• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The best kept secret in the northeast

Friedle

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair
22 ND ANNUAL "AIRHEADS AT THE AERODROME" CAMPOUT

Mid Hudson Valley, New York June 23-25, 2017

THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE NORTH

This year we will be celebrating our twenty second year of fun at Dutchess County Wilcox Park, located one mile east of the Taconic Parkway on Route 199 in Milan, NY.

Come join us for two nights camping with lots of shaded camping space. Clean restrooms, free hot showers, covered pavilion, swimming lake, boating and fishing lake, fields, hiking trails and many great local riding roads. Renowned Chef Karla will once again prepare her fabulous Saturday night steak, and LOTS more, dinner (ONLY for those whose pre-paid pre-registrations are postmarked by 7 June 2017). There are restaurants and stores about 8 miles east in Pine Plains, NY or 10 miles west in Rhinebeck, NY for those who choose not to pre-register (and hope there will be room) or wish to fix their own meals. Cooking and campfires on site are permitted. BTW, vegetarian and vegan entrees are also offered for the non-face eaters as part of the 80' long buffet spread.

All brands of motorcycles are welcome, not just BMW airheads, but please, NO LOUD PIPES. There will also be an informal swap meet for those who wish to bring along motorcycle related parts to sell. Swap meet vendor spaces are free. You can still ride to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome on Saturday afternoon for an amazing air show. (Air show admission not included in the rally fee, www.oldrhinebeck.org) We will also offer the choice of a self-guided ride to the 85,000 sq. ft. Motorcyclepedia Museum in Newburgh, NY featuring over 500 motorcycles and other attractions. www.motorcyclepediamuseum.org Lots of local historical attractions, agricultural sites, and even distilleries and wineries to visit.

NEW AGAIN THIS YEAR! Friday Tech Day presented by reknown Airhead builder, customizer and restorer Anthony Lonigro, supported by several former PA SuperTech presenters. Bring your questions, projects (with needed parts and fluids) and desire to learn. Questions are free, answers start at $3 each, projects will be addressed as time and space allows. No “bikes in a box“ PLEASE ! Drinks, food and a donation can will be there for Tech Day support

Motor home/camper electrical and water hookup spaces are limited, so please request early. Parking for four wheelers and trailers is available on site. Contact me for local lodging information for the camping challenged. Note: Campers, motor homes and trailers are not permitted on the Taconic Parkway. Contact me for alternate routes to the site.

Last year, as always, we had to turn a few people away at the gate because this event is that good and space is still limited. EARLY pre-registration is strongly suggested! Do not wait, mail your check today.
Cost for the weekend camping (including Saturday night dinner for the (pre-registered) is only $35.00 per person, children 12 and under are admitted free. Please make your checks out to Michael Friedle. All BMW riders and their guests are welcome. Questions, directions, information or to pre-register, Michael Friedle, 8 College Ave, Poughkeepsie, NY, 12603; 845-473-1337; mfriedle@verizon.net. Please include an e mail address, or phone number, with your check so I may confirm your registration. See you there soon.

Michael, Karla and Alice Friedle

Starting to fill up. Don't wait too long if you are thinking of joining us. Pre registration only, we have sold out for the past 10 years.

22nd annual Airheads at the Aerodrome

If you haven't acted yet time is getting short. Don't get left behind, waiting another year till next June to join us. Find out for yourself why it has been the best kept secret in the Northeast for so many years. :)

Friedle

The best kept secret in ther Northeast

Sorry for the delay in writing a wrap up report. I took four days off to make this happen and it has taken four weeks to get caught up again.

I want to first thank all the fine people who came in from Wisconsin to Maine to North Carolina for their continuing support for this event, our 22nd year.

The gathering runs from Friday noon to Sunday am, but a few people who have been coming for years have started arriving on Thursday, making their own arrangements with the Park for Thursday and maybe grabbing their favorite site. It is not an attempt to grab the best site, they are ALL nice sites, but I think it is just to enjoy an extra day at the Park and take advantage of the many things to see and do in the mid Hudson Valley.

The weather cooperated, with a few light sprinkles on Friday with light rain Friday and Saturday nights providing a soothing white noise background to lull campers to sleep. During the day Friday we held a Tech Day under the cover of the dinner pavilion where any topic was fair game. Jean Lachaud brought up a freshly restored frame and a new wiring harness and gave a very informative discussion of all things electrical on your Airhead. There were no shortage of helped and helpful Airheads all having a good time and maybe even learning stuff while engaging in the traditional pass time of kicking tires and telling tales. Riders were dropping in all day long, addressing various issues and then hitting the local roads again. The historic houses along the Hudson (FDR Library, Vanderbilt House, Mills Mansion, Clermont, Livingston estate and others) had a number of visitors; others went to visit the Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome or maybe the Motorcyclepedia Museum's 85,000 sp ft display of all things motorcycle related; others headed out to local vineyards or distillers to pick up something for the campfire that evening; and others just went exploring. It's hard to find a bad road in the area.

Some people prepared their own dinners Friday evening while many ventured out to nearby Rhinebeck to sample the large variety of offerings. We are blessed with having the Culinary Institute of America right here, and many local restaurants are staffed by either current students or graduates of the CIA. If you can't find something you like around here, you're just not trying.

Saturday morning the rain ended just in time for the hordes of campers, large mugs and cups in hand, to rush the coffee pots in the pavilion. I understand the need for morning coffee, but please don't be upset when it is not yet ready at 0430 when you show up. 100 cup pots take a while to brew! Sugar, milk, half and half, paper cups, stirrers and more are provided. Cheryl Belle even provided homemade baked goods to go with the fresh coffee. Normally the coffee is set up by the registration area (my tent) but due to the evening rain the coffee pots were moved under the cover of the pavilion. Thank God the walk to the pavilion was downhill. Small groups departed for breakfast runs, some not to be seen again till just before dinner time.

