• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1987 K75C 34.6K Oldest Karibic Bleu Brake Rotor Nut question

pjar

PeteG
I'm a bit embarrassed to have to ask this but here goes.

I'm replacing the front brake rotors. The new nuts have a knurled side that is a smaller diameter than the non-knurled side. Which side rests against the washer and why is one side knurled?

Pic attached. Not very sharp but you should get the idea. The knurl is on the bottom in the shown pic.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Attachments

• DCP_0002.jpg
    DCP_0002.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 84
Pete,

The nuts are self locking nuts (no lock washer or loctite required when new). You may be more familiar with Nylock self locking nuts with the nylon insert.

The nuts you have, have a slight crimp in the diameter at the smaller end (the end facing down in your photo). When new, this causes a slight interference fit when the bolt reaches those threads. The bolt is started on the large diameter (top) end of the nut and after a few turns, gets tighter. These nuts, being all steel, have a higher temp capacity than nylon locking nuts (probably a good thing near brakes).

These are officially intended as a one use nut, as the deformation (locking capability) is reduced slightly after even one use, but a drop of red Loctite will let you reuse these with no worries.

After all that; necked down side out.

:dance:dance:dance

I'm a bit embarrassed to have to ask this but here goes.

I'm replacing the front brake rotors. The new nuts have a knurled side that is a smaller diameter than the non-knurled side. Which side rests against the washer and why is one side knurled?

Pic attached. Not very sharp but you should get the idea. The knurl is on the bottom in the shown pic.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

What does the rest of the bike look like?

Rotor and Pad replacement update

Hello,

R&R went fine. I work slow and methodically so it took me a fair amount of time. The only temporary hitch was with new rotors and pads the pads would not insert with calipers mounted and torqued.

I removed calipers, made sure pistons moved easily and were fully recessed, mounted calipers lightly (bolts tightened by hand) and then inserted pads while jiggling calipers as needed. That worked. After torquing the caliper the pads slipped up or down easily.

Lee if you have another super slick black magic solution please share it. Thanks again for you help.

The brakes perform well with no squealing or pulsing after a test ride. It was refreshing!

Pete

Attached is a pic

What does the rest of the bike look like?

Picture attached with previous owner.

The original owner added a fuel gauge (left) and temp gauge (right peeking out behind the brake fluid reservoir). The fuel gauge is unnecessary IMHO, but the temp gauge is nice and enables you to know if the fan engages at the right temp.

Enjoy!
pete

Attachments

• K75 cropped.jpg
    K75 cropped.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 64
Pete,

Are you putting in new STOCK rotors or AFTERMARKET rotors?

If they are aftermarket, if you have the capability, measure the thickness. Aftermarket rotors may be a few thousandths thicker than stock, which might make it a little harder to install new pads.

Which pads are you using and are they FA-18 pad size? What is their thickness?

Stock pads with stock rotors: remove pads, retract pistons, install new pads. Nothing special.

Pete,

Are you putting in new STOCK rotors or AFTERMARKET rotors?

If they are aftermarket, if you have the capability, measure the thickness. Aftermarket rotors may be a few thousandths thicker than stock, which might make it a little harder to install new pads.

Which pads are you using and are they FA-18 pad size? What is their thickness?

Stock pads with stock rotors: remove pads, retract pistons, install new pads. Nothing special.

Hi Lee,

EBC rotors with EBC organic pads (FA-18). Thickness of the rotors is .2005" I'm thinking I may not have had the pistons completely retracted on the initial try. I haven't checked the thickness of the pads, but there is no binding when I spin the wheel. It feels normal.

Pete

Hi Lee,

EBC rotors with EBC organic pads (FA-18). Thickness of the rotors is .2005" I'm thinking I may not have had the pistons completely retracted on the initial try. I haven't checked the thickness of the pads, but there is no binding when I spin the wheel. It feels normal.

Pete

This is why I'm not a mechanic because I sometimes overlook the obvious. The prior rotor/pad set up squealed a lot. I used CRC Disc Brake Quiet to try to stop the squealing. That worked for about 24 hours. When I removed the calipers I noticed there was build up of the Disc Brake Quiet on the outer edge of the piston and on the dust cover. That too may have contributed to my initial difficulty inserting the pads.

Pete

This is why I'm not a mechanic because I sometimes overlook the obvious. The prior rotor/pad set up squealed a lot. I used CRC Disc Brake Quiet to try to stop the squealing. That worked for about 24 hours.

Pete

They all do that, really. The trick is to brake harder, really. Just like pre-loading the shifter, it's a BMW feature, not a quirk.

They all do that, really.

Not really.

Less than 2% of the K75/100s that I've seen or worked on had squealing brakes. The ones that wanted that fixed were corrected with new pads and proper break in.

Squealing indicates SOMETHING is not happy at the pad/rotor interface. Usually the problem is glazed pads. Sometimes it is just the pad material (I like the EBC HH pads). Sometimes it is the rotor surface that has developed issues.

Not really.

Less than 2% of the K75/100s that I've seen or worked on had squealing brakes. The ones that wanted that fixed were corrected with new pads and proper break in.

Squealing indicates SOMETHING is not happy at the pad/rotor interface. Usually the problem is glazed pads. Sometimes it is just the pad material (I like the EBC HH pads). Sometimes it is the rotor surface that has developed issues.

Lee, you are spot on again. I previously bought used rotors, one of them had some run-out, but much less than the ones that I was replacing. What I didn't know and didn't thoroughly research was to replace the pads when replacing the rotors. I used the original 29-year-old pads and they squealed like hell. So yes, they were most likely glazed. So far the new set up is working great (new pads and rotors). It was worth the expense. Thank you!

pete

Back