in to our wind tunnel at work. But I don't think they would let me.

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/jn5WHoMcSeo
My wife and I love the Aeroflow,large..and the airflow/pocket it provides...
I would love to bring it in to our wind tunnel at work. But I don't think they would let me.
...Thank you very much for this. The flare up at the top of the Aeroflow tall shield doesn't bother you, optically? If you keep it just below eye level and look at the road conditions, is there distortion?

Ztechnik

This is great to know. Which size did you guys get? Also, anyone try a Ztechnik windscreen?

I bought the VStream Touring Windscreen

http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/motorcycle-1/bmw/bmwr1200rt/2014bmwr1200rt/z2351.html

I love it. Yes, it will go higher than the stock screen (because it doesn't have that crescent shaped cut out across the top) but the interesting thing to me is that I actually ride with it lower than I did with the stock windscreen and yet get no wind buffeting and no wind noise. I think it's because of the cross section shape of the screen which is "humped" and not flat like the stock one.

I rented a 2016 RT a few weeks ago for a week's ride in LA and it had the stock screen. Now I remember why I bought the VStream - the difference is night and day.

+3 on the Werks. Much improved for pillion, less buffeting for me on sides plus Schuberth for both of us works well.

I bought the VStream Touring Windscreen

http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/motorcycle-1/bmw/bmwr1200rt/2014bmwr1200rt/z2351.html

I love it. Yes, it will go higher than the stock screen (because it doesn't have that crescent shaped cut out across the top) but the interesting thing to me is that I actually ride with it lower than I did with the stock windscreen and yet get no wind buffeting and no wind noise. I think it's because of the cross section shape of the screen which is "humped" and not flat like the stock one.

I rented a 2016 RT a few weeks ago for a week's ride in LA and it had the stock screen. Now I remember why I bought the VStream - the difference is night and day.

Thanks Bob. Did your passenger notice a big difference also?

Last edited:
+ for the Weeks. It is quiet enough that I can listen to the radio at 90 mph riding out in nowheresville. My wife says that it was an improvement over the stock, which aside from being noisier was pretty good for me. She rode home with me from CA last summer, and didn't complain about comfort at all. (Seats by Russell didn't hurt.)

Doesn't bother me

...Thank you very much for this. The flare up at the top of the Aeroflow tall shield doesn't bother you, optically? If you keep it just below eye level and look at the road conditions, is there distortion?

The slight distortion does not bother me, my view Is typically over the shield..but the times I have had it fully extended, it does not bother me...

And btw your welcome for reposting that video

The slight distortion does not bother me, my view Is typically over the shield..but the times I have had it fully extended, it does not bother me...

And btw your welcome for reposting that video

..I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this based on your good research.
Here are the options for size on their site:

Actual length of AeroScreens when measured from top to bottom:
Standard: 23 3/4"
Medium: 25 1/4"
Tall: 26 3/4"
Extra Tall: 28 1/4" - Coming mid-February
..You said you liked the large. Which one of these is that?

Here is the description..

..I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this based on your good research.
Here are the options for size on their site:

Actual length of AeroScreens when measured from top to bottom:
Standard: 23 3/4"
Medium: 25 1/4"
Tall: 26 3/4"
Extra Tall: 28 1/4" - Coming mid-February
..You said you liked the large. Which one of these is that?

This is what I ordered.
R1200RTW Tall Height AeroScreen ('14-On)

Back