Speaking of dinner time, once again the fabulous Chef Karla and her crew served up an 80 foot long buffet line of meat and vegan and vegetarian dishes. Nancy Lonagrio helped fill the desert table with cakes, cookies and fresh fruit. Second helpings were mandatory, thirds were encouraged. Gallon sized baggies were offered for those who would like to take some more home with them. We even kept the baggies in the cooler overnight until you left on Sunday. Sunday morning the leftover cookies and brownies were served with fresh coffee. Cleanup was easy.

Once again the event was sold out by pre registration. We can only accommodate about 120 people for the weekend hence the pre registration requirement. Chef Karla works very hard the proceeding week to get everything ready. She would not be happy if I called her Friday evening to say that an extra 50 people had shown up expecting to be fed. I have come to like sleeping inside my house!

This year a few pre registered campers choose for whatever reason not to show up at the event. The visitors at the Saguerties Mens Homeless Shelter were very grateful for the donation of your leftover dinners. I would like to see you in person next year, but you can take some comfort in knowing some homeless person was very well fed that night.

All in all, another fine weekend in the book. Planning begins for the 23rd edition, as always the weekend after Fathers Day. Pre registrations will be accepted after 1 Jan 2018. Hope to see you there.

Thanks again from Michael and Karla Friedle and all our helpers.

Pics

Sorry for the delay in writing a wrap up report. I took four days off to make this happen and it has taken four weeks to get caught up again.

I want to first thank all the fine people who came in from Wisconsin to Maine to North Carolina for their continuing support for this event, our 22nd year.

The gathering runs from Friday noon to Sunday am, but a few people who have been coming for years have started arriving on Thursday, making their own arrangements with the Park for Thursday and maybe grabbing their favorite site. It is not an attempt to grab the best site, they are ALL nice sites, but I think it is just to enjoy an extra day at the Park and take advantage of the many things to see and do in the mid Hudson Valley.

The weather cooperated, with a few light sprinkles on Friday with light rain Friday and Saturday nights providing a soothing white noise background to lull campers to sleep. During the day Friday we held a Tech Day under the cover of the dinner pavilion where any topic was fair game. Jean Lachaud brought up a freshly restored frame and a new wiring harness and gave a very informative discussion of all things electrical on your Airhead. There were no shortage of helped and helpful Airheads all having a good time and maybe even learning stuff while engaging in the traditional pass time of kicking tires and telling tales. Riders were dropping in all day long, addressing various issues and then hitting the local roads again. The historic houses along the Hudson (FDR Library, Vanderbilt House, Mills Mansion, Clermont, Livingston estate and others) had a number of visitors; others went to visit the Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome or maybe the Motorcyclepedia Museum's 85,000 sp ft display of all things motorcycle related; others headed out to local vineyards or distillers to pick up something for the campfire that evening; and others just went exploring. It's hard to find a bad road in the area.

Some people prepared their own dinners Friday evening while many ventured out to nearby Rhinebeck to sample the large variety of offerings. We are blessed with having the Culinary Institute of America right here, and many local restaurants are staffed by either current students or graduates of the CIA. If you can't find something you like around here, you're just not trying.

Saturday morning the rain ended just in time for the hordes of campers, large mugs and cups in hand, to rush the coffee pots in the pavilion. I understand the need for morning coffee, but please don't be upset when it is not yet ready at 0430 when you show up. 100 cup pots take a while to brew! Sugar, milk, half and half, paper cups, stirrers and more are provided. Cheryl Belle even provided homemade baked goods to go with the fresh coffee. Normally the coffee is set up by the registration area (my tent) but due to the evening rain the coffee pots were moved under the cover of the pavilion. Thank God the walk to the pavilion was downhill. Small groups departed for breakfast runs, some not to be seen again till just before dinner time.

Speaking of dinner time, once again the fabulous Chef Karla and her crew served up an 80 foot long buffet line of meat and vegan and vegetarian dishes. Nancy Lonagrio helped fill the desert table with cakes, cookies and fresh fruit. Second helpings were mandatory, thirds were encouraged. Gallon sized baggies were offered for those who would like to take some more home with them. We even kept the baggies in the cooler overnight until you left on Sunday. Sunday morning the leftover cookies and brownies were served with fresh coffee. Cleanup was easy.

Once again the event was sold out by pre registration. We can only accommodate about 120 people for the weekend hence the pre registration requirement. Chef Karla works very hard the proceeding week to get everything ready. She would not be happy if I called her Friday evening to say that an extra 50 people had shown up expecting to be fed. I have come to like sleeping inside my house!

This year a few pre registered campers choose for whatever reason not to show up at the event. The visitors at the Saguerties Mens Homeless Shelter were very grateful for the donation of your leftover dinners. I would like to see you in person next year, but you can take some comfort in knowing some homeless person was very well fed that night.

All in all, another fine weekend in the book. Planning begins for the 23rd edition, as always the weekend after Fathers Day. Pre registrations will be accepted after 1 Jan 2018. Hope to see you there.

Thanks again from Michael and Karla Friedle and all our helpers.
would love to see pictures of the event.

best kept secret in the northeast

would love to see pictures of the event.

None of the openings in my laptop is wide enough to stuff a 35mm slide into. :violin

You'll just have to take a chance and see for yourself why this event sells out every year with no publicity or advertising for the past ten years. This June will be our 23rd year. God bless the fabulous Chef Karla and her crew. :dance

Friedle

Back