• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ethanol Pushback?

In my previous posts, I stated that corn syrup and oil were the forms by which we consume field corn. I over looked corn meal (round pig feed) and corn flour (finely ground pig feeed).

The fine folks traveling through the Amana Colonies may see sweet corn on the cob or whole kernel in the can or freezer as all there is to corn. But here, near where we live, corn meal and masa are staples in the diet just south of the border in Mexico, and north of the border among the hispanic population. We just this very morning bought a whole bag of tamales from a nice hispanic lady.

It should be less about what it is used for - burning in cars - and more about what it could be used for - feeding a hungry world.

The fine folks traveling through the Amana Colonies may see sweet corn on the cob or whole kernel in the can or freezer as all there is to corn. But here, near where we live, corn meal and masa are staples in the diet just south of the border in Mexico, and north of the border among the hispanic population. We just this very morning bought a whole bag of tamales from a nice hispanic lady.

It should be less about what it is used for - burning in cars - and more about what it could be used for - feeding a hungry world.

A high corn diet isn't that great for you or your animals. It quickly adds weight but is hard to digest. Diseases of the liver, pancreas and kidney are some of the long term outcomes.

A high corn diet isn't that great for you or your animals. It quickly adds weight but is hard to digest. Diseases of the liver, pancreas and kidney are some of the long term outcomes.

Oh sure! How many acres of corn do you grow? :)

Maybe you could feed the world with some of those 1.5 million wild hogs you got in Texas, eh Paul? Fatten them up a bit with the DDG left over from the ethanol process.

Maybe you could feed the world with some of those 1.5 million wild hogs you got in Texas, eh Paul? Fatten them up a bit with the DDG left over from the ethanol process.

First you would have to round them up, and all the good wranglers are busy with cows and such. :)

Texas and other southern states already have a thriving business arising from the feral hogs. My brother-in-law and his SIL paid good money to go on a guided feral hog hunt, using spears and machetes. They had a grand time, killed a couple of hogs that were quickly field-dressed and hung in the guide's cooler, and even got some money back on the hunt as they watched the Hormel truck drive off the next morning with the two carcasses swinging in the back.

It's a very lean and somewhat gamey pork that would likely improve with some pre-slaughter corn feeding.

Best,
DG

Texas and other southern states already have a thriving business arising from the feral hogs. My brother-in-law and his SIL paid good money to go on a guided feral hog hunt, using spears and machetes. They had a grand time, killed a couple of hogs that were quickly field-dressed and hung in the guide's cooler, and even got some money back on the hunt as they watched the Hormel truck drive off the next morning with the two carcasses swinging in the back.

It's a very lean and somewhat gamey pork that would likely improve with some pre-slaughter corn feeding.

Best,
DG

How can Hormel take a game and feral animal for commercial (human) food processing?

Ethanol can raise the octane some but alcohol has 30% less heat energy than gasoline. More alcohol = less mileage. When I ran alcohol in my race bikes the jetting had to be increased by 50 to 60% to get the same heat energy as gas.

Ethanol can raise the octane some but alcohol has 30% less heat energy than gasoline. More alcohol = less mileage. When I ran alcohol in my race bikes the jetting had to be increased by 50 to 60% to get the same heat energy as gas.
Sorry guy, but when will you ever learn? Don't try to use scientific fact to influence what is a purely political issue. :)

Sorry guy, but when will you ever learn? Don't try to use scientific fact to influence what is a purely political issue. :)

Indeed. Facts will never overcome campaign contributions to Congressmen. Big agra will get what it wants, the people be damned.

What's in your cornfield?

Nothing in the corn field these days besides corn. The center to center spacing of the stalks is now so tight you can/t walk into a corn field the way you used to.

Back